Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Spend 6 continuous weeks in an FR3 then give me your opinion.

We are closing in on completing a 6 week adventure in our new 2021 30DS. A 5,000 mile trip that has formed a 5,000 item repair and correction list for the dealer and FR (slightly exaggerated, probably only 500 items).
We’ve experienced window shades falling from the walls, door trim falling off, dinette back rest collapsing, generator exhaust falling off, and many other quality excuses.
Don’t get me wrong, we like the FR3, but somewhere in the factory does someone actual own and know how to use a level? Every light switch is crooked and other interior pieces as well.
Now, we are down for who knows how long in the middle of nowhere Arizona (see my other rant about slide wiring) because someone obviously forgot to properly route a wiring harness!
C’mon Forest River….you’re better than this.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #2

That really stinks that you are stuck with busted slider, I guess we have been lucky. We spent over 90 days in ours this year. We travel with tools, it falls off, I put it back, but nothing that home repair skills couldn't do.
I think as long as every camper, trailer and motorhome is sold before it is even made, there is no down side to a poor build.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

Assuming all trailers coming off the line are pre-sold I have to ask why evey rv dealer i've seen driving across the country has lots full of RV by the hundreds ? Quality control is an issue that's always been an issue . FR makes some nice units and some garbage units as does most manufactures
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

I spent June-July in my 2017 32DS and had a couple of items break. The most costly was the gear box on the living room slide. Luckily I was at a location that had the part and a mobile repair tech. I also had to repair the 7 blade plug for the trailer hitch and one light switch. We drove over 5300 miles. It was a great trip.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

Out of curiosity, can you share your full list of issues? I put over 5,000 miles into our 2021 33DS and also experienced the exhaust piece that came off from where it was mounted (doesn't seem to be a problem, though). The passenger seat shade fell off, but we simply re-screwed it back in. Had a variety of other easy things we fixed on our own.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
Out of curiosity, can you share your full list of issues? I put over 5,000 miles into our 2021 33DS and also experienced the exhaust piece that came off from where it was mounted (doesn't seem to be a problem, though). The passenger seat shade fell off, but we simply re-screwed it back in. Had a variety of other easy things we fixed on our own.

Let me give FR and the dealer a chance to correct the items (the ones I haven’t already addressed myself) before I share that list. I feel that would only be fair to all.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

We put 5,000 miles and 8 weeks on our 2020 FR3 30DS last December and January. We had refrigerator issues over last summer and it took 4 trips back to the dealer and one campground visit by the dealer to fix the problem. With that fixed we headed from PA to TX last December. In TX we had issues with water flow in the kitchen sink and toilet. A mobile RV tech replaced the valve in the toilet and the kitchen sink slowly returned to normal on its own .
During one of our stops from TX to FL the bedroom slide went crooked and stopped halfway closed. I searched and found information on the IRV2 forum on how to reset the slide code and we were able to open then close the slide.
That is the extent of issues we had on our 8 week, 5,000 miles excursion last year.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #8

I feel all of you' s pain. 2020 FR3 34DS. Refrigerator breakdown twice and now in shop for coil replacement. Trim falling off. Jack Hydraulic line replaced due to improper installation and line was cut by metal frame. 1/2 bath toilet macerator replaced. Shade over sink fill off. Passenger window would not close. Both AC's lost refrigerant and now waiting for replacement to arrive and be installed. Basement storage resealed to prevent water from getting in. Backup camera being replaced once it is received. Steering Column floor opening where you can see daylight and the ground (I fixed it myself). Bedroom slide out wouldn't slide back in, reset code. Storage under bed had screws protruding to the inside and cutting you. Combo Washer/Dryer turn off valve wouldn't open and was place in the far right back corner out of reach. Pantry frame installed crooked. Sink is not level and water sit's to one corner. 7 way connection rewired and replaced. I'll stop now. You get the hint. QC seems to not exist at the factory.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Spend 6 continuous weeks in an FR3 then give me your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFE7Ret View Post
I feel all of you' s pain. 2020 FR3 34DS. Refrigerator breakdown twice and now in shop for coil replacement. Trim falling off. Jack Hydraulic line replaced due to improper installation and line was cut by metal frame. 1/2 bath toilet macerator replaced. Shade over sink fill off. Passenger window would not close. Both AC's lost refrigerant and now waiting for replacement to arrive and be installed. Basement storage resealed to prevent water from getting in. Backup camera being replaced once it is received. Steering Column floor opening where you can see daylight and the ground (I fixed it myself). Bedroom slide out wouldn't slide back in, reset code. Storage under bed had screws protruding to the inside and cutting you. Combo Washer/Dryer turn off valve wouldn't open and was place in the far right back corner out of reach. Pantry frame installed crooked. Sink is not level and water sit's to one corner. I'll stop now. You get the hint. QC seems to not exist at the factory.

Does this shade look level or square to the window and wall? Didn’t think so. I’m trying not to go off on another rant regarding initial quality, but it is getting tougher to contain the frustration. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4615.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	264692
Old 10-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #10

We just finished a three month tour of the east. We started in Florida and headed up the coast all the way up to Highland, NY, then we cut across the mountains to the Finger Lakes Region and Southern Lake Ontario. We returned to Florida by following Rt. 81 along the Blue Ridge into the Asheville, NC area and then south through the Smokies. We arrived back in Florida on October 1st.
Besides the horrible condition of the roads which cause minor damages, we made it through 5 tropical systems which also generated Terrornados.
We are now in the process of selling our house and we will be living in the trailer and travelling for 6 months while we look for a new permanent home.
Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS...
If we can do it, anyone can do it!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
FR3 Grampy

Poor quality control

In September 2015 I purchased a 25DS and after one month of joy my dream machine turned into a very frustration pain in the neck. I have not done a whole season of camping without needing to replace, fix, or modify something. My FR3 is a wonderful machine but the quality is terrible. I can’t believe the number of repairs I’ve had to do to keep this unit rolling. It’s a good thing I’m good at repairing stuff because if I had to bring it to a repair shop every time something broke, I’d be in the poor house.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #12

Same with the front windshield shade. Not leveled.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #13

Wow, getting the feeling despite some of the problems i have had with my 2017 FR3 I am feeling fortunate now. Sure I've had a few things go wrong, slide out gearbox (common problem) but nothing I have not be able to repair myself. I suppose I am fortunate that I am a handyman and actually have the time to fix stuff.

It is frustrating when I see some of the stupid stuff, like I am pretty sure the factory used a chainsaw to cut out the electrical outlets and the lack of quality parts and workmanship but maybe 2017 was before they really started not caring about quality control.

I recall people saying if you are concerned about gas mileage you best not by an RV. Maybe to that we should add , if you can not run basic tools and do basic repairs you best not buy an RV. Sad situation for sure.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
Wow, getting the feeling despite some of the problems i have had with my 2017 FR3 I am feeling fortunate now. Sure I've had a few things go wrong, slide out gearbox (common problem) but nothing I have not be able to repair myself. I suppose I am fortunate that I am a handyman and actually have the time to fix stuff.

It is frustrating when I see some of the stupid stuff, like I am pretty sure the factory used a chainsaw to cut out the electrical outlets and the lack of quality parts and workmanship but maybe 2017 was before they really started not caring about quality control.

I recall people saying if you are concerned about gas mileage you best not by an RV. Maybe to that we should add , if you can not run basic tools and do basic repairs you best not buy an RV. Sad situation for sure.

Zack and I at technical support are communicating on a daily basis. He is very good but this is like talking to the hospital emergency room daily and still trying to tell yourself that you’re not in bad health!
Old 10-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFR3 View Post
Does this shade look level or square to the window and wall? Didn’t think so. I’m trying not to go off on another rant regarding initial quality, but it is getting tougher to contain the frustration. Attachment 264692

Here is another area where building quality into the manufacturing process would eliminate issues. Looking at my galley cabinets while sitting in my theater seats that won’t stay reclined with the weight of my legs (another active thread), I noticed that the drawers don’t align vertically. Do these look level with each other to you?…..didn’t think so!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4839.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	264869
Old 10-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOFR3 View Post
Does this shade look level or square to the window and wall? Didn’t think so. I’m trying not to go off on another rant regarding initial quality, but it is getting tougher to contain the frustration. Attachment 264692
That is so obvious but I have to ask, did you not see this in PDI or did you not pull the shade down?

I agree with you though that “ That ain’t right.”

We have a 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback33ik. Very little problems and have probably pulled in it 50K miles. We’ve thought about upgrading but the quality of the new units is discouraging. Stick with what we have…

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
That is so obvious but I have to ask, did you not see this in PDI or did you not pull the shade down?

I agree with you though that “ That ain’t right.”

We have a 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback33ik. Very little problems and have probably pulled in it 50K miles. We’ve thought about upgrading but the quality of the new units is discouraging. Stick with what we have…

We didn’t see it at delivery. I noticed this fubar while sitting eating breakfast one morning.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #18

On our Maiden Voyage in a 2014 FR3 25DS we lost the main slide-out on day-3 of a one month, 6,800 mile trip. (The bed slide-out failed a month after the 1-year factory warranty expired!) Other failed items included the power shade not opening/closing properly, hard-2-start Genset, and doors & drawers that opened whenever I made a turn. I added another latch to each door & drawer, and left the remainder of gripes to the dealer. Once we debugged the rig, all was well. Guess it's the baptism by gripes for all new rigs.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #19

What is average MPG? I just made a 2000 mile trip pulling a Ford Ranger in mine and got 6.5 average
afpgdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #20

We drove from Los Angeles to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Then we went North to Niagara Falls, NY for a week. Returned to LA a week later, total 5-weeks on the road, cut short due to failed main slide-out. No dinghy was used on this trip, but we averaged 8-MPG overall.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3