Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #1

Rear Axle Installed Wrong

Since the day I owned my FR3 the steering wheel has been off center. I had it aligned and the alignment shop said afterwards they couldn't adjust the steering wheel. I noticed that the one of the tires appeared to be wearing so I took it to Andy Mohr Truck center. They found the problem and are unable to fix. They claim when Forest River received the chassis, they pulled the rear axel off to install the coach. When they went to reinstall the rear axel, they didn't put it on straight. As a result, they are telling me I need to have the axel taken off and installed correctly. They are telling me they cannot do it and that I will need to take it back to Forest River. Obviously, since mine is a 2015 and off warranty it sounds like I'm going to be eating the cost even though this has obviously been a problem since the day I drove it off the lot (it just took multiple tries before someone could diagnose the issue). Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? I have no idea what it will cost and wondering if I should just deal with it as is and burn through tires faster than necessary (it might be cheaper).
elw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd contact the FR3 division and present them all the information you've gotten and see what they say. They may offer to help if you're cordial about it.

I'm kinda suspect that they would have removed the rear axle to install the coach. I was under the impression that they built the coach onto the received chassis.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

I’d look for a different alignment shop.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #4

The rear axle bolts on with very, very little adjustment. If is to crooked you would have one hell of a vibration from the drive shaft.It would also have a strong pull to one side. You mentioned you had tire wear? Front or rear. I would contact Forest River and have them start a case file and ask them who you should take it to. As far as I am aware FR builds the coach on the frame , at most all they would remove would be the tires. I am finding that a lot of Dealers and repair shops just don't have the knowledge, equipment or don't want to take the effort to solve issues. Reminds me of several issues I had with Camping World, they also will tell you anything if its something they don't want to fix. One thing you have in your favor, you are in the state where it was built.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

If the rear axle is out of alignment you would have what is known as "Dog Tracking" or "Crabbing". Have someone follow your FR3 and if they see one side as your going straight down the road then you have a problem. If you google "truck crabbing" or "truck dog-tracking" you will find enough to keep you reading for a week. There are several causes for the problem.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/weir...d-help/28662/5

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle1367167/
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Straighten Me Out

The steering wheel of most every vehicle on the road is centered by adjusting the “Tie Rod Ends” when doing a front-end alignment. Understanding steering geometry, it makes absolutely no difference how a steering wheel is clocked. Steering wheel timing has nothing to do with vehicle tracking. If the truck is driving sideways down the road and the rear axle is fubar, it will need to be straightened out.

I have no clue how Forest River builds their coaches. Mine, a class C, appears to have been built off the chassis and then set on once complete and welded in place. In my opinion, I would assume Ford incorrectly assembled the chassis, not Forest River. How would the shop know Forest River removed the axle to install the coach section?
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

If you do a factory tour, they are built on the chassis. Ford or GM or Dodge do not lengthen the frames. They are done by an outside vender according to factory specs. Adjusting the steering wheel is just a matter of adjusting tie rod ends. If it does not track straight due to read end alignment, then you need a shop that can do it. That would be a four wheel alignment.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

If you have the rear axle out of alignment then the steering wheel will be off when going straight down the road to allow for the dog-tracking.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

No kidding!
Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

OP imprecise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you have the rear axle out of alignment then the steering wheel will be off when going straight down the road to allow for the dog-tracking.
I'm wondering whether the OP meant to say that the vehicle pulls to one side or the other and he has to hold the wheel off-center to correct (which it could do if the axle were cocked) when he said the steering wheel wasn't centered.

Those of us more familiar with common usage would assume from his phrasing that it's a matter of tie-rod adjustment when he really meant something different.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #11

FYI:Camping Worst installed both of my axles backwards.
flhtci2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

Update

I picked my coach up yesterday from Andy Mohr Truck Center in Indianapolis yesterday. They charged me $350 to do absolutely nothing. I asked the service guy if any changes were made to my unit and he said no. In essence, they charged me "diagnosis" time. Based upon the responses to this point, I believe the diagnosis is wrong. I'm going to reach out to Forest River this week and see if they have any suggestions. Thank you all for your comments.
elw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #13

My Georgetown was aligned by my local truck repair center at the recommendation of my FORD truck repair center. After alignment, and castor change, the steering wheel was off by 5 degrees so I paid to have it reset. Total cost was $150.00.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #14

Tie rods ends have nothing to do with steering wheel being centered. The rod ends are adjusted to obtain correct toe in specs. Over the road trucks have toe set to 1/8" toe in to get correct tire wear. To get the steering wheel centered as it is called, the steer wheel must be removed and centered.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #15

Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Tie rods ends have nothing to do with steering wheel being centered. The rod ends are adjusted to obtain correct toe in specs. Over the road trucks have toe set to 1/8" toe in to get correct tire wear. To get the steering wheel centered as it is called, the steer wheel must be removed and centered.
Not necessarily. On either rack-and-pinion units or worm-and-sector units, small amounts of correction can be made by adjusting the tie-rod lengths by shortening one and lengthening the other by the same amount. This leaves the toe-in exactly the same, but sets the steering wheel in the 12 o'clock position when the wheels are straight.
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #16

X2!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #17

OK, sorry, I was thinking old school. Forgot about the R&P steer systems.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #18

Even old school is the same. That's why they point the steering wheel straight and lock it down there ten adjust from there. Fine tuning then, its free to turn. Do it all the time.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #19

take a tape and measure the distance between the back of your front tire and the front of your back tire. Should be the same on both sides.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #20

X2! How I do my coup!

Tags
axle, led