Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Oh Deer.....

Had a friend borrow the FR3 for a quick 2 night trip at a state park around the corner. Deer ran out in front of him in broad daylight today in a narrow 2 lane tree-lined road, body checked the front right corner and bounced.

A decent crack running along the corner of the camper and it popped the headlight out but I have it and it's fully intact, the whole unit just separated from the front bumper. The front grill popped open but I got it back shut. There's some hairline cracking on the body near the lower portion of windshield. And a slight crack at the very top of the washer fluid unit but high enough to not cause any issues or early drainage. Still drives fine. He's devastated and feels terrible, I'm glad it wasn't worse and that the deer didn't t-bone the entire side, or hit a slide, take out the windshield, etc...

1) I assume there's enough here to go ahead and file the $500 deductible to start repair process?
2) I assume that it's fileable even though I wasn't driving?
3) We have a 10 day trip to Michigan August 20-29 -- is it best to just slap some duct tape on this seam to prevent further feathering and get it taken care of when we get back? 3 weeks seems like a pipe dream turnaround from what I have experienced in the RV service world thus far....
4).... I assume they just repair the fiberglass and repaint and it's nothing excessive like replacing the entire front fiberglass?
5) Would you have concerns about driving with the fiberglass crack near the windshield?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, tips?

Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow. Glad no injuries. Hopefully friend will pay your deductible.
I could never loan (or rent) my RV. Your friend has a good friend in you.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Get it in for estimate and parts order. You both need to contact your insurance companies and let them hash it out.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Get it in for estimate and parts order. You both need to contact your insurance companies and let them hash it out.
Good advice. Most insurance companies are going to ask about the driver's insurance even though the vehicle is already insured. Hopefully there isn't a rider on your plan that doesn't cover damages incurred by a non policy driver.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Definitely contact your insurance company and ask.

I know if I borrow the neighbors truck my policy is in place as long as I have permission.

So if it is the same would be his policy but may not be that way for an RV.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #6

New old stock FR3 front end cap for early models NLA, should yours be non-repairable the insurance co may total RV.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #7

I think if I borrow something to drive...my insurance covers it. I would check with their insurance first.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

Deer around here are plentiful. Dad had a deer hit him in the city near the mall at lunchtime. (door damage ($2500). The DW hit one the other morning................ I have seen them cross our road several times daily.........

Not seeing your damage sounds like probably $1500 to $2000......... or more.

I hit a deer not to long ago mostly hood and windshield $3000.

I could go on and on but the bottom line other than the deer no one was hurt.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote