Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
2018 FR3 30DS

Satellite usage in FR3 30DS

We bought a 2018 30DS in June. When trying to use our satellite through the connector in the area where the shore power connecting wire is located, we were unsuccessful and have since read on this forum that it won't work.
What I am considering is this and I've never heard of it before in a motorhome. I have Directv and have been using a Qube receiver for years. If I replace it with a regular HD satellite dish, run the cable from the dish to the second bay area on passenger side (directly under the outside tv where there is an electrical outlet), put a tv router there and then put a wireless genie receiver to each tv I want to use. Will this work?
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

I don't have the same RV you have but I do have Directv. I got a portable HD dish and just take my Genie and a couple of my wireless receivers from home and it works great. Takes a while to get a good signal but I eventually get it.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

I think you re saying put the direct tv receiver and video bridge in a storage compartment and put mini genies inside on the TV's. I can think of no reason why this wouldn't work. you only need power to the receiver. it does not have to be actively used. the mini genies communicate with it through the wireless bridge and this seems to be a pretty robust communications link. we have our receiver downstairs in a basement and it communicates just fine with a mini genie upstairs about 50 feet away. the only thing that might cause a problem would be getting the signals through metal walls, but you have the ability to relocate the video bridge away from the receiver via the coax.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #4

Satellite usage in FR3 30DS

The connector in that bin is not intended to be used for a sat connection. It's a cable in only connector. It runs thru a splitter to the antenna booster ( that must be off while connected to camp ground cable ).

Unless they changed it, FR3 does not come with a sat ready input. You must install a direct wire from your sat antenna to your sat box.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Only concern about being in the storage bay is the heat. I just ran a second cable in line for the Dish receiver. They get quite warm and have no active cooling in the units.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1503171390.783227.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	148740under cabinet install. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1503171434.485555.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	148741and inside cabinet. With fan installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1503171474.659236.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	148742
Clearly there's a lot of stuff in mine. HDMI splitter, upgrade hdm wifi. That bay has o plug I installed from my inverter so I can alway power those devices without shore power or my generator. Note also my tv is the older flip up mount.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Hi there! I have a 2017 30DS, and I had the same issue with DISH and the mobile antenna, after several attempts at dealers, and Best Buy. I decided to consult with a cable GURU who told me that either Forest River has to wire separate wires for the receivers who actually produce the power to the mobile antenna. My DISH antenna is a Pathway 2X and has two ports, Main & alternate, I went ahead and drilled a hole under the bedroom, by where the electric and inverter is located. Found a way up through the back of the drawers and up to the TV hooking the first receiver, then I did the same in the front by the first door which houses the batteries. Up and through the back of the small closet by the stairs, and up to the TV and second receiver. This means I run two cables when the satellite is up, but I get both TVs with cable, and each room can see separate channels.
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, lite, satellite