Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #21

so this thread inspired me on a quest. to find the right bolt.

first size. Metric: 8M x 1.25 threads. length is 25mm. i could not find a 30mm length bolt, only had 35mm. i think 30mm is the right one.

and the head size was close but just a little larger. i won't get the RV for another two weeks so i can't verify what i got will work.

I found the above at Lowes...but there are probably better places out there!

best of luck.

b
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	132430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	132431  
bamagrad1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #22

I've always found my local Ace Hardware to have a great selection of type of fasteners. You might try there too if you have one. At Ace you can buy al-a-carte and not have to buy 6 bolts when you need 2, for instance.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

i would be careful using red loctite, these bolts may need to be adjusted if the door frame gets out of square/alignment by excess wind while opening, etc. if i'm not mistaken, i read on this forum that these can be one culprit to locking you in or out of the rv (backed out too much caused issues).
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcoal View Post
i would be careful using red loctite, these bolts may need to be adjusted if the door frame gets out of square/alignment by excess wind while opening, etc. if i'm not mistaken, i read on this forum that these can be one culprit to locking you in or out of the rv (backed out too much caused issues).
darn if you do -- darn if you don't. bad if they work their way out -- bad if they are locked in place and the baseplate gets knarled up. seeing how they are not supposed to move, i will probably go the red-loctite route. measure three times. apply the red stuff once. i will be having to back out my original bolts to make the space work, so they will already be inherently loose. i don't like loose in a bouncy RV. may go with blue -- but probably the red stuff.

best of luck all and be safe!!

b
bamagrad1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #25

make sure it's Crimson Red.....RTR!
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #26
edm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I had the same problem with mine. Company told me to get an Allen wrench and back them out a little ways. I did so but I also applied some Loctite to them when I put them back in. Has worked like a charm ever since.
Why would the company not furnish the right bolts? It seems to me as much as they charge for these latches they would try to make it right.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
Why would the company not furnish the right bolts? It seems to me as much as they charge for these latches they would try to make it right.
I agree edm. I told them about the problem with the bolts, and that there are no instructions in the box or the website and this was their reply. ""Hi Jim, brand new handle, still trying to work out the kinks.Thank you for your patience,*the screws are designed such that you can extend them out a bit and/or bring your jamb plate closer to the door. *Hope that helps".
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #28
edm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarterhb1951 View Post
I agree edm. I told them about the problem with the bolts, and that there are no instructions in the box or the website and this was their reply. ""Hi Jim, brand new handle, still trying to work out the kinks.Thank you for your patience,*the screws are designed such that you can extend them out a bit and/or bring your jamb plate closer to the door. *Hope that helps".
Thanks Jim, that is a company I won't be buying from until they change there attitude.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, lock