Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Which Insure are you using like extended warranty or motor home ?

I have Progressive. They are the one that USAA refers us to for motorcycles and RVs.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #22

Roof

Ya we have Progressive too plus Good SAM Extended warranty. Let me Know how you make out.

Good luck
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
Ya we have Progressive too plus Good SAM Extended warranty. Let me Know how you make out.

Good luck

Thanks!

Wilco!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunny View Post
Here I am on the road in Amarillo TX. My roof decided to self inflate from the front of the rubber liner back to the king jack antenna.

I last checked my roof yesterday before leaving Colorado.

My rig is a 2016 30ds. Warranty expired. 2 days of hard driving to get home.

I know it could suck more but, damn....
I lucked out and found the roof rippling the month before my warrant ran out (which because of earlier issues, was extended by 3 months, so really i was outside the normal warranty).

I can't find the invoice they gave me for the work, but when I did the math it was around $4k to get the roof redone by the dealer had I not got it done under warranty. The membrane is actually the cheapest part. The labor was the most expensive part since you need to remove everything off the roof. Vents, skylights, trim, etc.

I'm guessing that they inflate the numbers for warranty work, but it took several days for them to do it once completed. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #25

I have a 2014 FR3 DS 30. Each year I inspect the sealant on my roof and re apply DICOR self leveling sealant to areas where the factory sealant has cracked or shrunk. this is overkill as there has of yet never been an issue.
I’ve fever found a rip tear or leak anywhere. My main focus are has been where the front cap meats the roof.

This week however I discovered a ripple under the sealed roof material to the right of the ladder mounts. The seal around the ladder tops are perfectly sealed.

This feels like delaminated plywood separating under the roof material. Or like craft paper has gotten wet and dried. It crinkles like thin wood is delaminating under the roof membrane.
I am totally perplexed as to how this happened. If the wooden roof is kept free of water, all I can think that would cause this is :

- a-manufacturer defect in the wood...
- moisture inside the bedroom possibly collects on the inside cavity between the roof wood bottom and the false ceiling in the bedroom. But moisture doesn’t rise!
- an undetected roof leak by the ladder mounts. But the pitch roll off in the roof at that point is so steep I can’t imagine that.

The rest of the roof is solid. I keep the bedroom vent open while parked so I don’t suspect internal moisture or understand how this could happen. This is eventually going to require I peel up the membrane, and cut out the bad wood and somehow re seal the roof.

Anybody else find this issue? I spend slot of time on preventative maintenance on this coach. It pisses me off that such a serious problem as a faulty roof plywood panel under a perfectly sealed vinyl membrane can wrinkle and delaminate on a four year old motorhome.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #26

How to Repair hole in Fiberglass Roof?

Does anyone know the recommended repair for a hole in the FR3 fiberglass roof? I got a 4 inch tear and thinking about filling void with non-expanding spray foam and apply fiberglass tape?

Fiberglass roof is super thin, any ideas?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatesMotel2 View Post
Does anyone know the recommended repair for a hole in the FR3 fiberglass roof? I got a 4 inch tear and thinking about filling void with non-expanding spray foam and apply fiberglass tape?

Fiberglass roof is super thin, any ideas?

That sucks!

I would look at getting a fiberglass repair kit from a hardware or auto parts store. Think battle damage repair on A/C.

(a tear shoud be covered by your insurance, easily)

Also, that eternabond tape aint no joke.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #28

Fiberglass Tape or Patch?

I had a friend who does fiberglass repair look at it and he said the fiberglass is too thin for a fiberglass patch because it is near the rolled edge so there is about a one inch void under the tear, no way to get behind it. You can see the aluminum membrane underneath and it is not damaged.

Is this the same as the Eternabond tape?

https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-d...yABEgKi-PD_BwE
Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #29

Quote:
I had a friend who does fiberglass repair look at it and he said the fiberglass is too thin for a fiberglass patch because it is near the rolled edge so there is about a one inch void under the tear, no way to get behind it. You can see the aluminum membrane underneath and it is not damaged.

Is this the same as the Eternabond tape?

https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-d...yABEgKi-PD_BwE

It may be. This is what we used, to get us home.

I bought the 4" wide.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EternaBon...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #30

Fiberglass Roof Patch

Thanks OldGunny. Since the tear is on the rolled edge where the fiberglass roof it is not attached to the roof or the side wall, I am going to fill the 1 inch void with non-expanding spray foam and then apply the Eternabond tape. I am also going to apply WD-40 to the metal membrane inside the hole so the spray foam only attaches to the fiberglass which should allow the tape and foam to flex with the roof as designed, make sense?

Fingers crossed!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Thanks OldGunny. Since the tear is on the rolled edge where the fiberglass roof it is not attached to the roof or the side wall, I am going to fill the 1 inch void with non-expanding spray foam and then apply the Eternabond tape. I am also going to apply WD-40 to the metal membrane inside the hole so the spray foam only attaches to the fiberglass which should allow the tape and foam to flex with the roof as designed, make sense?

Fingers crossed!

Yepper!

Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #32

My roof is repaired. FINALLY!

The dealership that did the work, per forest river's instructions, said there was very little adhesive under the forward section of the roof.

The roofing material was rolled back almost to the A/C unit, re-glued and re-attached. It looks fine.

This repair was done at no cost to me (yes, I would have preferred a new roof, but seeing how the price was right.....).
Old 07-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #33

great!

FR does the right thing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #34

Forest River is warranting my roof also. My problem is the dealer here keeps getting the wrong color or the wrong type. I think they finally got it together, after 3 weeks, and they should start the repairs soon. FR is replacing the entire roof. May also involve the wood too. If the radio antenna is a problem I may also have them not reinstall it. Has anyone used a different type of antenna?
2017fr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017fr3 View Post
Forest River is warranting my roof also. My problem is the dealer here keeps getting the wrong color or the wrong type. I think they finally got it together, after 3 weeks, and they should start the repairs soon. FR is replacing the entire roof. May also involve the wood too. If the radio antenna is a problem I may also have them not reinstall it. Has anyone used a different type of antenna?

I was wondering about different types of antenna as well. For now, I am going to leave it uninstalled. When I do reattach it, it will be laid back with some eternabond tape to bounce around on.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #36

Roof Problem

We have a 2016 Prime Time Lacrosse 330RST and I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed after we traveled almost 100 miles (I was pulling our boat, husband was pulling our rig) that our roof was a big bubble!! My husband had just checked the roof in the spring which was fine and this was only our 2nd time out since, he contacted the dealership and service didn't even want to call PT/FR because he didn't feel it was a warranty issue and that it just happens! Anyone else get this taken care of under warranty?
suzannek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #37

Roof balloon

Sometimes it’s up to us to call fr. They have a bulletin out for roof repair. It might have an extended warranty for yours. My motor home was covered under warranty.
2017fr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #38

I have found that sometimes (just sometimes) it is best to contact FR ourselves. I have found that some dealers (not all, there are some good ones) Want to sell the rig and then wash there hands with excuses of why it is not a problem or a warranty issue and then take forever to fix it. So in short "call FR" if not dealer satisfied. then we need to report to BBB.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannek View Post
We have a 2016 Prime Time Lacrosse 330RST and I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed after we traveled almost 100 miles (I was pulling our boat, husband was pulling our rig) that our roof was a big bubble!! My husband had just checked the roof in the spring which was fine and this was only our 2nd time out since, he contacted the dealership and service didn't even want to call PT/FR because he didn't feel it was a warranty issue and that it just happens! Anyone else get this taken care of under warranty?

FR covered mine 100%. It was a repair, not a replacement though. Get in contact with the FR people!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #40

I had this happen first time at 7,000 miles last November and got it replaced, covered by FR. But just happened again less than a year later! This is not supposed to happen! Soured my view of FR products!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0007EB2-F2F5-4E6A-9215-7273AA94EB0B.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	183638   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D8C3A7A-FDED-460A-98C6-A976F08E66D5.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	183639  
SaintsAngels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags