Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

Looking at buying 2015 FR3

Hi all,
Looking at buying a used 2015 FR3 with 38000 miles. I haven’t physically seen it yet . I just want to get the good, bad and ugly about the rig. It is a 30DS. In the photos it looks to be in good shape. It is about the size the wife and I would be comfortable with. Questions would be about comfort. How comfortable are the bed and sleep sofa? The dinette? Are there any problems that all owners experience? Is the roof rubber or fiberglass? Is the engine strong enough for the rig and hauling a toad? They want $65k for it including a toad and dolly. Reading reviews the comments were all over the place. A lot about swaying and wandering. Has anyone done aftermarket fixes? That’s it for now.

Thanks,

Rich
Poorman148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

I own a 2017 32DS, the changes I made include a Roadmaster steering stabilizer, and the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) google it and there are plenty of youtube videos on it. The V10 6.8 liter engine is a work horse. I have no problems pulling our Nissan Juke.

INSPECT the rubber roof. I have a huge issue with mine and currently working with Forest River to get new rubber. Inspect all the edges to make sure it is not pulling out. Mine pulled out from the front transition strip from the front cab and the roof. Good Luck

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

We rented a 2015 FR3 for two weeks last year, as we were considering buying one. The owner said it was all stock on the suspension. I absolutely hated the way it drove. It felt like a boat on water. Constant swaying, it really got pushed around by Truckers and the winds in the west coast. Majority of that trip was both hands locked on the steering wheel trying to keep it in its lane. The V10 really struggled in the mountains, we were pulling a small kia soul. 30-35 mph was pretty common. We ended up going a different route for our purchase after renting it.

My advice is to rent one and drive it around. Also what part of the country you are in would also sway my decision. If I were on the east coast and didn't really go though or over mountains the power would be plenty.

My 2 cents
Jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Here is a picture of my roof where it tore.

Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Old 12-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure the newer model FR3's have a fiberglass roof. We bought our G'town after looking at the 2015 FR3 because of the roof.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

I own a 2015 30DS. Purchased new in 2015
I've had a couple issues... The Furrion TV went out the 2nd time we used the coach. It was replaced under warrantee and has continued to work fine.

The Air Conditioner failed twice.... it's on it's 3rd AC and it needs to be replaced yet again... the first two were covered under warrantee... the next one will be out of pocket.

The city water fill.. fills the fresh water holding tank. I think the check valve in the pump has malfunctioned... I need to replace the pump because once the fresh tank gets full it will auto-siphon all over the ground with no way to stop it.

The Furrion CD player quit after a trip on Interstate 90 between Spokane Wa to Butte Montana. Very rough road. It's still broken

The overhead bunk had the mount pulled out of the ceiling on one side on the same rough road on the same trip. I Fixed it myself with a better Lag bolt.

That said.. I'd buy it again. The V10 motor is fine.... I'm not a fan of the Transmission but I've learned how to drive it and get along with it. It doesn't like to auto-shift out of lower gears after you have crested a hill and start down the other side... but the way to deal with it is to just keep a steady foot on the gas pedal.
I flat pull a 2D Jeep Wrangler with no problems at all... I don't notice it back there.

The bed is not great but we have a foam topper on it and we like it better now than our house mattress.

The slide-outs are fine... the coach is comfortable and roomy for the size of the 30DS
We added a foam "egg shell" topper to the hide-a-bed / sofa... it's fine for a nigh or two

The leveling jacks haven't had any issues...

The roof is just fine.... we live in the PNW... and I just clean it every year and check the seams... have had no issues

There is a "Rattle" in the dash area someplace.... I can't find it because I'm driving if the coach is moving and I got tired of starting an argument with my wife on why she can't find it.... I've ruled out the night screen rattling, the sliding passenger table thing, the front grill, the dash pad, and some other things... it only bothers me if when we are on a bumpy road.

The coach does "Sway" in high winds or when being passed by Semi's... I haven't added anything to the steering or the rear stabilizers... it's all stock but I am planning on having Sumo Springs and a stabilizer / track bars added very soon. I just have learned how to drive it... slow down when I need to and go fast when I want to... it's not as bad as others might think...

We've had the 30DS for 5 years and we love it.... is it perfect? No! but it's not bad either. My parents have a Marathon and it's had about every problem you can thing of... they paid almost a million for it and I wouldn't take it around the block.

That said I only paid $68K for mine new... I'd see if you can get them down a little. unless that car they are throwing in is really nice...

Good Luck
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #7

I have a 2016 FR3 28ds - it has the 2015 transmission. I drive from central Florida to north of Seattle every other year. Every year I do six to seven thousand miles and gone for two to three months. Have I had problems - yes. Before I took it off the lot brand new I had a steering stabilizer installed. Two years later I had the sumo suspension installed. It does make the coach ride stiffer. But going through the flat lands - it is a game changer. I tow a Grand Prix - I don't know she is back there - even going through the Rockies. I've been looking at the computer chip for the V-10. I hope it will help with the transmission shifting so hard going up a over pass.
The short version of this is I really like my FR3. As an escape I drive for one of the major dealers. What I've found out is that he chasse weight makes a big deal about handling. Other then that every one has different preferences. There is good and bad with all of them. Just do your own due diligence !
DavidShifflett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I own a 2015 30DS. Purchased new in 2015
I've had a couple issues... The Furrion TV went out the 2nd time we used the coach. It was replaced under warrantee and has continued to work fine.

The Air Conditioner failed twice.... it's on it's 3rd AC and it needs to be replaced yet again... the first two were covered under warrantee... the next one will be out of pocket.

The city water fill.. fills the fresh water holding tank. I think the check valve in the pump has malfunctioned... I need to replace the pump because once the fresh tank gets full it will auto-siphon all over the ground with no way to stop it.

The Furrion CD player quit after a trip on Interstate 90 between Spokane Wa to Butte Montana. Very rough road. It's still broken

The overhead bunk had the mount pulled out of the ceiling on one side on the same rough road on the same trip. I Fixed it myself with a better Lag bolt.

That said.. I'd buy it again. The V10 motor is fine.... I'm not a fan of the Transmission but I've learned how to drive it and get along with it. It doesn't like to auto-shift out of lower gears after you have crested a hill and start down the other side... but the way to deal with it is to just keep a steady foot on the gas pedal.
I flat pull a 2D Jeep Wrangler with no problems at all... I don't notice it back there.

The bed is not great but we have a foam topper on it and we like it better now than our house mattress.

The slide-outs are fine... the coach is comfortable and roomy for the size of the 30DS
We added a foam "egg shell" topper to the hide-a-bed / sofa... it's fine for a nigh or two

The leveling jacks haven't had any issues...

The roof is just fine.... we live in the PNW... and I just clean it every year and check the seams... have had no issues

There is a "Rattle" in the dash area someplace.... I can't find it because I'm driving if the coach is moving and I got tired of starting an argument with my wife on why she can't find it.... I've ruled out the night screen rattling, the sliding passenger table thing, the front grill, the dash pad, and some other things... it only bothers me if when we are on a bumpy road.

The coach does "Sway" in high winds or when being passed by Semi's... I haven't added anything to the steering or the rear stabilizers... it's all stock but I am planning on having Sumo Springs and a stabilizer / track bars added very soon. I just have learned how to drive it... slow down when I need to and go fast when I want to... it's not as bad as others might think...

We've had the 30DS for 5 years and we love it.... is it perfect? No! but it's not bad either. My parents have a Marathon and it's had about every problem you can thing of... they paid almost a million for it and I wouldn't take it around the block.

That said I only paid $68K for mine new... I'd see if you can get them down a little. unless that car they are throwing in is really nice...

Good Luck

Wow, all that and you would buy it again. You must really love it.

I think everything I’ve read says that the rig I’m looking at is overpriced.

If she won’t come down, I will move on.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Poorman148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #9

2016 FR3 28ds

I have had my FR3 for 6 months and really like it. Previous owner keep it very clean. I have replaced the HW heater by choice. No problems so far. Plenty of floor space but little storage in kitchen. But I make do. Buy it and enjoy.
SCcamping16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #10

I bought my 2015 FR3 last fall for $60,000 with 3,600 miles and fully equipped with everything. Have put over 10,000 on it and love it. It’s a great entry level RV. I’ve had a few minor issues but nothing more than what you’d expect with a rolling house!! It came with the steering stabilizer already on. You do get some sway when large vehicles pass but not any big deal to me. Mine came with a dolly also. What a pain in the *****. After the first couple trips laying on wet ground to strap it down I was done. Got the Blue Ox tow bar and love it!! Tow a Equinox and don’t even know it’s there. The V10 is a great engine. Like anything you learn how to use the tranny to your advantage. The only negative I can really say is it’s pretty noisy up front with the engine between when you’re traveling at higher speeds on the highway. Feel free to reach out if you have questions. In the Cincinnati area if you’re anywhere close!!
Fireman Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
There is a "Rattle" in the dash area someplace....
Irritated me for four years, then I figured out it is front grille rattling. I put drawer bumpers, those little clear stick ons, so the grille has something to rest on and it went away.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
edm

We have a 2016 FR3 30ds, we purchased it in June of 2015. The coach now has 44000 miles on it and it is working just great. We have done a lot of upgrades to the suspension system to make it handle better. The rubber roof was a problem when to was still under warranty and ForestRiver replaced it for free. The thing that caused it to go bad was the Am FM radio antenna on the roof broke loose and let air get in under the rubber. We have driven the rig from Oregon to Boston 4 times now with no problems at all. There will be minor thing go wrong but that is expected. We tow a Kia Soul on a dolly behind it and is works just great. We average between 7.5 and 8 miles to the gallon on the gas.

Hope this helps good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Jvz

We have 2019 30DS. We added a steering stabilizer, summo springs, anti sway bars and a rear track bar. Drives like a charm with one hand. Wife is even comfortable driving it. The improvements were huge. Well worth the $3k. Just got back to Florida from out west towing an Equinox and did not have one problem. We love it.
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
Here is a picture of my roof where it tore.

My 2016 did the same thing.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunny View Post
My 2016 did the same thing.
Do you still have that RV and have you had issues with the roof since you got it fixed? I am assuming that you have had the roof fixed. Mine is getting new rubber as I write this.

Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Old 12-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
Do you still have that RV and have you had issues with the roof since you got it fixed? I am assuming that you have had the roof fixed. Mine is getting new rubber as I write this.

Yes, I still have it and use it every chance we get. KNOCK ON WOOD, we haven't had any issues since the repair... FR paid for the repair as well. It happened to us nearly 2 years ago.

Tags
fr3