Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

Norcold fridge not cooling

I have a 2018 32DS and the fridge is not cooling. I have a Norcold 2118T 4 door. The fridge does not cool below 60 and the freezer does not go below 20 during the day. It started acting up at our last camping site. I always connect my motorhome power cord to a power surge protector with EMS, but I did notice the power output on box was reading low, but EMS never shut off. On the way home I went through a bad rain storm while the unit was running on gas, I got a LI oP fault code and got red light on back off unit. I reset it with magnet and light went out. I thought that was the cooling issue but it still would not cool. I even changed out the thermistor and still nothing. The fridge and freezer does cool down at 44 and 12 at night but as the day gets warm, so does the fridge. I have the temp setting on 9. All three fans are working behind unit, also inside unit, and I have noticed NO yellowish leaks behind fridge. And the fins in the fridge are sweating. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me diagnose issue??
jalarrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalarrieu View Post
I have a 2018 32DS and the fridge is not cooling. I have a Norcold 2118T 4 door. The fridge does not cool below 60 and the freezer does not go below 20 during the day. It started acting up at our last camping site. I always connect my motorhome power cord to a power surge protector with EMS, but I did notice the power output on box was reading low, but EMS never shut off. On the way home I went through a bad rain storm while the unit was running on gas, I got a LI oP fault code and got red light on back off unit. I reset it with magnet and light went out. I thought that was the cooling issue but it still would not cool. I even changed out the thermistor and still nothing. The fridge and freezer does cool down at 44 and 12 at night but as the day gets warm, so does the fridge. I have the temp setting on 9. All three fans are working behind unit, also inside unit, and I have noticed NO yellowish leaks behind fridge. And the fins in the fridge are sweating. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me diagnose issue??
If the fins inside the unit are sweating that is a sign of high moisture.
Are the doors sealing well?

Higher refrigerator temps during the day with normal temps in the evening also indicate the doors being opened too often (or too long) -vs- the doors being closed overnight.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #3

The right bottom door does seem loose. The door locks in but has some play and I do notice the seal is slightly pinched but I don’t not feel any cool air coming from seal. Do you know if there is a way, of taking extra play out of door?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If the fins inside the unit are sweating that is a sign of high moisture.
Are the doors sealing well?

Higher refrigerator temps during the day with normal temps in the evening also indicate the doors being opened too often (or too long) -vs- the doors being closed overnight.

I checked fridge doors and everything looks great. Except not sure if I am gonna getting a good seal, like you have mentioned. I am gonna try to clean the seal with dawn and see if it helps. I read another forum post and it helped them. I’ll keep the post informed if it helps. Thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

I have the same 2018 FR3 with the same problem. My brand new RV was in the service dept one month and they claimed they could not reproduce the problem. Finally, it happened while in service and determined to be the cooling unit. They had to get authorization from Norcold. This took a while, and another month to fix. So far it's been 6 months and no more problems. I was told this has happened to others with the same refrigerator.
alitaaldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #6

The traditional fridge seal check involves closing the door on a $1 bill ($5 bill if you're well off - ) and doing a tug test. It should be somewhat difficult to slide the bill out, i.e., you should be able to feel some "drag." Do it all the way around the door.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fridge