Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #1

slide out noise

We own a 2017 FR3 29DS. It has developed a thud type of noise when taking of from a stop light. The sound also occurs when initially applying the brakes. I had a mechanic friend ride with me while I started and stopped in a parking lot so he could hear the noise. He even walked along side the Motor Home as I hit the gas and then the brakes so he could heard the noise from the outside. He seems to think that the kitchen / couch slide out is moving causing the thud sound. The noise seems like it is behind and under the drivers seat. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Gary Heeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #2

I had the same issue come up with my ‘19 32DS after my first ‘spring tune-up and maintenance’ on it. I also figured out it was my kitchen slide right behind the drivers seat that I could hear and feel thudding on take off, braking, and even turns that would cause good but if body roll. Then I figured out that the rollers beneath the slide out were most of what limits the shifting of the slide out from front to back, and therefore the liberal amount of silicone I’d thought was proper to apply as a maintenance measure was not a good idea. Cleaned rollers and the underside of the slide out, then to create a light tackiness I applied Belt Conditioner spray to the rollers and to just the underside of the slide out that those rollers makes contact with. Problem solved immediately and has not reoccurred.
I’d advise you to also check the very small rollers on the front and back inside wall of the slide out to make sure they were not crushed by the shifting of the slide. My front one was and I replaced that.

2019 FR3 32DS
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

Gary - did you find a good fix for this? My 2016 30DS does the same thing. Seems to have gotten a little worse over the months. Or I am just paying attention to it more!! FarFromLiberal - did your fix last or have you had to repeat?
DonTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:35 AM   #4

Far from liberal,
Still working on the problem. I think I am going to try to install tapered nylon shims to the slide out corners so that they will make contact with the small roller mechanisms when the slide is retracted. That should tighten up some of the play in the slide out.
Gary Heeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #5

The easy fix is to just not stop at traffic lights and route your trips so you only have to make right turns and don’t stop (just like like everybody else doesn’t do) before you turn. Does it do the same thing at stop signs?

Bruce
Old 10-01-2020, 06:43 AM   #6

Sorry for the long delay responding guys. But to answer your question about the lasting effect of using belt conditioner spray on the underside areas of the slide outs where the rollers make contact- Yes this ‘fix’ has worked very well and lasted, I have had no recurrence of shifting of the slides and the damage & noise it caused. I have preventatively reapplied the spray only after a few times washing the RV including the underside of the slides.

2019 FR3 32DS
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Please call Forest River Parts/Service at 574-206-7600, they will be able to help answer questions for you. Have a great day!
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, slide, slide out