Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #1

Noise and swaying

I have new 2021 30DS and new to RV, had TT before.
I have two questions:

One: Should the RV make a lot noise while being driven on freeway? Just seems really loud can’t even have a conversation whiteout speaking loud or maybe just not use to it.

Two: While driving the RV sways a little, has anyone installed any sway bars or anything to improve better handling?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #2

Welcome to the Class A world - My rig 2019 FR3 33DS

I installed Sumo Springs n All 4 corners, Trac-Bar & Steering Stabilizer.
You could also beef up and install an new sway bars.
I drive when I can with my tanks empty, water is heavy and carries momentum.

Other thing that you will have to fix as you find them.
Some noises are dishes, things in cupboards, things you can easily fix/move.
I use felt pads between the dishes and glass.
I have my wife walk around as we drove to search out the noises.

Try to pack my cargo storage for things don't slide back an forth when I drive
I had issues with, the main door squeaking/rattling, (turns out the screen door has a panel that needs to be caulked or taped) add sound dampening to the doghouse, slide locks on the slide keeps the slides from rattling too much. On my FR3 I have to remove the fireplace class when we drive as it rattles against the metal housing. Also I remove the microwave glass spinning plate when we drive.
Good luck
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonards View Post
I have two questions:

One: Should the RV make a lot noise while being driven on freeway? Just seems really loud can’t even have a conversation whiteout speaking loud or maybe just not use to it.

Two: While driving the RV sways a little, has anyone installed any sway bars or anything to improve better handling?
Is this on a V8 or V10 chassis?
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShuttleworth View Post
Is this on a V8 or V10 chassis?

V8
Old 01-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
V8
I wanted to clarify due to the V8 having upgrades the V10 did not come with. I will list below the features the V8 has, that the V10 does not.

New Powertrain Features

7.3L V8 350HP/468 ft. Lb.
445 cu in
Max torque at low RPM
Approx. 20% smaller and 30 lbs. lighter

New Suspension Features

Larger Front Stabilizer Bar (roll stiffness increase of 215%)
Larger Rear Stabilizer Bar (roll stiffness of 340%)
Long Travel Jounce Bumpers (better on center response and ride balance)
Front & Rear Leaf Spring Rate Increase
Retuned Front & Rear Shocks (improves roll damping & wheel strike-through)

New Content

New Engine Cover & Updated Drivers Deck
Increased Center of Gravity Height (driving behavior in cross winds & traffic)
Updated Instrument Display Cluster (Super Duty)
New Steering Wheel w/ Tilt/Telescopic
Hill Start Assist
Traction Control
New Hazard Light Switch
Auto Headlight Activation

In regards to the sway; Ford redid all the suspension on the new Chassis. I have drove both the V10 and V8, and the V8 drives much more superior.

I'm curious if anyone else has any insight on there suspension experience on the new chassis versus old. I wanted to post the new features; you may of been aware of these already, if so I apologize.

I am unaware at the moment if anyone is doing any upgraded suspension on the V8; feel free to chip in.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Brent
Old 01-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
I have two questions:

Hi,
I recently drove my 2021 34DS from Palm Springs to Jackson. The noise level was bearable, but if I wanted to listen to music I would've had to crank it up pretty loud. When I started climbing the Cajon pass with the T/H switch engaged the engine got REALLY loud as it revved high. Once I slowed down from 55 to 50 through the pass, the engine noise dropped considerably.

It's normal to hear wind and some road noise. LA area roads tend to have lots of expansion joints and rough surfaces (from over use), so you'll hear noise as you hit those. I-5 and CA-99 also have some rough patches that are bumpy and noisy.

From personal experience, diesel pushers have a quieter ride because the engine is in the back and they typically have airbags to cushion the ride. But, you'll have to pay 2X to 3X what you paid to get a new DP.

Sincerely,
Cliff
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
I have two questions:

1) Your experience is normal.

2) I stay off of the freeways and enjoy the slow going of the back roads and less traveled routes when possible. Makes for a much more pleasurable RV experience.
Texas78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #8

My 2021 FR3 30DS was so noisy on the 500 mile trip home from the dealer that I bought some DynaMat and soundproofed the dash and under the deck (there are no wheelwells like on a regular truck or vehicle). There is really nothing between you, 350hp and tire noise than 3/4" of plywood and that was ill fitted around the steering column and had to be sealed (I could see daylight). Also, my power steering pump, that is right under the drivers feet, whines something fierce so really needed soundproofing. Now we drive at 63mph on the highway at 72dB. My wife and I can have a conversation without yelling at each other so this makes for a peaceful trip.
B2testnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

B2Testnav, would you happen to have pics of where you installed Dynamat. Much appreciated if I go that route.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2testnav View Post
My 2021 FR3 30DS was so noisy on the 500 mile trip home from the dealer that I bought some DynaMat and soundproofed the dash and under the deck (there are no wheelwells like on a regular truck or vehicle). There is really nothing between you, 350hp and tire noise than 3/4" of plywood and that was ill fitted around the steering column and had to be sealed (I could see daylight). Also, my power steering pump, that is right under the drivers feet, whines something fierce so really needed soundproofing. Now we drive at 63mph on the highway at 72dB. My wife and I can have a conversation without yelling at each other so this makes for a peaceful trip.
Yes pics would be great!
JoshNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

Texas nailed it with staying off the freeways, you drive slower quieter and don't have the traffic.

Between you and the tires is some plywood, I used rockwool insulation trimmed and glued between the framework with a sheet of something similar to dynomatt to help protect the insulation.

I also lined my engine cover with the sound dampener. The three bolts that hold the engine cover down loosen which will really increase the noise.

I also installed a quality carpet and pad around the front seats and over the engine compartment which really helped.

At 2000ish rpm the noise is comfortable, at 3000 it's tolerable and pushing 4000 you are shouting.
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:

When being passed by a truck move right a little, you will notice they usually will move left. This keeps you from being pushed by their wind. If you are passing them you go left and they will usually go right.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #13
Happy Camper

I have the FR3 2020 DS30 V10 model and flat tow a Chevy Equinox. The first several trips it felt like a sailboat with the swaying. After reading posts in this group regarding recommendations I decided to take a slow approach with the suggested upgrades due to the overall costs.

1. Installed curtains in the cab area behind the captain chairs and keep them closed when traveling as it helps cool and heat the front cab. A big difference.

2. Did the cheap handling fix with the front sway bar that came with the motorhome. Look on YouTube for videos on how to DYI - it's not that difficult to handle yourself and did make a slight improvement without spending money. I am thinking about replacing it with the Roadmaster's front sway bar in the near future.

3. Installed a rear sway bar from Roadmaster and made a big difference.

4. On my to-do list is to install more sound barrier on the engine cover and install an exterior exhaust vent for our microwave/convention oven unit. When using that unit it generates too much heat inside the MH and I want to send the smells outside for others to enjoy!

5. Installed 2 roof vent covers

6. Sealed up the metal bracket wall that supports the exterior TV. That metal bracket wall has a lot of holes in it which is under the kitchen cabinet that allows cold air to enter the inside of the MH.

Hope you found this helpful.
Smiling as we're Driving!
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 PM   #14
Happy Camper

B2testnav - Could you please take a picture of the padding and carpet you installed in the front and post it?
Smiling as we're Driving!
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #15

I did the CHF on the front sway bar and installed the safe-t-plus steering stabilizer. That made a big difference in handling. Looking to do the CHF on the rear sway bar this spring. Having the correct tire pressure is also a huge deal. At 80-82 lbs the FR3 sways especially when trucks blow by. At 90-92 the handling is totally different, still a little push from the trucks but steering is so much easier.

I just ordered Dynamat to install on the underside of the engine cover. That modification has gotten good reviews on other posts.

To assure all of my cargo is secured, I use pool noodles to wedge in between items in the cargo bays. They come in a couple different sizes and are very inexpensive. I also split noodles on one side and slide them onto the bottom of the slides, eliminates banging my head while setting up .
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRJR View Post
B2testnav - Could you please take a picture of the padding and carpet you installed in the front and post it?
Maybe you meant me. She got put away dirty last fall but here is a picture of my carpeted front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210308_135231.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	249162

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210308_135242.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	249163
Old 03-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #17

California freeways are abusive. It’s like offroading everywhere you go. It’s just not enjoyable. When you hit a smooth stretch, a rarity, you’ll see and hear the difference.

On my 2015 30DS I added a steering stabilizer on the front and heavy duty sway bar on the rear. Much of our travels is on 62 and Old Woman Springs Road (247) in CA. 62 is the wind tunnel for all the windmills you see out in the Palm Springs area. The gusts are insane. It felt like we went from fighting Mike Tyson to have a slap fight with a three year old. It was about $1,000 in upgrades installed, but well worth it imo.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShuttleworth View Post
I wanted to clarify due to the V8 having upgrades the V10 did not come with. I will list below the features the V8 has, that the V10 does not.

In regards to the sway; Ford redid all the suspension on the new Chassis. I have drove both the V10 and V8, and the V8 drives much more superior.

I'm curious if anyone else has any insight on there suspension experience on the new chassis versus old. I wanted to post the new features; you may of been aware of these already, if so I apologize.

I am unaware at the moment if anyone is doing any upgraded suspension on the V8; feel free to chip in.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Brent
Hi Brent,
You seem to be in the know on these FR3's. We are still shopping RV's and really like the FR3 30DS. My question is what year did FR start using the fiberglass roof on the FR3? I have read 2017, but some with 2017 say they still have the TPO. Was that a mid year change in 2017 or did it not start until 2018? We also are looking at the Sunseeker and Forester, which seem to have had the fiberglass roof for a few years before 2017. Thanks for your input!
ldstandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstandlee View Post
Hi Brent,
You seem to be in the know on these FR3's. We are still shopping RV's and really like the FR3 30DS. My question is what year did FR start using the fiberglass roof on the FR3? I have read 2017, but some with 2017 say they still have the TPO. Was that a mid year change in 2017 or did it not start until 2018? We also are looking at the Sunseeker and Forester, which seem to have had the fiberglass roof for a few years before 2017. Thanks for your input!
2017 is correct when FR3 started using Fiberglass roofs. Sunseeker and Forester are great motorhomes as well. If I can answer any other further questions please feel free to ask or PM me.

Thank you,

Brent
Old 08-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #20

Go to https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2622594
for complete pics of what I did for the noise issue
JimBath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, sway