Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

New NPS Generator Accessories

A couple interesting items showing up on the website...

https://www.npsrvpower.com/product/sound-box/

https://www.npsrvpower.com/product/eco-kits/
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Going Coastal

Thanks, let us all know if you do the install. Especially the sound box. The darn thing is loud!
PARVwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARVwarrior View Post
Thanks, let us all know if you do the install. Especially the sound box. The darn thing is loud!
NPS actually gave me a call yesterday. They are shipping the sound box for free. 4 self tappping screws is what he said is needed for the install. Looking forward to getting it. The eco kit is $495 and requires dropping the generator out to install it so holding off on that for now.

My new fuel pump is on the way too along with a replacement oil pressure switch which seems to be the cause of some rough running (without dying) issues they are having.

No charge for any of these so far so couldn't be happier with NPS customer service. They are definitely trying to solve any issues as painlessly as possible.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #4

I wonder if the sound box results in greater heat.

From inside the MH, I don't find the generator to even be that loud, so also curious as to how much it'll decrease the sound.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
I wonder if the sound box results in greater heat.

From inside the MH, I don't find the generator to even be that loud, so also curious as to how much it'll decrease the sound.
We're going to find out. LOL Easy to get rid of it if it doesn't help enough. Agreed inside isn't that bad. Maybe the neighbors will appreciate it with a lot of the sound being blocked on that side. I'm trusting they tested it and if it didn't make a difference they wouldn't be going to all the trouble. I'll shoot some pictures of the install and do some sound testing before and after.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #6

In my opinion the eco kit is well worth your time...the sound box might not make that much difference.
I attached some pictures of the sound box installed on my 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_145100.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	262411   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_145044.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	262412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_145035.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	262413  
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
In my opinion the eco kit is well worth your time...the sound box might not make that much difference.
I attached some pictures of the sound box installed on my 5th wheel.
Thanks!

Here's a link to the eco kit install video recently uploaded.

https://youtu.be/4KRxC6_cVY0
Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

How hard was it to install the eco kit? Can a non mechanically inclined person do this install? How long did it take? Any install videos available?
fishingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingkid View Post
How hard was it to install the eco kit? Can a non mechanically inclined person do this install? How long did it take? Any install videos available?
There's a link to an installation video in the post just prior to yours.

It looks doable for even a novice, but could take a few hours.

Without having before versus after fuel consumption data available, it's hard to say if it's really worth it.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #10

I missed that link thank you for pointing that out. I guess I better figure out current generator issues prior to making any changes. Purchased a brand new 2021 forest river Wolfpack 2 days ago picked up out of state ended up leaving dealer without a working generator. Long story short generator shuts off after 1-3 minutes it primed starts right up runs then sounds like it runs out of fuel. I contacted NPS directly dealer was slow to respond but NPS had fast response and mobile mechanic coming out today to look at it. Generator has 0 hours I hope this can be resolved prior to a 2 week long trip off grid in Utah next month.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #11

Sounds like it could be a fuel flow issue. NPS has a new fuel pump that they claim should solve the issue. Check out https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-238264.html for more info.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
There's a link to an installation video in the post just prior to yours.

It looks doable for even a novice, but could take a few hours.

Without having before versus after fuel consumption data available, it's hard to say if it's really worth it.
Worst part of the install is removing the genny from the enclosure. It did take myself roughly 2-2.5hrs start to finish. With a help to carry it into the garage.

For fuel consumption. last weekend I ran with the eco kit for nearly 72hrs straight and my 30gal tank says 1/4 left. (side note its rated to hold 30gal but I dont think it actually does)... 2x 15k BTU A/C running on Auto intermittently during the day for reference.
I found a user guide that states 0.64gal/hr burn rate which I think is for the non-eco model. 72hrs at 0.64 yields 46gal. My eco kit version with quick calculations comes up with 0.31 gal/hr average.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #13

My generator was tested at dealership they removed fuel lines tested from different tank issues continued. They said possibly fuel pump or a board they said fuel pump would just shut off on its own after couple minutes. Thank you for the response on fuel efficiency I will take note of that where I will be remote for 2 weeks first week of November high altitude I might need to bring several gas cans.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Going Coastal

Replaced fuel pump with one provided by nps. Ran 3 hours on the road at 90 degree heat. problem solved! (fingers crossed)
PARVwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #15

I just picked up our new 2022 FR3 34DS and wanted to share my impression of the NPS generator set. I was pleasantly surprised to hear how quite it ran compared to what I have been reading on this forum. Then I noticed the "ECO" sticker on the cover and was thinking this was the reason it was quieter than expected. I'm going to go out on a limb and reason that the ECO package regulates the motor speed to match the load being drawn, so that a full load (50 amps) will result in the generator working at full power and being at max noise level. Any power demand less than full load will allow the ECO to slow the RPM's and the noise will decrease proportionately. No load and the motor runs at an (quiet) idle !!!
ForestGump34DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #16

I agree 100 percent I received a NPS 4500 in my new travel trailer. This was the old model generator that did not have the eco. I purchased the trailer out of state when doing final walk the generator would fire up and die after 2 minutes sounded like it ran out of fuel mechanics attempted to repair and trouble shoot.they were in able to RealAudio the issue at that dealership. I opted to take the trailer home and try dealing with it local to me. On my12 hour drive home I emailed NPS next morning when they opened they emailed me as soon as they opened. They had a mobile mechanic from a local shop near me at my house next day trouble shooting. He attempted to replace boards and trace wiring trace fuel lines trying to locate the issue. I ended up taking it to his shop NPS in the end sent me. Brand new generator with the eco model I fired it up 2 times with the generator is way quieter. Going to put it to official test Saturday night locally prior to big trip in 2 weeks. I hope it can charge my batteries good for this boon dock trip
Old 10-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #17

Glad to hear they've made it quieter and more fuel efficient, but it's disappointing for those with the regular units.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Glad to hear they've made it quieter and more fuel efficient, but it's disappointing for those with the regular units.
You can buy the eco kit and retro fit your regular unit. Works great!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
You can buy the eco kit and retro fit your regular unit. Works great!
Per their video, it looks like quite an adventure. Gen has to be removed from the chassis which is another chore on itself. I'll just get used to ther excess noise.
besweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Per their video, it looks like quite an adventure. Gen has to be removed from the chassis which is another chore on itself. I'll just get used to ther excess noise.
Just finished a month long 2000 mile trip in my 30DS. Gen worked perfectly but it never really was too hot outside. I am carrying the new fuel pump with me though.

The ECO sounds really nice and I'd love to have it. I think NPS should retrofit them for us early buyers for free or at least give us the kit. The noise never really bothered me at all on this trip...it's just the principle of the thing. It really is a big improvement for the gen and to not get it just for buying a little early is disappointing.

Tags
accessories, generator