Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #1

Loud Bang near door when driving

I have a 2021 FR3, from time to time there is a loud bang near the door when I start driving. It sounds like something is hitting the door. It is very loud! I have asked Ford and my Forest River Dealer with no answer. Sometimes it happens when driving slowly other times I will be going 40 mph. But it is not every time I take off and its only 1 bang!
JTrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Noise sources are hard to pinpoint when you are driving. Does your passenger also think it’s coming from the door area?

Does it usually happen soon after you leave a particular location like your home or storage yard? Sometimes, a rock can pop out of a tire tread and hit the undercarriage.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

Perhaps it could be a leveler not fully retracted - until it hits something and goes up.

I once caught notice of a unit running up the highway because there were sparks at every bump. The driver was a little miffed when I pulled him over until I showed him the front levelers were only a few inches above the ground. He had been hearing and feeling thumps but didn't bother to check.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrana View Post
I have a 2021 FR3, from time to time there is a loud bang near the door when I start driving. It sounds like something is hitting the door. It is very loud! I have asked Ford and my Forest River Dealer with no answer. Sometimes it happens when driving slowly other times I will be going 40 mph. But it is not every time I take off and its only 1 bang!
I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I’m attaching this link to a problem reported in the Georgetown forum which I had with our 2010 Georgetown. The FR3 platform is very similar to the smaller Georgetown line. Like I said, I hope I’m wrong, but take the time to read through this thread as long as it may be.
My initial exposure to the problem was a loud bang, just like you describe.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...e-77309-9.html

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwino View Post
Noise sources are hard to pinpoint when you are driving. Does your passenger also think it’s coming from the door area?

Does it usually happen soon after you leave a particular location like your home or storage yard? Sometimes, a rock can pop out of a tire tread and hit the undercarriage.
It sounds like someone is kicking the door. It is much louder then a rock. It happens in random locations. The only thing I can think of is maybe a Jack has come down and is retracting.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I’m attaching this link to a problem reported in the Georgetown forum which I had with our 2010 Georgetown. The FR3 platform is very similar to the smaller Georgetown line. Like I said, I hope I’m wrong, but take the time to read through this thread as long as it may be.
My initial exposure to the problem was a loud bang, just like you describe.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...e-77309-9.html
Did your noise sound like someone was kicking the door? The sound always comes from the same place. I hope it is not the wall problem that you had.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Our noise came from near the front.....ultimately along the floor beside the co-pilot seat. The sound was loud, sharp and sounded like a hammer hitting the metal chassis. I can’t describe it any differently. Eventually my co-pilot could see daylight down at the floor beside her foot along the wall. The separation was the bolts snapping between the front cap and the entry door.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
It sounds like someone is kicking the door. It is much louder then a rock. It happens in random locations. The only thing I can think of is maybe a Jack has come down and is retracting.
My wife reminded me we’ve heard that sound once while driving. We’ve only had the RV on several drives, so there’s no pattern, yet.

I seriously hope it’s not the screw shearing problem described above. Please keep us all updated on what you discover.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:

Check your tires for embedded rocks in the tread before leaving. When I have one come loose it sounds like a gunshot. Haven't heard it since I started prying the rocks out, unless we are driving on gravel.

If a Lippert jack goes into auto-retract because the pressure dropped you will hear a loud alarm from the panel.

Ray
Old 01-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #10

We recently had the same noise issue with our 2020 FR3 30DS. Took us many miles to find the noise. Turned out to be the TV about the sink wasn’t latched tight and was vibrating and banging. Hope yours turns out to be that simple.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #11

We recently had the same noise issue with our 2020 FR3 30DS. Took us many miles to find the noise. Turned out to be the TV above the sink wasn’t latched tight and was vibrating and banging. Hope yours turns out to be that simple.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #12

I get a similar bang in my company van. Sometimes with the air conditioner/defroster on and the compressor kicks on there is a pretty noticeable BANG! Like you said, you think someone is kicking the door or you feel like you hit something.
davidsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #13

JTrana, we had noticed banging near entry door too. I finally sat by door, while going down road, what we were hearing turned out to be then counter top extension banging against cabinet.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
I had a similar or the same problem possibly, almost impossible to pinpoint even with wife listening in passenger seat. Turns out my noise was from the sway bar links. No rhyme or reason to the frequency it just seemed to happen randomly. I ended up tightening up both bushing bolts on the one side and the noise went away.

There is a bolt that goes through the sway bar link bushing, inside the bushing is a metal tube that the bolt goes through, I think the tube was binding up on the shackle that the link attaches to causing the noise. I may have over torqued the bolt which may cause premature wear, i don't know but the noise is gone. I have been monitoring the link bushings for some time now and no problem so far.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJnDD View Post
JTrana, we had noticed banging near entry door too. I finally sat by door, while going down road, what we were hearing turned out to be then counter top extension banging against cabinet.

Thanks, I will check that out.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #16

So not being familiar with you particular MH, though I use to have a GT 31L5, I think checking the undercarriage is a start like the sway bar, shock mounts, even your lug nuts, motor mounts, etc. . But also make sure your batteries are secure in the side compartment. Look at your slides make sure they are retracted fully and watch for any movement. You said you "asked" your FR and Ford dealer to no avail but have you made an appt. Or brought it down there so they might here it? Its under warranty so push them. Perhaps use your phone to record and see if you can catch the noise.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Look at your slides make sure they are retracted fully and watch for any movement.
Good point. Multiple people have reported that they hear the SlimRack rack slapping against the side of the slide as they drive because the slide is shifting a bit. Some have even put a pool noodle around the rack while driving.

Ray
Old 01-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:

Please be sure the wife is always in the MH before taking off and I am sure the banging will stop.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Please be sure the wife is always in the MH before taking off and I am sure the banging will stop.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Ha Ha!! Good point!!
Old 01-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
I had a similar or the same problem possibly, almost impossible to pinpoint even with wife listening in passenger seat. Turns out my noise was from the sway bar links. No rhyme or reason to the frequency it just seemed to happen randomly. I ended up tightening up both bushing bolts on the one side and the noise went away.

There is a bolt that goes through the sway bar link bushing, inside the bushing is a metal tube that the bolt goes through, I think the tube was binding up on the shackle that the link attaches to causing the noise. I may have over torqued the bolt which may cause premature wear, i don't know but the noise is gone. I have been monitoring the link bushings for some time now and no problem so far.
I also had the same problem for awhile. Tightened the bolts - noise gone.

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driving noise, loud bang, loud noise