Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Kitchen Faucet Clog/Removal

I have a 2014 DS30 FR3, and on our last trip, the cold water side of the kitchen faucet turned to a slow trickle. The hot water was fine. I took off the aerator to check for debris, all clear. I then took off the cold water supply and turned on the pump and it seems like there's a good flow on the water supply, which makes me think it may be the faucet itself. I took the faucet apart (from the top side) and tried clean all the holes to see if there was a clog, and with it apart, turned on the pump and could see the cold water slowly coming out.

I'm thinking of changing out the faucet, but I'm finding it difficult to reach the hot water supply to remove the old on, and the hot water supply seems to be screwed on too tight to hand turn it. I can't get a wrench/pliers in the small area to try and remove it that way.

I'm looking for suggestions on where the clog might be? And has anyone changed out their kitchen faucet on their FR3, and if so, what brand did you go with and can you provide any tips on the removal of the faucet.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

I would remove the cold water handle on the faucet (if you can) and remove the valve/cartridge under it to see if it's fouled.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
I would remove the cold water handle on the faucet (if you can) and remove the valve/cartridge under it to see if it's fouled.
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I tried that and couldn't find anything. If it's clogged in the valve I don't see how I could get to it, other than removing the entire faucet, which I'm already having problems doing. But thanks again
Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsWhoDat View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I tried that and couldn't find anything. If it's clogged in the valve I don't see how I could get to it, other than removing the entire faucet, which I'm already having problems doing. But thanks again
Id do some more troubleshooting, doubtful the fixture itself is bad, would suspect a chunk of foreign matter got through, plastic shavings, etc. Might be further upstream than the fixture itself.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Team

The clog is most likely in the body of the cartridge. You'll have to pull the seals out of the cartridge to see the small ports which is likely where the debris is.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The clog is most likely in the body of the cartridge. You'll have to pull the seals out of the cartridge to see the small ports which is likely where the debris is.

Yes, this ^^^^^
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a 2014 DS30 FR3, and on our last trip, the cold water side of the kitchen faucet turned to a slow trickle. The hot water was fine. I took off the aerator to check for debris, all clear. I then took off the cold water supply and turned on the pump and it seems like there's a good flow on the water supply, which makes me think it may be the faucet itself. I took the faucet apart (from the top side) and tried clean all the holes to see if there was a clog, and with it apart, turned on the pump and could see the cold water slowly coming out.

I'm thinking of changing out the faucet, but I'm finding it difficult to reach the hot water supply to remove the old on, and the hot water supply seems to be screwed on too tight to hand turn it. I can't get a wrench/pliers in the small area to try and remove it that way.

I'm looking for suggestions on where the clog might be? And has anyone changed out their kitchen faucet on their FR3, and if so, what brand did you go with and can you provide any tips on the removal of the faucet.

Thanks for any replies.
See my post: FR3>FR3 Pictures of Mods[425]Kitchen & Bathroom faucets

I purchased the faucets at Costco.

I used two Lowes: Keeney Brass 1/2-in PEX Barb x 3/8-in Compression Quarter Turn Straight Valve for each faucet. I already had a pex tool kit. But there is a shark-bite version.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:

One of these is often a huge help: (Basin Wrench)

https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-WRN9...s%2C191&sr=8-3

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
See my post: FR3>FR3 Pictures of Mods[425]Kitchen & Bathroom faucets

I purchased the faucets at Costco.

I used two Lowes: Keeney Brass 1/2-in PEX Barb x 3/8-in Compression Quarter Turn Straight Valve for each faucet. I already had a pex tool kit. But there is a shark-bite version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsWhoDat
(copied from 'Thanks')
Thanks, I'll check it out. How much trouble did you have getting the old kitchen faucet off
Answer: Easy. After removing Pex connection, there is any other nut holding the faucet on. I shortened the Pex pipe & installed the new Keeney Brass 1/2-in PEX Barb x 3/8-in Compression Quarter Turn Straight Valve.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170706_192354 Crop2 before Sink.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	211410
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

This is where I always start with the problem you have:

I disconnect the cold side of the faucet under the sink, then I do whatever I can figure out to plug the spout/aerator/spray hose, then I turn the faucet on — both hot and cold. This directs water through the faucet from the hot side and out of the cold side under the sink into whatever you placed under there to catch the water and whatever debris is clogging the cold side.

It’s easy and it will probably work for you.

Bruce
Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This is where I always start with the problem you have:

I disconnect the cold side of the faucet under the sink, then I do whatever I can figure out to plug the spout/aerator/spray hose, then I turn the faucet on — both hot and cold. This directs water through the faucet from the hot side and out of the cold side under the sink into whatever you placed under there to catch the water and whatever debris is clogging the cold side.

It’s easy and it will probably work for you.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I was planning on fiddling with it today, so I'll give that a try!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Bruce, I was planning on fiddling with it today, so I'll give that a try!
You’re welcome.

Before you fiddle too much, do what I suggested first — I’m not telling you what to do — I’m telling you what you should do. This is the kind of stuff I do for a living, and it is the best advice I can give you as the most simple (and probable) solution for you. Once you begin (unnecessarily) digging into all of the parts of a faucet you are not familiar with, you can never be certain they will all go back the way they are supposed to.

Good luck!

Bruce
Old 08-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

Quote:
I do whatever I can figure out to plug the spout/aerator/spray hose
Just to clarify this statement, you don’t need to try and find a mechanical way of “plugging” whatever the water comes out of at the spout. All you need to do is block the stream with your palm or thumb or something simple like that.

Bruce
Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
You’re welcome.

Before you fiddle too much, do what I suggested first — I’m not telling you what to do — I’m telling you what you should do. This is the kind of stuff I do for a living, and it is the best advice I can give you as the most simple (and probable) solution for you. Once you begin (unnecessarily) digging into all of the parts of a faucet you are not familiar with, you can never be certain they will all go back the way they are supposed to.

Good luck!

Bruce
Bruce, U DA Man! I made sure to try this first, and whatever was there, just got blown away! Thanks so much for this great tip caused it saved me a lot of headaches, and da wife is happy!

Also, thanks to everyone else who provided tips, I will certainly keep them all handy.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Great outcome!
Thank for reporting back. This information will help others.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Bruce, U DA Man! I made sure to try this first, and whatever was there, just got blown away! Thanks so much for this great tip caused it saved me a lot of headaches, and da wife is happy!

Also, thanks to everyone else who provided tips, I will certainly keep them all handy.
Good job!

Bruce
Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #17

WHO DAT!!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet