Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
2018 FR3 32DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepaul1975 View Post
I am still stuck on your trailer that is 10k! lol
It's probably closer to 12k , 28" steel trailer, 3,000 car, 1,500lbs golf cart, Yamaha 125 Zuma scooter, 40 gallons of fuel, 10x10 awning, tool box, generator, jack, jack stands, air compressor, winch, 2 ice chests, med size grill/smoker, 2 cases of water, radio, cabinet full of parts and supplies.
Okie-FR3_32DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie-FR3_32DS View Post
It's probably closer to 12k , 28" steel trailer, 3,000 car, 1,500lbs golf cart, Yamaha 125 Zuma scooter, 40 gallons of fuel, 10x10 awning, tool box, generator, jack, jack stands, air compressor, winch, 2 ice chests, med size grill/smoker, 2 cases of water, radio, cabinet full of parts and supplies.
Wondering what you had to do or how you upgraded the hitch to allow for this heavy of a load. Thanks
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
2018 FR3 32DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winddancer View Post
Wondering what you had to do or how you upgraded the hitch to allow for this heavy of a load. Thanks
I took it to a hitch shop that does this type work, this is the 3rd RV they’ve done for me. They welded in steel plates from the very back frame forward for about 3.5 feet and then they replaced the bolt in hitch itself with a 12,000lb receiver hitch. It cost about $750.

Pulls just fine and with the trailer brakes it stops really good.

I also use a weight distribution hitch and sway bars on the trailer.
Okie-FR3_32DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimswim View Post
I have a V 10 in my 34 ft Class A. Put the 5 star kit in it. It did make a difference in shift points and driveability. I tow my Prius on a dolly and get low 9's for mileage. It does rev higher going up hills. Very pleased with its performance.
I have a 2016 34ft V-10 towing a Honda CRV and the best I've had is 8.1. Did the 5 Star make that much difference?
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolgamma View Post
5-star tuning ????

Not a single owner raves about better mileage or extra power. Some rave over the shifting improvements when towing.

So why bother voiding a perfectly good FORD warranty to get better shifting?

If you want to feel a real difference in "perceived" power difference, try a Banks cold air intake and the Banks "RV" muffler sized for the V-10.

This combo, if nothing else, SOUNDS more powerful. Your mileage will probably not improve if you are like me and keep your foot in it to hear the sweet sweet melody of the screaming V-10.

Glorious motor roar from the last of the dinosaurs!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av5arTYSlX_euidF-8mVkzpAoDuF

But thats my preference, don't believe in chassis upgrades either, preferring to reserve the $5000 to $7500 for wine wo(man) and song. Do the CHF, and keep those tire pressures as low as you can (safely) go.

And have fun with your FR-3, we love our 2014 DS-25.

Michael
a
5 star isn't 5,000 its more like 550
Old 09-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #26

Two places you don't want to try with that setup. Out of Buffalo, WY and west out of Jackson Hole.
Good Luck and be safe
Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #27
GnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick g View Post
This is what I installed. I had quite a bit left over for future uses. I removed the engine bonnet and installed it on the underside directly over the existing sound deadner. I was able to reach under the floor and insulate about 10/12 inches each way. When I put the engine bonnet back I noticed there was a gap on the passenger side of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I held the bonnet in the proper position and drilled the hole in the proper location. Huge improvement.
Might want to do the generator compartment also. My MH’s previous owner did that area as well. The V10 is a beast. Not a fume sniffer for sure, but it will get stuff done.
GnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #28

I had a V10 in my 2018 Georgetown 31L5 its too bad the hadn't had 22.5 on it when I bought it 19.5's made it seem top heavy. I did feel the engine was very strong though it did lack some power up the hills especially when towing but you adapt. I did steering stabilizer and Sumo's all around which made a difference to me but this May moved on to a DP and the ride, IMHO, is so much better. The only issue is my 2018 Forza 38W has only 340 hp and 700 ft lbs torque. So towing is still 5000 lbs. Which works for me anyways and so far I love the coach's layout and V-ride. Air suspension does make a difference to me , at least. I always wanted a DP anyway so it works for me.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #29
Tinkerer and Putterer

I have a forester that I did the engine cover and front passenger compartment. The cover helped but adding the floor allowed the DW and I to carry on normal conversations even under load going up grade. Don't stop with the cover!
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #30

Just got back from South Dakota pulling a ford ranger with a tow bar . Couldn’t tell it was
Back there. The transmission brake worked perfectly.
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
I have a 2016 34ft V-10 towing a Honda CRV and the best I've had is 8.1. Did the 5 Star make that much difference?
0.5 mpg. I travel in the northeast. Relatively flat roads, no mountains to climb. And I usually drive around 55 - 60 mph. A little slower than the speed limit but i do believe it helps with the fuel economy.
Jimswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #32
Happy Camper

I just arrived in the mountains of TN/NC as this was our first mountains trip in our FR3 since purchasing in Feb '20. It did a decent job pulling our TOAD up and down the mountains. I will need to gas up before leaving the area and was interested in learning more regarding your post where you said "I run 91/93 octane since I'm working the V10 hard."

By increasing the octane level, what benefits are there? I know the type/grade of motor oil used is important when working the engine hard, but didn't know about the octane level.

Thanks,

Eugene
Smiling as we're Driving!
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #33

I'd had read some articles when I got my Class A Gasser a few years ago and though I now have a DP if I recall most said use the gas recommended by the manufacturer otherwise it's just tossing good money away. Higher Octane Fuels are designed to reduce knock and ping in higher performance cars that operate at a higher cylinder pressure and a slower burn. Now if your goal is to increase you mileage or performance today's engine's are design to constantly adjust to maximize performance and mpg.. But if you're having issues it could be more related to an engine issue vs. fuel octane levels though older MHs might have carbon buildup in their cylinders so higher octane might be good for them. Now, a way to increase mpg. is to use a blend without ethanol in it or at least a lower than 10% level. I've heard if you can find that it could improve mpg. by as much as 5%. Just my thoughts there will be opinions many ways on it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #34

On our first longer trip this week. 3 mountain passes here in the Pacific Northwest and had zero issues. Engine break is fantastic. Couldn’t be happier
Old 09-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolgamma View Post
If you want to feel a real difference in "perceived" power difference, try a Banks cold air intake and the Banks "RV" muffler sized for the V-10.
You got it right...it's perceived power. Good placebo effect.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I'd had read some articles when I got my Class A Gasser a few years ago and though I now have a DP if I recall most said use the gas recommended by the manufacturer otherwise it's just tossing good money away. Higher Octane Fuels are designed to reduce knock and ping in higher performance cars that operate at a higher cylinder pressure and a slower burn.
Agreed, my work truck has the 6.8 V10, its between 20-26k lbs GCWR when towing. Regular 87 does the job just fine.