Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Living room slide problem

At the end of our camping trip, as I tried to slide in my living room it would not work. I could hear one click at the motor, but, the room would not retract. As manual stated, I first tried to replace the fuse. The fuse I purchased at an auto parts store seemed to be the correct fuse, but, slide still did not retract. I was able to use my drill and manually retract the room. Once in, I tried the switch again and the slide worked for a minute or two, then quit again. I still hear one single click at the motor when I try the switch.

Has any FR3 owners had this problem or do any of your more experienced campers have any recommendations?
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #2

Here some reading on different slide issues for FR3...

https://www.google.com/search?q=fr3+...iverforums.com
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by depmgt View Post
At the end of our camping trip, as I tried to slide in my living room it would not work. I could hear one click at the motor, but, the room would not retract. As manual stated, I first tried to replace the fuse. The fuse I purchased at an auto parts store seemed to be the correct fuse, but, slide still did not retract. I was able to use my drill and manually retract the room. Once in, I tried the switch again and the slide worked for a minute or two, then quit again. I still hear one single click at the motor when I try the switch.

Has any FR3 owners had this problem or do any of your more experienced campers have any recommendations?
This was my story from last fall:
Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor

It was a loose wire.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

We had a problem that was almost impossible to find the cause if not for resourceful Mobile RV Tech. Not sure if this is your problem but I'd pass it on just in case.

When we arrived at our location to move the slides out, they would not retract out. Just like that out of the blue. Something caused the computer on the slide out control to basically forget how to open & retract. the tech had to in simple terms teach the slide how to open & close.
Go to your slide control panels, unscrew the panel and on the back of the panel you will see the circuit board & some switches. Forrest River has a sequence of steps to take to "re-teach" your slides how to work by pushing the buttons. It is very detailed but works. I asked him how this could happen where it simply forgets. He mentioned never use the generator to open the slides (we did not) but spikes in voltage could cause this plus other causes who knows.
Anyway, if your slide does not work this could be the culprit.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Update on slide motor

Thanks to all for your helpful comments. I went ahead and purchased a replacement motor. When I returned from my camping trip, my living room slide worked fine, so, after reading more posts on here, I started looking more into the wiring connections on the motor. I think that the problem was exactly as some of you suggested, the wiring connections, unless it is an intermittent issue.

Has anyone had an intermittent problem with their slide motor working sometimes and not working sometimes?
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #6

We are having the same problem with our 327ck fifth wheeler. Have you gotten any answers
Wildcat327ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
We had a problem that was almost impossible to find the cause if not for resourceful Mobile RV Tech. Not sure if this is your problem but I'd pass it on just in case.

When we arrived at our location to move the slides out, they would not retract out. Just like that out of the blue. Something caused the computer on the slide out control to basically forget how to open & retract. the tech had to in simple terms teach the slide how to open & close.
Go to your slide control panels, unscrew the panel and on the back of the panel you will see the circuit board & some switches. Forrest River has a sequence of steps to take to "re-teach" your slides how to work by pushing the buttons. It is very detailed but works. I asked him how this could happen where it simply forgets. He mentioned never use the generator to open the slides (we did not) but spikes in voltage could cause this plus other causes who knows.
Anyway, if your slide does not work this could be the culprit.
"Computer" to run your slides? I believe the FR3s only use a simple in/out switch and a relay to send positive or negative voltage to the well hidden motor vs. some complicated computer system.

When we were low on battery voltage, we would get a clicking noise and the LR slide would not operate. With the generator on, it worked fine.

hmmmm
Old 05-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
"Computer" to run your slides? I believe the FR3s only use a simple in/out switch and a relay to send positive or negative voltage to the well hidden motor vs. some complicated computer system.

When we were low on battery voltage, we would get a clicking noise and the LR slide would not operate. With the generator on, it worked fine.

hmmmm
There is also a relay to disable the slide when the ignition is on.

The engine needs to be running with the parking brake applied to use the leveling jacks. But the engine needs to be off to extend or retract the slides.

I panicked one time when my slide would not move when the engine was idling. I think it is a safety interlock.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, slide