Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
I am sure I could do it, and you can too I am sure of it, just can't crawl around underneath anymore, that is what sucks
and thanks for you service to our country!!!!

yes, I know what you mean about crawling around underneath, I am big guy, 6'2", 285lbs, barely fit.... if I can bust that 1 1/8 nut, then good to go, it is a chore, I am more techie than mechie, but I get a certain level of pride knowing I can still do stuff like this @ 59 yo, I also plan on changing the oil when needed, I did that on all cars when younger . Being retired means gotta squeeze nickels together, I am a tightwad..... unless it is for Wife
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Retired guy

Well, we finally made it out on our maiden voyage with the CHF and Safe T Stabilizer installed. Encountered some heavy winds and noticed a significant improvement in handling. Well worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #23

not a sales rep or have any financial interest in company, I watched this and ordered ASAP

US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #24

Had the stabilizer installed by Camping World and found out after it was installed that they didn't have the ability to align it. It is more stable but definitely needs alignment.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #25

They just did not want to align it.. See the video on the web site and see how easy it is.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #26
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
They just did not want to align it.. See the video on the web site and see how easy it is.

Which video are you referring to? And why wouldn't they want to align it? We recently had Safety plus installed and the dealer said they thought the wheels were out of balance - in their opinion more of an issue than our request to have them install a stabilizer. Their words were, “We took it out and drove it and we believe the wheels are out of balance more than you need a stabilizer, do you still want us to do the stabilizer, we don't do the balancing". They said they did not balance tires and we'd have to go to a Ford dealer or a truck stop. The FR3 does blow all over the road.. I had a fit bit on and it thought I climbed 1, 500 steps because I was working the steering wheel back and forth keeping her steady.

Why would the shop "not want to align" or balance tires if they could do that work? What's the low down on wheels, tires, and alignment of the chassis?

Grotto
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #27

Question? Did the FR3 drive straight before SFT+ was installed? If yes then when the SFT+ was installed the last step is to adjust it to the point of the vehicle drives straight. It is a simple process,but takes time, drive adjust and drive until it is right. This time is money and the installer can make more money elsewhere doing quick repairs. If no, wheel alignment should have been done before the install.

Go to the SFT+ web sight and they explain the process. Even if you do not do the work, knowledge is key to understanding.

Balance can happen after alignment and install.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #28

Alignment is the mechanical process of making sure the wheels track straight to each other. Caster and Camber are the technical names. These affect stability going down the road. On a flat road, no wind the RV should track straight if you take your hands off the wheel for 100 to 200 yards. The natural tendency should never the vehicle drift left into on coming traffic.

Correct caster and camber also assure even tire wear as not set correctly the tires fight each other and wear at a high rate.

Balancing is the process of adding weight to offset imperfections in the wheel and tire. Steering wheel shaking is usually front tires and if you feel it in your seat rear wheels.

Had mine balanced on a electronic balancer and the difference was amazing. Cost was 132.50.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #29

The FR3 has a pretty significant case of RV drift and I brought it back to the dealer. They sent it out for a balance and an alignment. After the alignment, it still had a drift issue, which the Safe-T-Plus claims to resolve, so I got the st+. With the st+ the FR3 doesn't get pushed as easily, but was still drifting (mostly to the right). I brought it back and now it drifts mostly to the left. They really don't know what they're doing at Camping World. I'm disabled so getting under and doing anything myself is difficult, if not impossible. Trying to find someone local to do the work is proving difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #30
Motoring

When they do the alignment, does the stabilizer have to come off?

Thanks for great explanations!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

They took mine off to do the alignment and then reset it.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #32

@Photomaster, did they install some caster shims when they did your alignment? Seems like it helped quite a bit in keeping it tracking straight. Had 2 degree shim installed on the left, and 2.5 degree in the right. About $40 for the shims. First time I took it in, they didn't do anything with the caster. This time, I insisted they get the caster above 6 degrees to help it track straight and not wander.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #33

No they did not. My total toe in was so far off it was ridiculous. Blew through my first set of front Goodyears. Had them replaced with Michelin motor home tires. I installed Koni's front and back. Coach drives, steers and rides so very nice now.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
No they did not. My total toe in was so far off it was ridiculous. Blew through my first set of front Goodyears. Had them replaced with Michelin motor home tires. I installed Koni's front and back. Coach drives, steers and rides so very nice now.

Do you happen know the size or part number for the koni's?
patanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #35

For 2014 f53 chassis: Koni FSD front shocks 8805-1018, rear 8805-1019. Bought mine from Shockwarehouse.com. Best price and free shipping.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #36

Thank you!
patanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #37

Your very welcome.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #38
Motoring

Picked up FR3 Yesterday with new safety plus installed. amazing difference. i can drive with one hand now. heck, I can drive with just three fingers on the wheel. should be standard for the coach

a little pull to the right though. just need to make a slight adjustment
Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #39

I'm not sure if they have to take it off or not.