Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #1

Some SOB stole our catalytic converter

Just got a phone call from the covered storage yard where we keep our RV. During the wee hours, someone cut through the fence and stole catalytic converters off of a number of motorhomes, including mine. Arrrggggh!

No comments necessary. I just needed to vent.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwino View Post
Just got a phone call from the covered storage yard where we keep our RV. During the wee hours, someone cut through the fence and stole catalytic converters off of a number of motorhomes, including mine. Arrrggggh!

Cliff,

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Some people out there that have no regard for other people's property.

If I can help anyway, please let me know Cliff.

Sorry again,

Brent Shuttleworth
Forest River FR3
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:

That's stinky. We're really sorry to hear that happened. A good friend of ours in Tennessee had 4 of catalytic converters cut off his truck the day he brought it home from the dealership. It's crazy.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:

https://youtu.be/afu5v3-7IR0
fuzzball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #5

What a pain.... So sorry that happened.

When you get a new one, have them paint it a bright color and etch the vin # into the side. They claim it makes it harder for the thieves to sell it, but I'm not sure I believe it.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #6

Cliff
You're not alone. Last weekend someone broke into the property next to the yard where about 200 RV's & boats are stored. They cut off about 30 catalytic converters including mine.

Long story, but insurance covered the huge cost, & I was able to have mine ordered a replaced in a few days. Have your shop jump on the ordering of the part ASAP, as the Ford PN will soon be on back order I'm sure.

As for the installation of the new one, pay the extra money to have the installer wrap and weld aircraft cable to the frame, and paint the converter bright orange or red with VHT Paint. Also inscribe your VIN on the converter. While not 100% steal proof, it may just deter the next idiot who wants to steal your CAT
Im sorry that you also got yours stolen, people can be horrible sometimes
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 20:
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #7

Shouldn't the storage yard where I asume you pay to keep your rig bare some responsiability for your lose?
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

No. Think of it like a landlord renting you an apartment or home. If someone breaks in and steals your stuff, their insurance won't cover your loss. That's why they have renter's insurance.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #9

I wrapped three pieces of chain around my catalytic converter to the chassis frame and spot welded them. Definitely not fool proof but hopefully a deterrent to a thief. I am able to do this myself but It probably would not cost much to have a shop do something like it. There are also some after market products out there that prevent cutting the exhaust pipes.

With these battery operated cut off tools available it only takes seconds to cut through steel.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #10

Those durdy bastids, would be great to catch em red handed or at least on video. Cat thieves are becoming more numerous it seems. Can make for a bad day.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:28 PM   #11
NXR

I bit the financial bullet and installed a CatStrap on ours. I hated to spend the money to do this but if ours got swiped I'd do it to the new one so I figured I might as well skip the deductible payment and the hassle.

Oh, and don't paint it orange.

No, not a pic of ours.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalytic Converter. Orange,  Stolen.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	273930  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How I Installed a CatStrap on a 2019 Ford F-53 V10 Motorhome Chassis.pdf (1.94 MB, 141 views)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #12

My 2 cents, many police departments suggest you should paint the converter along with etch your VIN on to it. Yes, it is not 100% theft proof, but is is a deterrent to some thieves with the combination of welding and wrapping cable.
for $20, its worth a shot rather than do nothing ..

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...h=722&dpr=1.25
Old 05-25-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44
My 2 cents, many police departments suggest you should paint the converter along with etch your VIN on to it. Yes, it is not 100% theft proof, but is is a deterrent to some thieves with the combination of welding and wrapping cable.
for $20, its worth a shot rather than do nothing.
Having worked with cops when I was on a fire department I suspect that painting and marking the converter will not really deter a thief because they already know where they will sell the stolen goods and how stringent the buyer is.

But what it will do is help law enforcement prove a crime took place if they find one so marked. That's not all bad.

Ray
Old 05-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #14

Same thing happened to us. Just got the new one installed and added one of these to help deter the theives!! https://www.catstrap.net
drewandjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Having worked with cops when I was on a fire department I suspect that painting and marking the converter will not really deter a thief because they already know where they will sell the stolen goods and how stringent the buyer is.

But what it will do is help law enforcement prove a crime took place if they find one so marked. That's not all bad.

Ray
That s 100% correct and exactly what my local officer stated.

Im under no illusions if someone wants my cat enough they will find a way. i just want to try to deter someone from doing it again on my rig. If he is caught with mine its immediate Grand Theft with the paint and etching of the vin. Again assuming caught before destruction.

Id rally like to connect some contraption up to my batteries and if/when they try again, it send a lighting bolt of current that blows their tools to bits and knocks them senseless but Id think Id be liable for that and just might cause them to do more damage to the rest of my RV in anger.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #16

We need to form a posse and hunt them dirty rotten commie stealing pieces of crap down and show them we ain't gonna take it anymore. Call Mr Dillon and Festus and tell Miss Kitty to start packing lunches. And don't for get a bottle or two of whiskey.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
Those durdy bastids, would be great to catch em red handed or at least on video. Cat thieves are becoming more numerous it seems. Can make for a bad day.
There's at least one less.

A while back in or near Lakewood, WA a thief crawled under a pickup and started to saw the cat off. Unfortunately for the thief the trucks owner was a: sleeping inside; b: armed; c: thief ended up shot to dead.

Hasn't slowed down the rest of the cat thieves though.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #18

I wouldn't expect paint or VIN numbers would make a hill of beans of difference, because the recyclers who buy these things know they are stolen, and they don't care. They buy them for $100 or so each, and they don't ask questions. They're just after the rare metals inside.

Some kind of physical deterrent that will add hassle to the process of removal is a better ROI, because thieves are like coyotes in that they will tend to prefer the easier meal.

Having said that, if they are bound and determined to get your cat, they're going to get it, and nothing will stop them. If it can't be easily un-bolted, then they'll just cut it off with a sawzall or a die grinder. Remember "The Club"? You know why you don't see those anymore? Exactly.

Your auto insurance policy may have theft and/or vandalism coverage that might be applied to this. Contact your agent, the worst they can say is "no".

Some sort of repair warranty might help defray the cost of replacement, which can run into the thousands of dollars.. Just bear in mind that after-market and third party warranties are notorious for what they don't cover. Always ask specific questions, and get the answers in writing.

Here's the simplest solution; Move your RV to a storage facility that has actual security in place. If there are cameras and lights everywhere, or better yet a night guard, that's not going to look like 'the easier meal' to a thief. They'll go somewhere else. It may cost you more, but against the cost of replacing your cat, possibly more than once? Seems like value to me.

"Winter in Phoenix falls on a Tuesday this year..."
Tombstone1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:01 PM   #19

Catalytic converter

What happens when the painted converter gets really hot while driving??????
Hot catalytic converters have been know to start grass fires. I would hate to see you lose your RV over a burning (painted) converter.

Even if a thief is caught, nothing will happen to them except a slap on the wrist.
CO DEACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:18 PM   #20

Had my Catalytic Converter stolen. Found out 2 month ago. Ford V10 2018. Cats went on back order. There a previous blog (shout out to him big help finding lead.) about driving 1600 miles to pick up a converter in Ohio, Ken Ganley Ford. I called Ken Ganley Ford they had no more. Talked to a nice part Man there. He found me two Ford Dealers in Indian that still had some. I bought mine at Jordan Ford, shout out to Ryan, made order easy. I just looked up other Ford Dealer that had one, Eby Ford Indiana. Had it shipped to my house and brought it to Suburban Ford of Waterford, MI , Shout out to Parker. For working with me to get it installed. Motorhome is in driveway tonight. Hope this helps someone else find one. No telling how long back order will last. There was 7 waiting at Suburban Ford.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter