Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #1

LED Headlight Lamp Replacement

2017 FR3 and the headlights might as well not even be on at night. Looking at replacing with LED. Has anyone done this and have suggestions? How bright is too bright?

Was looking at this set, does anyone know what to look for specifically?

Searched the forums and couldn't find specific info for FR3.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
kdp3078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp3078 View Post
2017 FR3 and the headlights might as well not even be on at night. Looking at replacing with LED. Has anyone done this and have suggestions? How bright is too bright?

Was looking at this set, does anyone know what to look for specifically?

Searched the forums and couldn't find specific info for FR3.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Leds right now will not work as or with DRL . They are almost to bright and when ever they come down the road at me at night they are blinding so on my brights go, I figure we may as well both be blinded heading down the road .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Leds right now will not work as or with DRL . They are almost to bright and when ever they come down the road at me at night they are blinding so on my brights go, I figure we may as well both be blinded heading down the road .
I agree that most LED bulb replacements are not a plug-n-play solution:
  1. One must buy quality bulbs that have beefy, well-designed heat sinks;
  2. Attention must be paid to the bulb's rotational position and it must be properly oriented in the headlamp case;
  3. After installing the bulbs, the headlamps should be aligned by a garage that has a standard headlight alignment setup.
I replaced the headlight bulbs in our F-150 with LED bulbs and our local garage did the alignment. Turned out I was 180º off on the position of the one of the LEDs and it practically burned a hole in the garage wall. I reinstalled it in the proper position and had the garage finish the alignment. Its been two years and I have yet to be "flashed" by an oncoming driver.

The bulbs you linked to seem like they may be somewhat lacking in quality. I believe I paid between $150 - $200 for mine. I think the brand name was GTR Lighting. Remember, these LED bulbs get very hot so the size/quality of the heat sink is extremely important. Cheaper bulbs will be a marvelous improvement for six months or so before they burn out.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I agree that most LED bulb replacements are not a plug-n-play solution:
  1. One must buy quality bulbs that have beefy, well-designed heat sinks;
  2. Attention must be paid to the bulb's rotational position and it must be properly oriented in the headlamp case;
  3. After installing the bulbs, the headlamps should be aligned by a garage that has a standard headlight alignment setup.
I replaced the headlight bulbs in our F-150 with LED bulbs and our local garage did the alignment. Turned out I was 180º off on the position of the one of the LEDs and it practically burned a hole in the garage wall. I reinstalled it in the proper position and had the garage finish the alignment. Its been two years and I have yet to be "flashed" by an oncoming driver.

The bulbs you linked to seem like they may be somewhat lacking in quality. I believe I paid between $150 - $200 for mine. I think the brand name was GTR Lighting. Remember, these LED bulbs get very hot so the size/quality of the heat sink is extremely important. Cheaper bulbs will be a marvelous improvement for six months or so before they burn out.

Real quality led bulbs will have cooling fans not just a heat sink and run closer to $300 to $400 per bulb and just because you've not been flashed doesn't mean you don't blind people with them , Drivers today don't know how to get on an interstate , how to use their blinkers and doubt they know about flashing on coming traffic that has the brights on or have obnoxious LED's .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
Retired Old Guy

I put these in my 2018 Silverado over a year ago and they have been great!

AUXITO H11 LED Bulb, 16000 Lumens, 500% Brighter, 6500K Cool White H11/H8/H9 LED Lights, Beam Adjustable Lamp Conversion Kit, 80W, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/3NiQHiD
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:58 PM   #6

I just bought these for our 2017 e450 chassis Class C. I don't know that you have to pay that kind of money for led $150 seems excessive to me.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRC2IC

I haven't installed these yet, but have used very similar ones in my 03 Avalanche, 2013 Malibu at the same price point They've been working good for about 4 years now. These have cooling fans and you can hear them come on when you click the unlock button on the key fob and it turns your lights on too.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #7
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
{snip}...just because you've not been flashed doesn't mean you don't blind people with them...{snip}
And that's where you're wrong, in my case. My better half and I tested the headlamp alignment on the road. She was the "oncoming car" (in a MINI) and we passed each other (1) on level roadway, (2) going uphill and (3) going downhill.

I didn't want to be the clown that blinds other folks. And, by the way, drivers in Massachusetts DO NOT hold back their displeasure with other drivers!!!!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #8

LED in Halogen housings

I replaced my halogen bulbs on my F-150 with LEDs last year. I ran them for about a month and replaced them with new halogen bulbs.
They were very bright and illuminated nicely at night. I was pleased, except for the one time I drove in fog, and it was like driving into a wall of blinding white light.
Being as I don’t drive much at night, that wasn’t too much of an issue. The reason I went back to halogen, is because in Virginia we have to have an annual safety inspection, and it is illegal to have LED bulbs in a halogen housing, because it doesn’t conform to FMVSS requirements.
Rather than risk having my vehicle rejected, changing bulbs, and returning for another inspection, I just went ahead and switched them back.
Apparently the police don’t ticket people for it, because I see plenty of older vehicles with blinding LEDs, but I don’t need the inspection hassle.
Not to mention blinding others as they blind me, as referenced in earlier posts.
The proper way to do it is to replace the halogen housings with LED, and that’s a bit pricey.
The proper LED housings focus the light properly.
One thing I noticed in the reviews of the previously linked LED, is how many stated that these things are so bright, everybody thinks I have my high beams on!
The new halogen bulbs were a good improvement over the 8 year old bulbs.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #9

Forget replacing just the bulbs, do a search on this forum and you will find the correct part numbers to replace the entire light. They are a GM truck light, very easy to plug and play and then just adjust them! I was never happier after replacing ours with all new lights!
jimbo020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I just bought these for our 2017 e450 chassis Class C. I don't know that you have to pay that kind of money for led $150 seems excessive to me.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRC2IC

I haven't installed these yet, but have used very similar ones in my 03 Avalanche, 2013 Malibu at the same price point They've been working good for about 4 years now. These have cooling fans and you can hear them come on when you click the unlock button on the key fob and it turns your lights on too.
I was able to finally install these in our motorhome. They worked well. Definitely brighter than originals. The only thing is the bright side is barely brighter then when on dims. But that's ok if I need brighter lights I can turn the 27" light bar I installed inside the front bumper.

I still want to install a light bar on the back of our motorhome for backing up at night. Our backup camera isn't bright enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_152257.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	280258  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #11

Look at the company called zenon depot they have DRL compatible light
Bezzola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, replacement