Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Curiouser and Curiouser

Second Cracked Windshield on FR3 30DS

About 4 months ago, the windshield on my 2016 FR3 30DS cracked in a single running line beginning at the bottom left side of the window. The crack cannot be felt on either the inside or outside of the window - it is an internal crack. There was no mark that I could see from a rock, nor any event I could determine might have led to the crack except for really bumpy roads in Texas. I had the windshield replaced as it was out of warranty.

Just now the new windshield has cracked again in approximately the same place and this time there were no bumpy roads nor any other reason I can see for it cracking. I am concerned about the next windshield having the same problem, if I don't find what is causing the cracking.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone traced the cause? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

I'm not sure if this could be it but I'll share what I have read before. My parents were having problems with their auto leveling system on their Thor Class A. When I was reading through different post I saw that a few people had the front windshield fall out of the cab during extreme flexing. I'm talking about one corner of the motorhome picking the tire off the ground while every other wheel was seated on the ground. I know they flex some because when their system messed up it would pick up one corner without the other jacks moving. It would flex to the point you couldn't open the door to get out. Just a thought if it could be flexing for some reason.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Automotive glass all 'floats' in the rubber gasket that occupies the channel between the body and the glass itself.

If, at any time the the body contacts the glass (due to structural flexing where the rubber gasket is pinched to the point where there is no clearance between the glass and the body), the glass will crack.

You obviously have a clearance issue at the point where the crack originated and replacing the windshield will not cure the issue.

What needs to be done is the point at which the crack originates, needs ro be addressed by a skilled body technician and the interference point needs to eliminated and/or the cause of the interference needs to be addressed.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I agree with sidecarflip. There have been many cases where there was bad workmanship around the windshield opening causing cracked windshields. You might want to contact FR. Don't let them give you the run around.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

When I bought my FR3 30DS, the dealer told me there was an issue with the FR3 windshields cracking...
He explained to me and showed me paperwork that my windshield had been replaced and the cause of the problem was fixed....
I've had mine on the worst roads imaginable (1-90 in Montana) and have never had an issue with the windshield cracking... bunk falling out of the ceiling, DVD player going tits up, trim falling off, windows rattling open, screw coming out of the roof vents, but no windshield cracks.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Consider yourself lucky then.... Not all units will experienced cracked windshields but those with an interference fit will...at some point.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks all for your advice. I will discuss this with the technician when he comes by on Friday and let you know what he/she says.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Curiouser and Curiouser

What the Duncan recommended glass technician said...

The Duncan rep recommended a particular mobile motorhome glass repair service here in Palm Desert. We had them out to assess what had caused the second windshield to break. As opposed to the first company we dealt with, these guys seemed to really know what they were talking about and the two technicians have been doing this kind of work for more than 12 years. Here is a f what the techs said:

1. Our 2016 FR3 30Ds does not have a gasket around the window. Instead it sits in a bed of sealant material (looks like black rubberized epoxy).

2. The window seal was pulling away from the window and this could be seen once the technician pointed it out to us.

2. The window had been installed in a slightly cocked position allowing the window to come into contact with the frame on one side.

3. The windows on FR3s do better when a foam insert is placed into the window track before installing.

4. The motorhome needs to set still for at least 2 days before moving (not the 4 hours the previous glass shop told us).

5. A number of other small things - all of which resulted in the stress fracture of the window.

6. They also said that these windows have a lot of flex in them and if installed correctly with the proper clearances (which they will ensure) they can take a lot of bumpy roads. However sharp right turns into sloped driveways are the most stressful for the windshield and to avoid those if at all possible.

7. Duncan is the best of all glass company's to work with and their products are high quality.

Will keep my fingers crossed!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
The Duncan rep recommended a particular mobile motorhome glass repair service here in Palm Desert. We had them out to assess what had caused the second windshield to break. As opposed to the first company we dealt with, these guys seemed to really know what they were talking about and the two technicians have been doing this kind of work for more than 12 years. Here is a f what the techs said:

1. Our 2016 FR3 30Ds does not have a gasket around the window. Instead it sits in a bed of sealant material (looks like black rubberized epoxy).

2. The window seal was pulling away from the window and this could be seen once the technician pointed it out to us.

2. The window had been installed in a slightly cocked position allowing the window to come into contact with the frame on one side.

3. The windows on FR3s do better when a foam insert is placed into the window track before installing.

4. The motorhome needs to set still for at least 2 days before moving (not the 4 hours the previous glass shop told us).

5. A number of other small things - all of which resulted in the stress fracture of the window.

6. They also said that these windows have a lot of flex in them and if installed correctly with the proper clearances (which they will ensure) they can take a lot of bumpy roads. However sharp right turns into sloped driveways are the most stressful for the windshield and to avoid those if at all possible.

7. Duncan is the best of all glass company's to work with and their products are high quality.

Will keep my fingers crossed!
I had an excellent experience with Duncan when our windshield needed replacement. Best part was that they sent the glass repair company, out of San Bernardino, to our home to do the repair. They also said the coach could not be moved for 48 hours, which made good sense. No problems since (knock on wood).

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack