Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

Smile Looking to Install Satellite in my FR3

Has anybody out there in FR3 owners land installed a permanent Satellite unit
in there coach? And if so how did you tie the 3 TV's into the system. I'm trying to do my home work before jumping in to a System...
davecole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #2

Don't have one yet, but making a guess, two places to tie into the general net between all TVs is (in my 2013 30DS) above the steps in the antenna jack : or the rear jack in the power cord bay.

Ron C
2013 FR3 30DS
From Iowa on US tour!
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Junior Retiree

Yes, have a 2014 FR3 30DS. Wynguard system installed, we can only watch 2 separate channels simultaneously. One receiver installed in the shelf above the upright closet by the door feeds both the main and outside TV's, therefore the same TV program is displayed on both TV's. The other receiver is installed below the wall mounted bedroom TV. The front receiver has a RF connection to the remote, so you can control the receiver from anywhere inside or outside the Motorhome. The bedroom receiver is connected to the satellite dish by hijacking the line that supplies the air antenna signal. This negates the need to run a separate line, likely on the roof, back to the bedroom area. The downside is no air antenna TV in the bedroom.
Hope this helps, we're happy with it.
2014 FR3 30DS
2014 CRV Toad
Canuck2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Junior Retiree

Wow, the older I get the worse my spelling (and grammar) - system is Winegard.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information that covers a lot of my concerns. I do have a couple of questions for you on your installation: Did you install the unit yourself ? And where is the roof penetration for the coax cables located ?
And Thanks Again for the assistance...
davecole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #6
Junior Retiree

Nope, chicken'd out, had the RV dealership where I bought the unit do the install. They mounted the satellite just ahead of the air conditioner as I wanted room on the roof to add solar panels in the future. Can't say for sure as the RV is out at our vacation lot, but I believe they punched a hole right above the front closet.
Cheers
Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #7

My satellite system in my 2011 Georgetown isn't permanent but I found a relatively inexpensive way to run multiple HDMI TVs from a single satellite box if you're only going to watch the same show on all of the TVs. (I haven't figured out yet how to watch two different shows on two TVs located 15' apart without audio interference.)

I puchased ActionTec wireless HDMI receivers for each TV and a transmitter for the satellite box. The sysem lets you connect multiple receivers to a single transmitter which works perfectly. If you have multiple devices creating HDMI signals, the receivers can be set up to select which transmitter to connect to; I believe up to three transmitters. This would let you use a satellite receiver and a blue-ray player. With two sources, you could watch different things on different TVs.

AFIK most RVs made today are not yet wired for HDMI. If the RF cabling in the RV is good enough, you could rewire the system to use the RF cables to distribute the satellite signal to receiver boxes located at each TV but that would impact the ability to use a park's cable system or a broadcast antenna. It would be nice if manufacturers ran two sets of RG6 RF cables through the RV, along with HDMI and ethernet cables. I think a custom build request could get that done but you'd need to know before buying what you intended to do some years down the road.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Just wired my trailer to be able to use 1 portable ant. (King Flex) , watch 2 diff. tv's with 2 diff. channels, and keep ant. off of ground so fur buddies have 1 less thing to get stuck on...also, can hook ant. to any side or top with minimal cable..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #9

Bob: I’m trying to hook my dish network tailgater satellite dish to my 2020 FR3. The coach is not wired for satellite. Did you hook up your system using the existing cable wiring in your unit. Did you have to do anything to your amplifier power unit to make it work? Any input you have would be appreciated.
novak6931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #10

Help

Novak3961, did you figure out how to hook your satellite dish to your FR3, we just bought a 2021 FR3 and are trying to learn how to use Dish Tailgater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novak6931 View Post
Bob: I’m trying to hook my dish network tailgater satellite dish to my 2020 FR3. The coach is not wired for satellite. Did you hook up your system using the existing cable wiring in your unit. Did you have to do anything to your amplifier power unit to make it work? Any input you have would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker733 View Post
Novak3961, did you figure out how to hook your satellite dish to your FR3, we just bought a 2021 FR3 and are trying to learn how to use Dish Tailgater.
Posts 97,100, 110 on this thread show some pictures of some of the things I did. Installed Dish Tailgeter on my pre-wired 2021 30DS.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-231290.html
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, fr3