Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #1

Spare Parts

First big trip. Bedroom slide would not come in. Luckily, I had read many posts regarding the 25DS FR3 and saw this coming. I had a spare motor/gear box. Turned out, my connecting shaft broke. This was one with two different sizes on each end. Called for mobile RV tech. Couldn't find one. Called for parts at local CW. No parts. If I didn't have a spare, would still be stuck at Skidaway Island. Luckily, local park employees lend me wood and jack to support slide while I loosened all cables and replaced motor/gear box assembly. Took six hours in the parking lot at Skidaway no with no prior experience. I got the job done and my sweety was happy. Carry spare parts and learn how to fix it.
Pirateghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #2

guessing which parts to carry is a real crap shoot. A good share of the time the spares are only out of the rig when you trade it in. lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
guessing which parts to carry is a real crap shoot. A good share of the time the spares are only out of the rig when you trade it in. lol
Exactly. I carried all kinds of spare parts around for years. What I discovered was that either I didn't have the exact spare part I needed, only part of what I needed, or that the part was no longer any good from carrying it around for years!
I no longer take up space with spares that I will most likely never use.
Haven't missed them at all!
Of course now that we are retired, it is impossible for us to be "stuck" anywhere
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Luckily, I had read many posts regarding the 25DS FR3 and saw this coming. I had a spare motor/gear box. Turned out, my connecting shaft broke.
Congratulations on doing your research and making an educated guess as to what parts frequently fail and would cause major problems on your trip.
Glad you got it fixed and are on the road again.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #5

My "spare parts" stash is mostly small items for plumbing, electrical, repairs as well as an assortment of nuts, bolts, screws, for the usual "fixing".

I do carry a spare water pump but it's wired and plumbed to use as a water transfer pump for refilling my tank while boondocking.

I also carry a set of wheel bearings and seals. Those are really the only thing that can strand me.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It wasn't a guess. At purchase, I scoured forums for my model and similar to see what the common failure part was. Number one was slide out issues and the motor/gear box. I knew right then to buy spares of that item. These are "show stopper" items that will ruin a camping trip. I don't pack parts that are not so essential.
Pirateghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
edm

You are right on Pirateghost all you have to do is read the posts about the slide problems. I have carried a spare motor and gear box for several years now.I have not needed it yet but you never now. Also I now how to replace it and Adjust the cables.
Good luck to you and safe and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Insert witty title here

My list of spare parts has grown over the years, mostly due to me running to the store to buy parts and tools for emergency repairs. Things I carry include:

Spare hardware (screws, bolts, nails etc)
Legths of pex plus plus assorted fittings
spare WDH retaining pins
spare hub with extra bearings, seals, castle nuts with retainers and grease
gorilla tape
fuses
sealant
dry lube

There's more but that's all I can think of right now.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts