Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

More 2015 changes?

Stopped at CW yesterday to exchange our bunk ladder and took it in a 2015 sitting on the lot to be sure the ladder was the right height. Noticed the seating material is dark brown (not two-toned), which looks pretty nice; added brackets to the front of the bunk for the ladder to be hooked onto; and changed the shower curtain to a sliding shower door. Are these running changes or do you think a special order? Just curious.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Picked my fr3 30DS on 11/30 with a build date of 10/2 has all the items the listed plus: passenger cup holder, touch screen in dash radio, which replaces the entertainment center and a few other minor items. It was not a special order in fact the FR rep of the Hersey show in Sept informed me that all the FR3’s are being sent out with all three TV’s and leveling jacks so basically there are no options. Thou I did look at one with a build date of 10/27 and it had the two tone interior!
PhilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Wow, that is great to hear. FR is doing a great job. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #4

after a lot of research I am thinking of purchasing the FR3 this week. Does anyone have any pro's or con's you can provide to help me pull the trigger?
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Not knowing what you are comparing it to is hard.

Compared to the ACE if found it superior with a better sink and interior design and larger windshield. The good news is FR has gotten all the Freshman year bugs worked out now so if you buy a 2015 it will likely have more robust bedroom slide gears, properly installed windshield, a non recalled dometic toilet, and the better designed Kwikee steps not the Lippets that were notorious for breaking shoulder bolts (mine did). FR has even focused on upgrading the showers door and adding cup holders..

It's got a great layout. When the seats are swiveled around you can truly host 8 persons inside for cocktails on a rainy day. The F53 chassis is used in many same size coaches and has a good reputation short of sometimes sloppy steering and sway. It's reasonably good on fuel if your not a lead foot. And the FR3 is reasonably priced. I added a BR tv to ours but I read here that it's now included. Where else will u find three TV's in this price range? That outdoor tv alone is a Great addition in a coach in this class. I find the coach entertainment system is superior as it allows you to send the sound outside.

The shortfalls I find are few. And a handy person can upgrade those them self.

For instance, no inverter or prewired dome sat. No surge protector (an easy aftermarket upgrade). No storage bin lights mine has one only in the battery box, I added them for short money but time consuming. Poor headlamps (I will be adding aftermarket led driving lights to the grille). Poorly placed low clearance exhaust pipe. The generator exhaust is also low and dangerous to operate with the slide open without an after market chimney the fumes can easily enter the cabin. I'm shocked they haven't addressed that yet. Like many crossover A s that are C like, the sewer pipe exits low under the skirt not inside the panel. This causes fear of clearance and unless the coach is jacked up on levelers is often in line with high collar campground sewer pipes. My entry door has screws that have loosened and I replaced with rivets. Lastly the stock roof vents are cheap. I will be upgrading all of them to power vents in he spring.

All that said, in the price range I would definitely recommend it and would buy it again. I have a 2014 with low miles and I suspect I will have slide issues because mine was built when they used the cheaper gear box. Knowing that I still purchased it. And we love it. Good luck in your search.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Technorick, thank you for your info. Sorry that I did not provide more details. We had previously wanted to buy the ACE 30.1, but, right before we bought someone recommended we look at the FR3. Until this week we had only been able to research online due to no local RV dealer having one in stock. This week we finally got to see the FR3 in person and we love it. My wife and I are just stuck on the fence trying to make the jump from our current travel trailer to a motor home. Your info was helpful, thanks again.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

The convenience of a motor home is unparalleled.

I would have to agree with what “Technorick” wrote in his post and for the money the FR3 will almost be impossible to beat!

depmgt wrote
“My wife and I are just stuck on the fence trying to make the jump from our current travel trailer to a motor home. Your info was helpful, thanks again.”

depmgt:
We started out with a pop-up then moved on to a 28-foot Dutchman TT but sold it when the kids were in high school. We rented a 28-foot class C for a several week trip from the east coast to the Grand Canyon a few years later, and brother that was it no more TT's for us. The convenience of a motor home is unparalleled.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #8

We compared the ACE to the FR3 before purchasing our 2015 30DS. Aside from a few small issues as mentioned by others, we found the basic fit-n-finish to be far superior in the FR3. Good luck in your decision
Mowinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

We started with a 18 ft hybrid TT with fold down pop ups. Traded that for a 26ft TT and eventually traded and upgraded that to the MH.

As for Other differences between the ACE and the FR3 we found the couch in the ACE smaller or shorter, and I don't think it included recliners. Faux hardwood flooring in FR3 vs faux tile. We preferred the wood look. I think both are made of the same material.

I liked the flip up tv location in the FR3 over the location in the ACE that was above the entry door facing forward.

As I recall the model ACE we looked at did NOT have pass thru storage and the FR3 30DS does allowing you to store up to seven foot long things like a collapsible ladder or pop up tent. The only feature I liked in the ACE that we didn't find in the FR3 was the blind spot /doggie window on the passenger side. However after driving our FR3 with side cameras I find it's not needed. Besides, our dog sits beside the two seats anyway (behind the motor doghouse).
Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Just an update - today we purchased the 2015 FR3 30DS. We pick it up Monday. Thanks to all for your input and advice.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #11

Alright, good luck,
&
Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
2015 FR3

Technorick have you addressed the generator chimney issue? Would love to see a photo of that. Should I extend the exhaust pipe to the front of the coach?
JEGNCJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

No not yet. It's going to have to be a home made right angle extension to the rear and another right angle facing upward to clear the slide out.

I would not exhaust to the front.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Don't forget that the AC is underpowered for the coach and can trip the AC breaker on a day over 90 degrees because the AC breaker was installed right next to the main breaker and they overheat.

2015 FR3 30

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #15

We picked up our 2015 30DS this week and I wanted to provide some updates on items that others had commented on. The main TV is no longer the flip up style shown in the brochures. It now swivels so it can be viewed from everywhere. Several of the exterior storage spaces now have lights installed in them and some of them also have electrical outlets.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGNCJG View Post
Technorick have you addressed the generator chimney issue? Would love to see a photo of that. Should I extend the exhaust pipe to the front of the coach?

Yes I tested it today. Stock elbow pipe and fittings from the auto parts store and a five foot extension connect to the Venturi chimney. The Venturi comes with hooks you are supposed to glue or screw to the coach exterior to hold the pipe upright and take off the downward pressure.

I didn't want to screw or stick stuff to the outside so I used a suction handle grip instead. The pieces all fit snug and come apart easily to stow In the bag with the Venturi. This solves the problem of running the generator with the slide open. The fumes are routed to the right and then up over the top of the roof.

An alternative route might have been to come straight out from the generator pipe and up the outside of the extended slide out. Bit I didn't want to run the pipe up past the slide windows. I will need to fabricate an adjustable hight stand to hold the lower pipe. Shown in the pictures below is an old folding bag chair that workers quite well.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421038752.566683.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421038770.911426.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421038779.507942.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421038792.644503.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421038807.737346.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  94.2 KB
Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #17

Has anyone thought to have the generator exhaust rerouted? Thinking of routing back next to the engine Exhaust so a normal chimney can be used..
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Don't forget that the AC is underpowered for the coach and can trip the AC breaker on a day over 90 degrees because the AC breaker was installed right next to the main breaker and they overheat.

2015 FR3 30
Was told today that all new FR3's come with a 18K btu A/C unit and it only draws 12 amps.
2011 Passport JUNK
2006 Itasca 29R SOLD
2005 Itasca Cambria SOLD
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #19

Where did you hear about the AC? I wonder if they'll replace mine under warranty? I still have until May before my one year is up.

2015 FR3 30

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltnHops View Post
Where did you hear about the AC? I wonder if they'll replace mine under warranty? I still have until May before my one year is up.

2015 FR3 30
FR rep I spoke to said it's a mid year change along with glass shower doors and black tank wash.
2011 Passport JUNK
2006 Itasca 29R SOLD
2005 Itasca Cambria SOLD
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote