Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #21

The FR 28 DS does have a transfer switch, I know I have one. The switch is located above the batteries. When plugging in genny to the three prong plug in the back left bay, as has been done properly, you can hear it switch over.

This happened to a couple camping near us last year. Using a multimeter I thought I isolated the problem to the transfer switch, upon them getting the repair done they confirmed yes it was transfer switch, not sure if that is the technical name but it turned out there is a plunger in that box that when activated switches power over.

I told them we could probably put a jumper wire on for a temp fix but they declined, perhaps wisely.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #22

ok, i'm confused! it is stated model year 2015. was this purchased new by the OP or was in purchased used? if used it is possible that modifications were done to it. a stock unit would not have an automatic transfer switch and a generator receptacle. having an automatic transfer switch involves does provide additional points of failure.

just for info, does the unit have one or two air conditioners?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #23

Upon further reading the posts I got thinking that the problem I helped my fellow campers with was actually not having power on 12 volt after unplugging from shore power or genny, not the genny working sometimes or not.

I suppose the transfer switch above batteries could be the culprit, surely would be worth looking into.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #24

Thanks, I will perform the tests after I return home next week. I am in a campground so all is good. Do you hava any guesses to where the problem is? Thanks, Bob
Dolce2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #25

just trying to understand. to cariboucamper: is that unit on the ceiling above the batteries
the converter or is it an inverter? many times an inverter is mounted very near the batteries. ours happens to be in the ceiling right above the batteries.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #26

If you are required to plug in your Shore Cord to a 'Generator outlet', then YOU are the transfer switch, there is no need for an additional 'transfer switch' within the coach since you are handling it physically. Now, don't confuse an Inverter's 'transfer switch' as the same thing, since it's job is to transfer Generator or Shore power thru the Inverter(as a pass thru) to the Inverter breakers/circuits.

Larger coaches will have an 'Automatic' transfer switch since there is no requirement to plug in the Shore Cord when you crank the generator - the ATS automatically senses the new power from the Generator and supplies it to your breaker panel/circuits for your coach.

I have a feeling, per your description of 'when' this lack of power occurs, that you have a loose wire either at the Generator breaker itself, or within your main Breaker panel's main circuit breaker. When you are driving for a part of the day, usually during the hot hours, the loose wire may not be making a proper connection(the screw may not be TIGHT). When you've parked for several hours, or overnight, and the wire has time to cool back down, the wire may then be making the proper connection.
It's sounds a little weird, but it's happened to us. The breaker's screw was no longer 'tight' to the wire, and the wire would sometimes make a good connection, and sometimes not.... this also happened in the heat of the summer when air conditioners were needed.

It's probably a loose wire at the generator breaker...since you seem to have no problems with shore power coming into the main panel.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
just trying to understand. to cariboucamper: is that unit on the ceiling above the batteries
the converter or is it an inverter? many times an inverter is mounted very near the batteries. ours happens to be in the ceiling right above the batteries.
I just looked. My unit is 2017 FR3 28 DS. It is called a Battery Control Center SDC-107A about a 6"x5" metal box. It is located right above batterie box beside the steps.

I googled the number SDC-107A and it took me directly to Fraser river forum site with a thread regarding same. Do not think this is original posters problem area but I suppose it could be. There is a plunger in there that activates to switch from shore power to 12 volt. Maybe it is sticking??
Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #28

Thinking maybe Former FR is on the right track.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #29

i do not have this model so this is not gospel. but if i understand the fr3 is a motor home with its own engine and engine battery. the engine battery is normally connected to the house batteries via a battery control relay. could this be what the battery control center is?

also, if you have a residential refrigerator there is also some form of smaller transfer switch to transfer refrigerator power between shore power and inverter. this small transfer switch is not the one that transfers power between shore power and generator.

i'm back to thinking that this does not have an automatic transfer switch and the problem is a loose connection is the power cables from generator to that generator receptacle. several others have mentioned the same.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
I just looked. My unit is 2017 FR3 28 DS. It is called a Battery Control Center SDC-107A about a 6"x5" metal box. It is located right above batterie box beside the steps.

I googled the number SDC-107A and it took me directly to Fraser river forum site with a thread regarding same. Do not think this is original posters problem area but I suppose it could be. There is a plunger in there that activates to switch from shore power to 12 volt. Maybe it is sticking??
The battery control center has absolutity nothing to do with the 120VAC side of the coach. The device (Solenoid) in there you hear clicking is what connects the chassis and coach 12 VDC systems together under specific circumstances.

I also concur with CHICKDOE (post 19) that the problem lies between the generator output and the generator receptacle.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #31

The three prong plug is in the rear of the coach on the opposite side of the batteries. The batteries and inverter are located together and near the entrance door. Thanks, Bob
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I ask if he had a "Transfer Switch "in post #4! You do Not need 2 transfer switches for this application !
With MY Inventor there is three sources of 120 volts AC ; Shore, Generator & Inverter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EVOLUTIONTM Series Inverter-Charger.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	178381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce2017 View Post
When I stop and hook up to shore power, I unplug the triple prong cord from the 30 amp RV plug and route the triple prong 30 amp plug to the 30 amp shore power. Everything works great on shore power.
When I use the generator, I plug the 30 amp triple prong adapter to the outlet on the RV. There is only one outlet on the RV that accepts the 3 prong plug. There is no switch to set in the RV.
To reiterate, sometimes the generator produces electricity to the coach when pledged in and sometimes it does not. For example, we drove and stopped for the night and started the generator and no power to the coach. We woke up the next morning, and without doing anything, started the generator and everything powered up. Later that day, we drove several hundred miles and I tried the started the generator to find there was no power. An hour later, I started the generator to find everything powered up fine. Please remember this is an unmodified 2015 FR3 28ds with low miles. I appreciate your continued suggestions.
Thanks,
Bob
Quote:
Thanks, I will perform the tests after I return home next week. I am in a campground so all is good. Do you hava any guesses to where the problem is? Thanks, Bob
As mentioned by formerFR, I believe it is a loose wire. Somewhere between the Generator and the Generator outlet. I would start with the outlet. With Generator OFF remove the outlet cover and check the wires. Please be careful 120 volts AC can kill.

Quote:
The three prong plug is in the rear of the coach on the opposite side of the batteries. The batteries and inverter are located together and near the entrance door. Thanks, Bob
Did you install the inverter in your battery bay? Where does the inverter 120 volts AC go? What brand and model is it? Does it have a Transfer switch?

My battery bay before upgrade to LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_171216.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	178380

p.s. An inverter changes 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC. My FR3 did not come from the factory with an inverter. It only had a Converter/Charger to supply 12 volts DC to the coach.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #33

I'm a little confused.

Does he have a transfer switch or doesn't he? Transfer switches can fail.

What is the condition of the breaker(s) on the generator, breakers are known to fail.

A lose connection is a possibility but this has to be confirmed or ruled out by checking for continuity.

Another possibility is the generator itself, when the motor turns that doesn't necessarily mean that the generator produces electricity.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I'm a little confused.

Does he have a transfer switch or doesn't he? Transfer switches can fail.

What is the condition of the breaker(s) on the generator, breakers are known to fail.

A lose connection is a possibility but this has to be confirmed or ruled out by checking for continuity.

Another possibility is the generator itself, when the motor turns that doesn't necessarily mean that the generator produces electricity.
That model FR3 does NOT come with a transfer switch. Also no inverter was installed by the manufacturer.

I had the same intermittent issue with my Onan 4000 QG, and it did end up a loose wire between the gen output and receptacle. I opened all junction boxes and found the culprit.
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #35

Thanks, I’ll check the wire.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
That model FR3 does NOT come with a transfer switch. Also no inverter was installed by the manufacturer.

I had the same intermittent issue with my Onan 4000 QG, and it did end up a loose wire between the gen output and receptacle. I opened all junction boxes and found the culprit.

Thanks, it now makes sense to me.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #37

Possible Overload trip on Gen .
Reset itself .
In the future , ensure large loads , IE A/C , Hot Water Tank , are off prior to starting generator .

Sent from my VS995 using Forest River Forums mobile app
WTPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #38

I had a very similar problem. I had a loose connection in the breaker box. A loose ground or hot wire where it connects to the breaker bar can cause what you are talking about.
Charles Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #39

Make sure you check the condition of your shore plug and that it is seated good. The prongs could be tarnished and not making good contact. Temp changes( contraction & expansion) or moisture could be the cause for intermittentcy.

Sent from my VS987 using Forest River Forums mobile app
jtmitch416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #40

Thanks, the shore plug works fine when plugged into the shore though. Bob

Tags
camping, dry camping, power