Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #1

Raising the seatbelt mount?

I’m 6’-1” and at its highest position, the shoulder strap is much lower than it should be. It doesn’t go over my shoulder. It has to be worse for taller people.
Has anyone ever raised up the wall mount or found another workaround to improve the safety of the shoulder strap?
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
D W

Interesting situation. Every shoulder belt mount I have come across is fastened to the B pillar with a special bolt that threads into a integrated welded socket in the pillar. I have no idea how you would relocate it without some serious body work.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #3

you want to die altering a seat belt .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
you want to die altering a seat belt .
Not really. Nor do I want a shoulder strap that doesn’t hold in my shoulder. That’s why I’m asking for ideas as I figure others may have dealt with this issue.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Pictures? I'm your height and occasionally have seatbelts that would be more comfortable if they were higher, but they still work, just at a different angle and I usually loosen them a bit so they don't pull down on my shoulder. Does your seat adjust up/down?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #6

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Pictures? I'm your height and occasionally have seatbelts that would be more comfortable if they were higher, but they still work, just at a different angle and I usually loosen them a bit so they don't pull down on my shoulder. Does your seat adjust up/down?

Don't raise the bridge, lower the water!

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwino View Post
I’m 6’-1” and at its highest position, the shoulder strap is much lower than it should be. It doesn’t go over my shoulder. It has to be worse for taller people.
Has anyone ever raised up the wall mount or found another workaround to improve the safety of the shoulder strap?
I have not raised it. I sit up straight in the seat so I put the seatbelt under my left armpit across my chest. May not be the safest but I can lean forward to see around the windshield pillars and mirrors at intersections also is more comfortable and non restrictive.
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #8

RVwino, I'm right there with you regarding the adjustment of the seat belt so that my shoulder can be secured. The other issue is the belt doesn't completely rewind, leaving part of it hanging. So if someone has any viable suggestion, please share.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #9

AirForce, Same with mine. There are a number of howto’s on the web for adjusting the retraction. I just haven’t looked into them, yet.
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 10-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Interesting situation. Every shoulder belt mount I have come across is fastened to the B pillar with a special bolt that threads into a integrated welded socket in the pillar. I have no idea how you would relocate it without some serious body work.
Welding a nut into the pillar above the original location is about the only solution I can think of. Could a plate be made to bolt into the original position, then extends up enough to make the belt fit over your shoulder? Or the plate would relocate the sliding adjuster mechanism higher? Of course the plate needs to be thick enough to not bend in an accident.

But then will insurance cover any injuries because you modified the original seat belt safety system design? And what fabricator would risk getting sued for doing this work?
Old 10-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
FR3 seats don’t move up or down, only front-to-back. I have the shoulder harness locked into the highest setting possible. Pics will have to wait as the mh is back in storage.
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 10-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiop View Post

But then will insurance cover any injuries because you modified the original seat belt safety system design? And what fabricator would risk getting sued for doing this work?
Good thoughts and great questions! It’s looking more and more like one has to just take the risk with the belt the way it is.
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 10-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #13

Would it help to lower the seat without making it uncomfortable to sit?. The whole unit it easy to remove, four bolts through the floor. Remove the seat part and take the rest to a welding shop and have them shorten the tube. I have given thought to doing that as I have the opposite problem to you, as I am too short.

Can't imagine it being to costly or difficult, I would tackle this job myself when and if I get around to it.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #14

I do not know if this will help

I am the same size as you and I have the problem of the belt digging into my neck because it will not adjust high enough. I bought a clip on ebay that keeps the belt from retracting at whatever spot I place the clip. The belt still protects me but is not rubbing my neck. I do not know if this is your problem but it works for me.
Johnnydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydog View Post
I am the same size as you and I have the problem of the belt digging into my neck because it will not adjust high enough. I bought a clip on ebay that keeps the belt from retracting at whatever spot I place the clip. The belt still protects me but is not rubbing my neck. I do not know if this is your problem but it works for me.

I just retired after 47 years in the HD truck manufacturing world. Please don’t move a seatbelt anchor point or alter a facing forward seat unless you plan on having the new mounts pull tested, which will destroy your MH. The liability is far more reaching than you can ever imagine. Now, before everyone jumps on their keyboards and sends me your wraths about doing whatever you want to do after you buy it and flexing your muscles about how you would overbuild the modification so it couldn’t possibly fail in a serious accident, just take to heart my input and consider whose lives you’re possibly affecting.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #16

Im 6'4" and the shoulder strap dos not fit properly as well. However, Im not interested in any modifications to the mounting. I did order a pair of SEAT BELT CUSHION

https://www.dashdesigns.com/i-265932...twin-pack.html

might help those who find the belt digging in to the body or neck,,
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #17

I lowered both front seats by 3" by replacing the 10" seat pedestals with 7" pedestals for RV Captain's Chair.

I calculated it was cheaper than taking it to a welder & I could undo if it did not work.

My 5'2" wife likes her 3" shorter seat & I don't have to duck my head anymore to see the left side mirror.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I lowered both front seats by 3" by replacing the 10" seat pedestals with 7" pedestals for RV Captain's Chair.
Thank you! I think this is the safest path forward.
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 10-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwino View Post
Thank you! I think this is the safest path forward.
Id be interested on how easy it was for you to change out the seat pedestals.
I have a project where i want to add carpet & Sound/Heat shield along with power for a future motorized seats.

I have not started yet, but would be interested with pictures or video of your removing the seats / pedestal . Ether here or PM
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #20

changing anchor not mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFR3 View Post
I just retired after 47 years in the HD truck manufacturing world. Please don’t move a seatbelt anchor point or alter a facing forward seat unless you plan on having the new mounts pull tested, which will destroy your MH. The liability is far more reaching than you can ever imagine. Now, before everyone jumps on their keyboards and sends me your wraths about doing whatever you want to do after you buy it and flexing your muscles about how you would overbuild the modification so it couldn’t possibly fail in a serious accident, just take to heart my input and consider whose lives you’re possibly affecting.
I did not mention changing any mounts or anchors. It is just a movable clip (https://www.amazon.com/Adjuster-Seat.../dp/B07WTNB76D) that fits across the belt to keep it from retracting all the way.
Johnnydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount