Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Question for FR3 33DS Owners

We currently have a 2015 Forest River 2861DS. Last Sunday, we stopped by local RV store lot and checked the floor plan on the 2020 FR3 33DS. We loved the space and floor plan design. Thinking of selling (or trading) our 2861DS to a FR3 33DS.

Is there anything you dislike on the 33DS (after purchase)? Any known issues on this particular model?

Our 2861DS also have a Ford V10 engine. How did the FR3 33DS get more towing capacity and more GCVWR if they have the same engine? (Different transmission, etc?).
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #2

We were going to do the 33ds as we loved the layout but when we saw the 34ds and extra bathroom we went with that
Old 09-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

33DS

We bought our 2019 33DS last year, and like you bought it because we loved the floorplan. So far we still love our unit and are happy with purchase. We've had no major problems but have had a few things fixed that could have turned major. Make sure the slide recall has been done if applicable to your model number. Also check the fresh water tank and make sure it is supported by the frame. You may have to crawl under the rig to confirm this. Ours was sitting in the storage compartment but there was about an 1 1/2 inch space been the cabinet and the frame. We had to add shimns under ours. Without the shimns, when the tank is full, there is not enough support and it will start to stress the cabinet. I have seen other posts from 33DS owners who have reported the same issue. Like most other FR3 owners we have added steering stablizer, rear anti-sway bar and sumo springs which have made the ride much better. Hope this helps.
Mart38655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
We currently have a 2015 Forest River 2861DS. Last Sunday, we stopped by local RV store lot and checked the floor plan on the 2020 FR3 33DS. We loved the space and floor plan design. Thinking of selling (or trading) our 2861DS to a FR3 33DS.

Is there anything you dislike on the 33DS (after purchase)? Any known issues on this particular model?

Our 2861DS also have a Ford V10 engine. How did the FR3 33DS get more towing capacity and more GCVWR if they have the same engine? (Different transmission, etc?).
Ford F53 changed to a 6-speed transmission in 2016 or 2017.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Ford F53 changed to a 6-speed transmission in 2016 or 2017.
Ford released the new V8 F53 which is what all FR3's are built on now. We switched in February, I have included a link below for you to review. The V8 will also come with upgraded suspension from Ford along with a lot of other upgrades. If I can provide further information please let me know!

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...f53-motorhome/
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #6

Does the New V8 engine have the same (or more) power and towing capacity as the V10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShuttleworth View Post
Ford released the new V8 F53 which is what all FR3's are built on now. We switched in February, I have included a link below for you to review. The V8 will also come with upgraded suspension from Ford along with a lot of other upgrades. If I can provide further information please let me know!

Old 10-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #7

How much does it cost to do an oil change? I assume you have to do this at a dealership? We are considering moving from our fifth wheel to a small A, and looking to understand the difference in costs.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Leaf Piners View Post
How much does it cost to do an oil change? I assume you have to do this at a dealership? We are considering moving from our fifth wheel to a small A, and looking to understand the difference in costs.
I use Midas most of the time. Cost was less than $100 with synthetic oil.

PS Non-Alaskan prices may lower.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Leaf Piners View Post

Costs me under $40.00, but I do it myself at home.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Does the New V8 engine have the same (or more) power and towing capacity as the V10?
The V10 was 320 HP/460 Lbs Of Torque. The new V8 is 350 HP/468 Lbs Of Torque.

In regards to tow capacity, it is the same. 5000 LBS towing capacity.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:

What interests the most for me is whether the chassis upgrades (not the engine) have improved the drivability to a point where you won't need the CHF and suspension/sway bar upgrades.

Any insights?
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #12

Do you happen to have the data on:

Front Axle Weight Capacity
Rear Axle Weight Capacity
GVWR
Combined GVWR (with towed vehicle)

We are seriously looking at the 2021 FR3 33DS at Las Vegas Camping World (we went there yesterday).

Quote:
The V10 was 320 HP/460 Lbs Of Torque. The new V8 is 350 HP/468 Lbs Of Torque.

In regards to tow capacity, it is the same. 5000 LBS towing capacity.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
What interests the most for me is whether the chassis upgrades (not the engine) have improved the drivability to a point where you won't need the CHF and suspension/sway bar upgrades.

Any insights?
That is the biggest difference I noticed when test driving them. We drove a V10 about 40 minutes, brought it back to the plant and jumped into a V8 and the difference in ride was what we noticed the most. Plus you receive a few other upgrades other than the suspension upgrades; please see below.

- Larger Front Stabilizer Bar (FROM 1.5” TO 2”) ROLL STIFFNESS INCREASE OF 215%
- Larger Rear Stabilizer Bar (from 1.38” to 2”) roll stiffness increases of 340%
- Long Travel Jounce Bumpers (better on center response & ride balance
- Front & Rear Leaf Spring Rater Increase
- Retuned Front & Rear Shocks (improves roll damping & wheel strike-through
- New electrical system architecture w/ all new control modules
- Larger Alternator from 175 to 215 amp
- Fleet Telematics Modem – Standard
- New Engine Cover & Updated Drivers Deck Area
- Increased Center of Gravity Height (Driving Behavior Stability in cross winds & Traffic
- Updated Instrument Display Cluster (Super Duty)
- New Steering Wheel w/ Tilt & Telescopic
- Hill Start Assist
- Traction Control
- New Hazard Light Switch
- Auto Head Light Activation
Old 10-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post

Any insights?
Quote:
Do you happen to have the data on:

Front Axle Weight Capacity
Rear Axle Weight Capacity
GVWR
Combined GVWR (with towed vehicle)

We are seriously looking at the 2021 FR3 33DS at Las Vegas Camping World (we went there yesterday).
I will be at LV CW on Thursday this week! Please see the below info you asked for on the 33DS.

33DS : FR3 - Ford Chassis
Wheelbase: 228"
GVWR: 20500 lb.
GCWR: 26000 lb.
GAWR Front: 7500 lb.
GAWR Rear: 13500 lb.
Fuel Capacity: 80 gal.
Exterior Length: 35' 0"
Exterior Height: 12' 5"
Exterior Width: 100"
Fresh Water: 52.00 gal.
Gray Water: 42.00 gal.
Black Water: 42.00 gal.
Awning Size: 19'
Old 10-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #15

Just want to re-confirm from you. The specs below is for the V8 engine models for the 33DS?

Quote:
I will be at LV CW on Thursday this week! Please see the below info you asked for on the 33DS.

33DS : FR3 - Ford Chassis
Wheelbase: 228"
GVWR: 20500 lb.
GCWR: 26000 lb.
GAWR Front: 7500 lb.
GAWR Rear: 13500 lb.
Fuel Capacity: 80 gal.
Exterior Length: 35' 0"
Exterior Height: 12' 5"
Exterior Width: 100"
Fresh Water: 52.00 gal.
Gray Water: 42.00 gal.
Black Water: 42.00 gal.
Awning Size: 19'
Old 10-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Just want to re-confirm from you. The specs below is for the V8 engine models for the 33DS?
Correct, the specs on the model and chassis didn't change. The engine, suspension and upgrades mentioned below were what changed.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #17

Quote:

I love my 2021 33DS. It has the Ford V8 engine.

The floor plan works well for me - lots of storage, closet space, king bed, good kitchen. I really like the small counter top by the bedroom - it’s a perfect vanity with good natural light (planning a wall mount magnifying mirror to go there). The washer/dryer is great - much better than I expected.

I think it’s pretty easy to drive - I just drove on the I80 from Indiana to Utah. One day was quite windy, with some strong gusts - I had to drop my speed to keep better control. And I got slow on the steeper grades - but,heck, it’s not a huge DP with a 650hp engine!

What I think could be improved:
-storage under the dinette should be easier to access - it’s a lot of wasted space
- changing the dinette to a bed and back is awkward, cumbersome. I think telescoping table legs would work better. The table is heavy and hard to get realigned on the pedestal posts
- table between cockpit seats is much too close to drivers seat - even my 4-year old grandson commented that it was “too squeezy “
- if the opening for the tambour door in the kitchen by the stove was taller, I could store my coffee maker and Soda Stream in there - there’s plenty of height inside the cubby; it’s just too hard to access and store taller items.
- cup holders are small and shallow; I added some adapters so my water bottle fit and doesn’t tip over.

Overall, I think it’s a great RV. In a different life I had a 45’ DP with all the bells and whistles. And I like my 33DS even more - because I can drive it, park it and back it into an RV site (FYI - I’m a little old lady).
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #18

i would be real careful with that new ford V8 having some real problems with the spark plug wires not only failing but you can not find them any ware
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
i would be real careful with that new ford V8 having some real problems with the spark plug wires not only failing but you can not find them any ware
In regards to the spark plug wiring; we have the ability to deal with Ford at the manufacturing level and dealer level. This is something I have not heard of on the F53 chassis.

I wanted to put this out there, I'm not sure if you are referring to a different chassis or such. But on a F53, this is something I haven't seen.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #20

Thank you for this feedback. Any idea on which year have the slide recall?

So far, I have to look or investigate on the following before purchasing that 2021 23DS:

1. Slide recall
2. Water Tank Support
3. Possible Spark Plug Wiring Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart38655 View Post
We bought our 2019 33DS last year, and like you bought it because we loved the floorplan. Make sure the slide recall has been done if applicable to your model number. Also check the fresh water tank and make sure it is supported by the frame. You may have to crawl under the rig to confirm this. Ours was sitting in the storage compartment but there was about an 1 1/2 inch space been the cabinet and the frame. We had to add shimns under ours. Without the shimns, when the tank is full, there is not enough support and it will start to stress the cabinet.

Tags
fr3