Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #1

Roof Issue 3000 Miles from Home

Hi folks,

Think I'm having the same issues described here, although haven't seen a shadow with a bubble when I'm driving. Every time I've taken the FR3 (it's a 2017 32DS) in for service I've asked them to check on the wrinkles, and every time I've been assured that some wrinkling is normal.

We're now in California (from NH) for the next month. In SLC, I went up on the roof to check things out and saw the Dicor cracked around the TV antenna and the plywood underneath. Added more Dicore, and the roof was quiet for some of the ride to CA. Later it started getting louder and once we arrived in CA I went up and the new Dicore I added was cracked around the TV antenna.

Assume I need a new roof, or a repair, but would like to patch things up enough to get back to NH in August as every service place we talk to here in CA says they are backed up to December. Any advice for what I can do to make it home with minimal additional damage? I saw something about removing the radio antenna (which seems loose) - is that just removing the phillips head screw from the base, and leaving the base up there? Or can more come out?

Appreciate any advice - having many sleepless nights worried about our MH getting ruined.

Pic of how things look:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrinkle.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	275766  
NH FR3 Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Team

I added your pic to the first post for you, then deleted the link as the sites spam filters were flagging it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #3

If you’re just looking to reseal the area around the antenna eternabond would probably be your best bet and you should be able to find it at Home Depot, Lowes or any RV supply retailer. It’s very sticky, very strong and waterproof https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eternabo...s&locale=en-US
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #4

Will using Eternabond tape create problems for repairing the roof when we get back (if repair is posslble)?
Old 07-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #5

Roof

Is that a fiberglass roof like the rest of our class a's? It looks like a rubber membrane type roof with all those wrinkles. There is a lot of de lamentation going on there
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #6

Have you checked the antenna to see if it's securely attached to the roof? It sounds like the antenna is causing the noise and cracking in the Dicor. Screws that anchor the antenna to the roof might have worked their way loose and caused vibration as you drive down the road. As much as the wrinkling is disturbing, that might not be your main problem.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Is that a fiberglass roof like the rest of our class a's? It looks like a rubber membrane type roof with all those wrinkles. There is a lot of de lamentation going on there

I believe FR switched from the rubber to fiberglass roofs for the FR3 sometime in 2017, perhaps due to issues like this. This is definitely rubber.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Have you checked the antenna to see if it's securely attached to the roof? It sounds like the antenna is causing the noise and cracking in the Dicor. Screws that anchor the antenna to the roof might have worked their way loose and caused vibration as you drive down the road. As much as the wrinkling is disturbing, that might not be your main problem.

Are you talking about the radio antenna or the TV antenna? Assume the screws for the TV antenna are inside, and for the radio antenna, they're under the Dicor outside?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH FR3 Crew View Post
Will using Eternabond tape create problems for repairing the roof when we get back (if repair is posslble)?

Not sure why that would be and by the looks of it, you’re in need of at least a new roof membrane so I wouldn’t worry about using it.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 07-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Are you talking about the radio antenna or the TV antenna? Assume the screws for the TV antenna are inside, and for the radio antenna, they're under the Dicor outside?
I'm talking about the antenna that you've shown in your picture. It's a tv antenna on ours (and we keep the arrow portion pointed forward for aerodynamics.). I have no idea how it's attached, but my guess would be that there are screws under that tape to secure it to the roof.
I don't think Dicor is going to be a problem to seal it, but if the antenna is not properly attached, it could come loose and fly off the rig when you're traveling. It is a bit like a batwing.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi folks,

Think I'm having the same issues described here, although haven't seen a shadow with a bubble when I'm driving. Every time I've taken the FR3 (it's a 2017 32DS) in for service I've asked them to check on the wrinkles, and every time I've been assured that some wrinkling is normal.

We're now in California (from NH) for the next month. In SLC, I went up on the roof to check things out and saw the Dicor cracked around the TV antenna and the plywood underneath. Added more Dicore, and the roof was quiet for some of the ride to CA. Later it started getting louder and once we arrived in CA I went up and the new Dicore I added was cracked around the TV antenna.

Assume I need a new roof, or a repair, but would like to patch things up enough to get back to NH in August as every service place we talk to here in CA says they are backed up to December. Any advice for what I can do to make it home with minimal additional damage? I saw something about removing the radio antenna (which seems loose) - is that just removing the phillips head screw from the base, and leaving the base up there? Or can more come out?

Appreciate any advice - having many sleepless nights worried about our MH getting ruined.

Pic of how things look:
That roof is not normal, wrinkles like that are not normal ,your roof is bellowing up when driving , even if it isn't this is not good and needs attention asap.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
That roof is not normal, wrinkles like that are not normal ,your roof is bellowing up when driving , even if it isn't this is not good and needs attention asap.
No argument from me. He needs to seal up as much as he can to try to get it home. (Might be a good idea to schedule an appointment now for when he gets home.)
I guess my concern is what is causing that Dicor to crack. The antennas moving around would be my guess. We keep an eye on our batwing antenna and always keep the arrow forward.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #13

Well if the antennas are not secured correctly to the roof either secure them correctly or take them off the roof entirely and then seal opening with Eternabond.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 07-01-2022, 11:12 PM   #14

My theory about the Dicor cracking around the TV antenna (it’s primarily around the front and sides of the antenna) is from the membrane flapping around and pulling the Dicor apart.

We’ll be calling the extended warranty people tomorrow (wish me luck) and Forest River Tuesday to discuss - both ways it's not getting fixed until we get back to NH. I’ll tape the crap out of it after I talk to them- want to make sure any temporary fixes I do don’t give them a reason to not fix this.

For the tape, thinking a bunch around the radio and tv antennas, some along the front cap seam and maybe some strips edge to edge to keep any billowing localized. Sound about right?
Old 07-01-2022, 11:30 PM   #15

You're probably right. I'm sure they'll let you know when they fix it.
You probably should get directions from FR as to where to tape it.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #16

I was parked next to a gentleman last year whose roof had ballooned up about 600 miles from home. Since it was going to need replaced, he went to Home Depot and got some 1x4s and screwed them down every couple feet going across the roof to keep it from ballooning up so much. Ask FR and extended warranty if that is allowed. They might even reimburse for the temporary repair.
lescarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:24 PM   #17

Not to hijack this thread, but could something happen to newer roofs (2021 model year and newer)?
Old 07-02-2022, 11:54 PM   #18

Yup, looks like you got a problem. Recommend giving Cold Springs a call to see if you can schedule in with them for when you get home. We used them several years ago before they got their new building and they were wonderful in working with the insurance/warranty. Did a great job. https://www.coldspringsrv.com/
603-529-2222
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but could something happen to newer roofs (2021 model year and newer)?
The short answer is yes .something could happen which is why it's a good idea to inspect roof regularly .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #20

Welcome to the wonderful world of single ply roofs and boo boo and his buddies who cannot read the instructions installing it.

Calk is soft and pliable. But, good for leaks but, very weakin tension. Tears easily.

The Bernoulli effect the roof. Just like an airplane. The roof is trying to lift the rv. Since it is not glued down!

Adding tape will reinforce the tears or holes in the roof. Use plenty.

The ballooning will continue, likely getting worse before you get home!

Adding Battans screwed to the roof will help but, pretty much destroy the roof membrane. Roofs seldom leak, it’s the joints made by mechanics.

Call the warranty folks and repair place and ask.

Replacing a roof like this is expensive. I doubt the warranty folks will be cooperative.

Early roofs like this used a bunch of loose gravel on top to hold it down, your issue. That being heavy they used the minimum. Forgetting that the executive parking lot is always close to the building, and god has a sense of humor. First storm and the rock gets moved to the parking lot.

Then they continuously glued the rubber to the roof deck. As the rubber is weak in tension, it would tear. What you have to prepare for. Sort of negated the advantage of the rubber.

Then they tried using discs screwed thru the membrane to hold it down. Strips f glue. Experimenting on your roof!

Now the rv folks like fiberglass roofs.

“A spiderweb” of bunji cords maybe. Battans? Discs screwed down?

Ask the folks who will do the repair.

There are few folks in the roofing world to talk to. Mostly just salesmen.

I have been retired for 20 years. My plant had a million sq ft of roofs so they paid me to know something. I have been trying not to care since then.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof