Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

Remove Wheel Covers on 2020 FR3

It doesn't appear that the 2020 FR3 30DS has wheel covers. If it does, how do you get it off? It's in the way of getting a valve extension on the front facing rear tire.
Lfresin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

My 2019 FR3 has a special tool to remove the lug nut covers. This allows you to remove the wheel covers. I haven't tried it but the dealer showed us the tool during the PDI.
mtnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfresin1 View Post
It doesn't appear that the 2020 FR3 30DS has wheel covers. If it does, how do you get it off? It's in the way of getting a valve extension on the front facing rear tire.
Two things.....

Look VERY CAREFULLY, and you’ll see three of the wheel nut lugs have markings on them that differ them from the decorative ones. These three are the real lugs to secure the wheel cover to the actual rim. You may even have a special tool to attach to the caps.

What is a front facing rear tire?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Did you find a tool like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD9ABADB-D485-4D22-99A6-5B9C74C6988D.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	214099  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Two things.....

Look VERY CAREFULLY, and you’ll see three of the wheel nut lugs have markings on them that differ them from the decorative ones. These three are the real lugs to secure the wheel cover to the actual rim. You may even have a special tool to attach to the caps.

Dual tires on the rear; one behind the other. So, the front facing one is the outside tire.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Two things.....

My lugs were to tight to remove with the 'special' tool. I had to use a 1/2" socket wrench to get it loose. But I did use the 'special' tool to put the lugs back on.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:05 AM   #7

Quote:
You will have by now learned about the special tool and the three lug nuts. Suggest you buy a socket of the right size and a flex bar because the special tool is not strong enough to remove the lug nuts and probably does not offer enough leverage in any case.

You may have to remove the wheel covers to occasionally check lug nut torque and check air pressure etc. If you go to a tire dealership make sure the person doing the job knows how to remove the wheel cover properly.

I watched a young tire repair guy checking the torque on my unit scratch his head for a minute or so before I intervened and showed him how the cover is removed. He admittedly did not know.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Front facing tire. Usually referred to as inside or outside rear dual, left side or right side.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #9

I'm still baffled as to how the wheel cover comes off these rear tires. There aren't 3 special lugnuts, they're all the same. Do you use the handle on the special tool to remove the wheel cover?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm still baffled as to how the wheel cover comes off these rear tires. There aren't 3 special lugnuts, they're all the same. Do you use the handle on the special tool to remove the wheel cover?
Take a real close look. You should see that 3 are a little different. Look real close at the base of the lug nut cover. Put the socket over the nut and what you see should be different on three of the lug nuts.

Hope this helps, maybe yours are a different breed?

No, don't use the handle, actually you should get a socket of the right size 1- 3/16" don't try and use that tool they gave you as it will probably just break. I know on mine the 1-3/16 socket will not fit on the other 7 out of the ten hub cap lug nuts.

Might be a good idea to go to a tire shop or take a picture of wheel to them, better yet take a close up picture and put it on this post. If you figure it out let us know.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #11

Lfresin1,
When people tell you to "look carefully" at the lug nuts, they mean that you should be able to detect that most of them are fake, and are actually part of the wheel cover. You should be able to see that 3 of them are real lug nuts that can be removed (with great difficulty).
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

Electric Impact wrench....no problem.

But do be careful and only use on the real lug nuts not the fakes that are part of the wheel cover.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #13

Two of the lug nuts had lines on them and no flange around them. Used the wrench that came with the RV and used a plastic bag to cover the lug nut. With a little careful pressure, it loosened and I could remove them by hand. The wheel cover comes right off. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Two of the lug nuts had lines on them and no flange around them. Used the wrench that came with the RV and used a plastic bag to cover the lug nut. With a little careful pressure, it loosened and I could remove them by hand. The wheel cover comes right off. Thanks for all your help.
Glad to hear you got it solved. Only two lug nuts?, usually three. Must have changed the design. If you ever need to have a tire changed make sure the person doing it knows how to remove wheel cover.

Thanks for posting back.

Tags
cover, fr3, wheel