Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

PDI Check List for 30DS

I am aware there have been endless generic check lists to help newbies like me avoid leaving the dealership with a box load of problems. My question for the forum is this: are there any notrious things particular to the FR3
30 DS that I should be looking for. Mind you - this is my first venture into the motorhome world and I need all the help I can get.
Phunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #2

PDI Check List for 30DS

Door hinge screws come loose and sometimes strip. I've replaced a few of mine with rivets.

Woodwork above the loft bed sometimes not fastened well. Staples pop out.

Look up under the front window shade to see that the screws are in tight and not backed out. Also in that area check the bolts under the loft bed. While looking up look above the driver e shade reset push button switch is free of getting caught on the shade. Also check the shade up and down. If you disconnect the chassis battery you lose the preset stop at top settings.

Sporadic bad LP regulator valves. You won't know this until you hear gas leaking outside. I had my dealer do a compressed LP test of the entire system after replacing mine.

Check and see if you have Quikee steps. Much better than the older LCI steps that have a weak shoulder bold that breaks. I had the older Lippert three step and they broke in less than 1100 miles. I replaced mine with Quikee two step model because where I park my coach the third lowest step always skimmed the ground.

Pretty sure you won't have to worry about the bedroom slide gears anymore.

In the battery bay check to see that the battery stap hold downs are tite. Mine required tightening.

If you think your Onan generator exhaust is too low you can ask your dealer to raise it. I removed the pipe up at the connection point to the generators, cut off here inches, re slotted the pipe and reinstalled so that it now is only an inch from the faring trim.

I had a bad Dometic toilet .. Was a recall on them and they sent me a new one.

There was a recall on the power awning as well you should ask your dealer to check the serial number on the outside of the roller.

Check the round trailer plug under the rear bumper to see if it's the lowest point on the bumper. If it is. Ask the dealer to move it. If you don't when you back up into an inclining drive way you will bend the steel holder and crack the round connector.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Thanks, Technorick. I'm creating a list off of this and other forums. What a shame FR allows their product to leave the factory with these problems. They better pay attention to what happened top the US auto industry. When alternatives arrive, the customers will leave.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #4

I understand the impulse to blame FR for poor quality, but as this FR3 is a new model I would expect there to be a learning curve in the factory. These issues like the toilet and awning recalls and faulty LP regulators are things FR cannot control if they get a bad batch from the supplier. These coaches are not mass produced by robotics like Cars in Detroit. They are crafted by people. Many of the MH other lines have the same issues with new models. At least in this price range.

I recently talked at length with the product line manager for the line about a tailgate lift, and corresponded with the warranty manager on other items. They are very committed to improving the design and quality. They are very responsive. Since I purchased my DS30 2014 the designers have [on newer models] upgraded the storage bin doors to side swing [mine flip down) and get have upgraded the shower curtain door twice. They have added cup holders and replaced the steps with reliable models. They have changed the tv flip up to side swing and added pull out drawers under the dinette. My 2014 did not come with a TV in the bedroom. I added it from my previous TT. I think they come standard now and with king bed. Mine is queen. They moved the 7 pin round trailer outlet below the bumper to keep it from getting crunched and I think in 15 they have darkened the color scheme and are replacing the AC with a more robust unit.

I listed the PDI look for list not to slam FR. Even though my 14 does not have many of the improvements, I need to say that I'm happy with my FR3, its overall quality and the the folks who support the users.

2014 30DS
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

PDI Check list

Its good to hear that FR is in the game. We really like the product layout, and it seems to offer more than anyone else in the price range.

Another question - when a problem shows up at the dealer, does the dealer eat the cost of repair, or (like the auto industry) does the manufacturer get reimbursed for what it takes to correct the problem? I read so many stories where the customer battles with the dealer to have things made right before delivery. If the dealer is covered by the manufacturer, you would think they would be happy to do the work.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #6

I think in most cases the dealer calls FR and identifies the problem and If under warranty the manufacturer gives the dealer a per hour repair reimbursement much less than the posited service rate.

I've found my local Campers Inn caries so many different products that they often don't know about the defective stuff we chat about here. And although the Campers Inn chain outlets are generally authorized FR dealers, not all of them are listed as dealers on the FR web site. My Massachusetts Campers Inn seems to refer to the larger NJ master dealer.

My closest camper dealer is actually a Camping World and I was told was not authorized to sell new FR motorhomes...that said they will take them in trade and sell used coaches and service them but I would not try to use them for a warranty repair because as they are not part of the dealer network and they may not get the same priority as a fully authorized FR dealer. By the way, the doc prep costs quoted at CW were nearly $1000. On a new coach and did not include inspection sticker. At my Campers Inn they were $250 and I included tags registration runner and inspection sticker.

If a defect is no longer under warranty but an identified suspect part fails not caused by user stupidity or normal wear and tear I suspect the authorized FR dealer would notify FR and negotiate a resolution.

In the case of my LP regulator leaking the day after I drove my used DS30 2014 off the lot, the dealer seemed to recognize the issue from other FR models and just swapped it out. I doubt they even wrote it up.

2014 FR330 DS
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

One thing about FR is that they will allow warranty work done at any dealer selling FR products. Even if the dealer does not sell the FR3, but sells other FR lines, you can have warranty work authorized there.
Unfortunately, most dealers will put warranty work at the bottom of the priority list because they don't get as much from the mfg. as they would get for regular repairs. But, I've found that if you stay on their ass, they'll sometimes get it done quicker. Sometimes is the key word. Don't let them tell you the hold up is due to FR. When I'm told that I'll call FR and find that the work was approved days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi