Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Replacing refrigerator in an FR3?

I have a fr3 30 D's I find the fridge so so small. Has anyone replaced it... ? If so what did you get.. can someone measure that opening for me.... Mine is 2000 kms away
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I have a fr3 30 D's I find the fridge so so small. Has anyone replaced it... ? If so what did you get.. can someone measure that opening for me.... Mine is 2000 kms away
Not sure what year 30 DS you have, mine is 2014. My 30DS fridge is roughly 24x52
There is no room below as the heater is below and there is little room above. If u could find a fridge model three inches talled perhaps, but is that going to make a measurable difference to inside storage? Id say no...

If internal fridge space was an issue you may have selected the wrong model FR3 or year where options were offered. Most these floor plans dont allow for increasing the size of outside footprint of the factory installed devices. The newer 29Ds offers an optional 18 cf fridge that removes the pantry. The 2017 30DS offers the same. If you have one of those with a pantry to the left you can upgrade!

Fridge type is one of those consideration choices you make when selecting your model.
Lately the lower end MH market that formerly offered only dual ac /propane models have offered floor plans that allow larger residential side by side or frezer below units.

There are pros and cons of both. While not plugged in to street power, the residential models run on a dedicated inverter that converts 12v to AC. While the coach is running, the chassis alternator charges the batteries and keeps the inverter happy, but once you stop, the inverter pulls from the motorhome batteries to keep the fridge going. Without solar this would require you to run the generator more often. Full time boondockers may find this challenging.

My smaller propane and AC only model suits our (two adults no kids) needs because it runs on propane while I'm driving and while stopped overnight and does not drain my batteries. We shop as we go for food. We travel about 4 full weeks a year and a few weekend local trips. In three years have only filled the propane tank 2 times...

So rv fridge size /type selection is a factor of family size, and travel style. Depending on your ferequency of travel and how badly your wife complains about it, I would first buy a nice large cooler to augment the fridge space.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #3

Technorick. Thank you for the words...But I was looking for someone that has replaced it.... Obviously I know it is a choice you make when you select your model.... And I know how big my family is ...
Old 03-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

I'm sorry I responded even though i hadn't replaced my fridge. If I thought u only wanted responses from someone who had already done so I would have not responded at all. Often when I answer these posts I try to appeal to a wider perhaps less experienced audience, with some tips and considerations that might be obvious to a veteran, but in a helpful tone.

That said, The January 2017 issue of MOTORHOME magazine has an article about a new Dometic super hybrid refer. The new model retains the width of a standard RV ice box but is taller and switches from AC to propane to DC and has a freezer drawer under.

The article does not mention the new fridge height but I suspect (in a standard floor plan 30DS) one would have to totally eliminate the blank space from fridge top to the ceiling for it to fit.

Space- as u know is the factor. And possibly why no one else has responded to your original request.

PS: I'm happy to hear you know how large your family is. 😊
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Lol
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

Technorick......keep bringing it👍
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, refrigerator