Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Overhead Bed retraint

Would appreciate ideas on how to secure a person who is sleeping in the overhead bed on the FR3 30DS from falling out onto the floor. We will be having our grandchild traveling with us from time to time and don't want him to fall out of bed.
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

We were promised a net for our front bunk but the dealer never delivered. I haven't found a good source for them, but I see new units that are delivered with the net.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

We purchased a Regalo Swing Down Safety Bed for our Bunk bed in our FR3 32DS for $20.99 from Walmart. It's only 43" long, so we block with a pillow anything that's open. It probably will work for the front overhead bed as well. We planned to move it around from bunk beds to the converted booth to the front overhead bed, when needed. Relatively easy to move.

1st time we had our Grandkids friend on the top bunk, I heard a thunk in the middle of the night! Opened up my bedroom door and he was sitting on the floor surprised. Thank God he had flipped over, hit on the bed that was extended below and ended up sitting on the floor, not hurt!

Why didn't the top bunk bed come with a safety net or something when the motorhome was new.? Who did they think would be up in a bunk bed besides kids?
Good Luck
Busboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #4

There was no net that came with the coach for the overhead bed when we bought it unfortunately. I'll go back to the Dealer and ask if they can supply one. Thanks for the suggestion.
If un-successful, I'll try Wally World or rig up a new fish net.
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

I'm sorry, I left out 1 word. It is a Regalo Swing Down Safety Bed "RAIL". Take a look at it online.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

Without any secure points on the wall or ceiling we made a bed rail for the over headbunk for the 11 & 6 yrs olds. Sorry no pic access today. P Mail me if you want a pic. Used a 6' peice of wire closet shelfing (10" deep), 6' peice of 2" dia PVC, two matching PVC end caps, two 8" x 8" L brackets (white to match), two 2-1/2" 14-20 bolts w/ nuts, 6 zip ties. You want the little end caps for both ends of the shelf material. Around 20$ project.

Need to cut rack to desired length (bolt cutters, hack saw, cut off tool). Or have it cut to your length at the big box. Cut PVC to match length.

Turn shelf upside down and slide it under the mattress. Mount the L brackets to the turned up outside lip with zips. Now the turned lip and L brackets stick upabove the bed edge.

Drill and mount the PVC (bolt with the nuts facing away from the bed) to the top of the inside of the L brackets. The PVC becomes the rub rail on the inside of the bed.

I put each kid up there and challenged them to escape. Rolled as they could the brace would not yeild. We stow it up against fron cab wall.

Since installing four years ago we cut the length down to about 4- 1/2 foot.

Would have love to have factory, but didn't, and did not want to deface any of the interior so we went with something portable..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Looked at the regalo, nice product. Two concerns; can you feel the rails from the top of the mattress (how thick are they), and can you still use the ladder as we are able to.

All overhead bunks should have factory nest, rails, or something. Certainly a safety concern that needs to be address. The industry will probably issue a massive recall to install as sticker "Warning: you could fall out and become injured if you sleep in this area."

Sorry, I know this is an important topic...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Looked at the regalo, nice product. Two concerns; can you feel the rails from the top of the mattress (how thick are they), and can you still use the ladder as we are able to.

All overhead bunks should have factory nest, rails, or something. Certainly a safety concern that needs to be address. The industry will probably issue a massive recall to install as sticker "Warning: you could fall out and become injured if you sleep in this area."

Sorry, I know this is an important topic...
We have no problems. There is only 2 flat straps that are under the mattress. The pivot points are under the mattress only at the face and probably below the mattress height. The ladder might be a problem unless you remove at night. It would pivot over the ladder I think but I don't know the distance to the top rung. It might not interfere with getting down. We noticed there is a longer one $28+. The height is 20", so it would probably pivot 20" down?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy1 View Post
We have no problems. There is only 2 flat straps that are under the mattress. The pivot points are under the mattress only at the face and probably below the mattress height. The ladder might be a problem unless you remove at night. It would pivot over the ladder I think but I don't know the distance to the top rung. It might not interfere with getting down. We noticed there is a longer one $28+. The height is 20", so it would probably pivot 20" down?
The longer one was 56"
Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

Another avenue would be to use the ladder tabs to mount a brace. But given the frequency of the two boys going up and down at bed time requires the ladder, or better yet an escalator. The youngest loves the fact that his bed is in the same room as the refrigerator.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Another avenue would be to use the ladder tabs to mount a brace. But given the frequency of the two boys going up and down at bed time requires the ladder, or better yet an escalator. The youngest loves the fact that his bed is in the same room as the refrigerator.
You know one thing it might be able to pivot down when the bed is up and not interfere with getting in and out of the front seats. I might be stretching it.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #12

I saw a post from someone a while back where they installed a couple of rail/slat brackets on the front of the bunk and used "Little Red Wagon" style rails to prevent small children from falling out of the upper bunk. Sounds like something that wouldn't be too hard to make!

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #13

Here's a link to the older post I referenced.
FR3 Pictures of Mods - Page 19 - Forest River Forums

Old 03-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #14

Papaduck
look at these. I'm thinking of something. Their grandmother frowns on my "tie them up suggestion" LOL luv them kids.
https://www.amazon.com/KOOLDOO-Toddl...1&sr=8-64&th=1

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
Papaduck
look at these. I'm thinking of something. Their grandmother frowns on my "tie them up suggestion" LOL luv them kids.
https://www.amazon.com/KOOLDOO-Toddl...1&sr=8-64&th=1
How does the person sleeping in the upper bunk get to the ladder and come down without removing the entire assembly?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #16

I’ve heard of people putting pool noodles under the outer edge of the mattress. Forms a ridge that keeps all but the most restless sleepers from falling out, but wouldn’t restrain a mischievous child from trying to climb out.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaduck View Post
How does the person sleeping in the upper bunk get to the ladder and come down without removing the entire assembly?
It folds down. You might have to cut a little slate in the mesh where ladder attaches. when my grandkids are up there they are in for the nite or nap. I'm not to kine on them playing up there yet because they are too little yet. 2 boys 4years old and an adult sleeps with them at nite. So no ladder play.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
RCW

I used a piece of 1 inch pine board. And used hinges to attach it to the wood under the mattress. Lift the mattress and fold the board up when needed. Fold it down when not being used. Stained it to match interior .
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed