Old 09-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I won't take your bait on the Ford thing (mine have all been super reliable), but you do remind me that the V-10s were a little bit notorious for spitting out spark plugs. That could result in both noise and some gas/oil mixture blowing around.

I think they fixed it by changing the head castings but I don't recall what year they changed over.
You are correct i have fixed many of those and 5.4s but they did put better heads on the newer versions. Also im not sure of the year change.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #22

Type of sound it makes gives a clue. High pitched like a tick tick sound is usually valve train, while a deeper knock sound is a rod bearing. Valve and rod knock are also different speeds. At idle the rod it knock knock knock, while a valve will be ticktickticktick. Valve ticks can also fade when slowing from high RPM. Anything that sounds like metal to metal while in park is usually internal and expensive. I have had a case of a bent flywheel that was taping against the back of the crankcase, but those are very rare and usually on engines that have an open area behind the pan where something can be kicked up into it.

Location of the sound is also critical in diagnosing. Front, back, on a side, etc. I have had water pumps fail so the pulley was tapping the timing case, and it to would increase/decrease with throttle. Since you mentioned fluid spray, I would look there first.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #23

Well the OP has lots to think about hopefully he'll come back with either some more info once he checks out some of the plethora of suggestions and fine tune the sound as well as the fluid color. Yet maybe he decided to take it to a mechanic. I hope he let's us know what he finds or or at least what is done to fix it.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #24

I did not read all the responses but is the knock increasing proportionate with increased engine speed or is it random? I have had luck taking a small hose or tube putting one end to the ear and use the other end to locate the sound by moving around the engine. Just be careful of moving parts like fans and belts. Also as mentioned first is to identify the fluid. If it is oil that could be real bad. If it is antifreeze and the engine has overheated that could be real bad too. What did the renter say when the unit was returned? Were the fluids checked before the renter took the unit? How many miles did the renter drive?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #25

Save yourself the pain and take it to a mechanic/shop.
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #26

If my nephew rented a vehicle, it would be a miracle to get it back in one piece. He drives everything very hard and goes as fast as possible. I could see him keeping an RV floored the entire time. If the fluids were at all low, this kind of treatment could lead to any number of problems, a spun bearing resulting in rod knock being one of them. A mechanic needs to see this vehicle and I hope you insured the RV appropriately to get the engine repaired.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #27

Get professional help

From the lack of info given im assuming (i know not the best thing to do) that you have very little mechanical experience. which means you should seek professional help. the description you did give about the knocking tells me you have something in the rotating mass that in knocking. If the water you are seeing is engine coolant if may have been driven hot which can cause head, piston and bearing issues.
blasingame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior