Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

More problems

28 fr3
MRsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #2

Has anybody else lost all the water out of the fresh water tank

Forest river has a fix however they don't tell the consumer until it ruins yet another weekend
Old 11-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
RJJ

Many of us have had that problem. I left an ice skating rink on the street in front of my parents house in Omaha last winter. 😝

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #4

Have you also had 3 windshield leaks
It's raining super hard
Pretty sweet
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Sounds like your working through issues on a new unit. Both of those issues are common. Use the search bar on the FR3 forum and you'll find a bunch of duplicate topics. The water overflow is because the tank becomes pressurized after you fill it up and ends up siphoning itself once it overflows. Some have had success with adding additional length of hose to form a coil or two before going out the bottom. Others have added a radiator flush T inline with a small hole drilled in the cap to vent the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47153-...radiator+flush

On the windshield, I thought the newer units went with a windshield gasket and solved most of the issues. Guess not. Most have given up with a dealer for a fix and will recommend you take it straight to an actual windshield repairman.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
Sounds like your working through issues on a new unit. Both of those issues are common. Use the search bar on the FR3 forum and you'll find a bunch of duplicate topics. The water overflow is because the tank becomes pressurized after you fill it up and ends up siphoning itself once it overflows. Some have had success with adding additional length of hose to form a coil or two before going out the bottom. Others have added a radiator flush T inline with a small hole drilled in the cap to vent the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47153-...radiator+flush

On the windshield, I thought the newer units went with a windshield gasket and solved most of the issues. Guess not. Most have given up with a dealer for a fix and will recommend you take it straight to an actual windshield repairman.

Good point on both issues. I've had them both and both were fixed, neither by the dealer.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRsimps View Post
Has anybody else lost all the water out of the fresh water tank

Forest river has a fix however they don't tell the consumer until it ruins yet another weekend
Like KansasFR3 mentioned, you need to put some type of "P" trap in the overflow hose coming from the top of the tank. What happens is when you fill the FW tank and start driving, it creates a vacuum suction and will siphon the water out. Many different methods have been used to remedy this. I just used 1/2" pvc, made a "P" trap and added it inline. Or, if you have enough hose, put a coil or 2 inline. Problem solved....

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Like KansasFR3 mentioned, you need to put some type of "P" trap in the overflow hose coming from the top of the tank. What happens is when you fill the FW tank and start driving, it creates a vacuum suction and will siphon the water out. Many different methods have been used to remedy this. I just used 1/2" pvc, made a "P" trap and added it inline. Or, if you have enough hose, put a coil or 2 inline. Problem solved....
Doesn't the over flow come off the very top? I wondered why that happend to mine the first time I filled the tank.
ffpmdefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffpmdefi View Post
Doesn't the over flow come off the very top? I wondered why that happend to mine the first time I filled the tank.
Yes it does. Happened to us when we brought our FR3 home from the dealer. The dealer had no idea why the water loss would happen on such a new unit. I was not a happy camper with them. I called FR and talked to one of the reps. He told me about the "P" trap fix. He wanted to send parts to the dealer. I respectfully declined and told him that dealer would never see this coach again. I bought the parts as he described and did the repair myself. BTW, FR found me another dealer closer to me in case I needed any warranty work done.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #10

The p trap can cause a blockage possibility of collapsing the tank by blocking the air flow to the tank
Old 11-10-2016, 01:29 AM   #11
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRsimps View Post
The p trap can cause a blockage possibility of collapsing the tank by blocking the air flow to the tank

Sorry. This is incorrect. There will still be an open line even with the p trap or loops in the line. No blockage will occur unless a big chuck of debris gets in the line. Highly unlikely. The p trap stops the vacuum effect that would create a siphoning of the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums