Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Stairs

2015 FR3 30DS Here...

Just wanted to report that our stairs are starting to hang lower on the left than the right when retracted or extended (see pic 1). It has been slowly getting worse over time. I finally crawled under to see that the frame where the left side of the stairs was attached seems to be bending down (see pic 2)

Our rig is beyond the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. I contacted the service department at FR and said I felt this was a safety issue and asked what FR would do about it. Much to my surprise, they said to take it back to the dealer and FR would pay for the repair!

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ContactUs.aspxService
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-27 004.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	116279   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-27 002.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	116280  
Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
2015 FR3 30DS Here...

Just wanted to report that our stairs are starting to hang lower on the left than the right when retracted or extended (see pic 1). It has been slowly getting worse over time. I finally crawled under to see that the frame where the left side of the stairs was attached seems to be bending down (see pic 2)

Our rig is beyond the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. I contacted the service department at FR and said I felt this was a safety issue and asked what FR would do about it. Much to my surprise, they said to take it back to the dealer and FR would pay for the repair!

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ContactUs.aspxService
WOW!! That's quite a bend. Looks like a gusset is in order to give that area some strength. But, the more I look at pic #2, it looks like they had some kind of a gusset on the side frame attached to the lip. Probably some shoddy welding there. I'll be keeping a watchful eyes on ours.
Thanks for the heads up.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

I had exactly the same failure. My vehicle had previously been to a show so I blamed all the heavy people going in and out. The dealer welded the broken "L" shape back in place. However, a few month later, the weld gave way. I took a length of bed rail and put it on top of the existing mounting bracket (~11") to more than double the material there and to distribute the weight across that bracket. So far, so good but who knows. As with many things in this coach, I refer to it as "An insufficient design". The point that fails gets over 500 ft-lbs of torque on 1/8" bent steel. I'm 6'3" and over 200lbs.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
I had exactly the same failure. My vehicle had previously been to a show so I blamed all the heavy people going in and out. The dealer welded the broken "L" shape back in place. However, a few month later, the weld gave way. I took a length of bed rail and put it on top of the existing mounting bracket (~11") to more than double the material there and to distribute the weight across that bracket. So far, so good but who knows. As with many things in this coach, I refer to it as "An insufficient design". The point that fails gets over 500 ft-lbs of torque on 1/8" bent steel. I'm 6'3" and over 200lbs.
I'm over 200# as well. I think the natural tendency is to exit the coach on the right side of the stairs to avoid hitting the door. I'm guessing it gets more use than the left side when exiting. A steel plate and/or perhaps more bolts should fix the problem. Called my dealer - no appts for almost 2 months.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Hey kadiddle, peteanded. On another subject. Looks like we are all about the same size and weight. Have either of you been up on the roof of your coach?
I'm a little leery. I'm 6'3", 240.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Hey kadiddle, peteanded. On another subject. Looks like we are all about the same size and weight. Have either of you been up on the roof of your coach?
I'm a little leery. I'm 6'3", 240.
Yes, several times. The ladder is a little wobbly, but I'm not afraid of it and the roof seems quite stable. Careful of the edges! Also, the first step up and last one down is quite a distance from the ground - you might want to start going up the RV ladder from a stepladder.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Truth be told my "over 200" is around 240. Yes, I go up on the roof. The FR3 ladder is closer to the body than my previous coach hence less movement. Other than having less space for my size 13 feet, it's more stable. Be careful not to twist your feet with weight on when on the roof. I live in the northeast and go on the roof every winter storm to clear. After one winter, I can see some footsteps in the roof. Covers never worked for me.

Also agree with the comment that we all put our weight on the left corner of the stairs (facing coach from outside) to avoid the door. Hence, that's the side that is seeming to fail. Curious if there are to be many FR3 owners with this stair failure mode such that maybe there will be a safety recall.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Ours is not of the best quality either so I put a couple of these under the last step when we get to camp.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thanks for the input guys. When I've washed the coach in the past I had a neighbor teen that would go on the roof for the wash. The family has moved so now I guess I'll trek up and do it myself. ��

Old 08-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickem66 View Post
Ours is not of the best quality either so I put a couple of these under the last step when ........
We, after spending the kind of money we've spent on our coaches, should not have to tolerate having to support our steps when deployed. Our any other kind of work arounds due to poor design, quality, or workmanship. Just saying...........
Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

Broken Stairs

We've had the same issue . . . twice! The first fix didn't last long; so far the second fix is holding.

Flagstaff E-Pro E19FBS

David and Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #12

Our 2016 FR3 is scheduled 8/15/16 for a list of warranty work, one item which is sagging stairs on the left hand side (see photo)Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470345946.428277.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	116300 While looking underneath I couldn't really see the cause of the problem but thought may be a loose bolt and nut or broken weld. Hopeful will know for sure soon. Thanks for everyone's insight. Happy motoring. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #13

Got our RV back from the dealer. They feel quite solid again. No charge (FR paid for the repairs)... the paperwork says they removed the step and wiring, straightened metal, welded broken section back together and added material for extra support.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

Our stairs failed to. Our dealer said two things, the way the door opens forces you to step in the same place every time, and the stairs are not the best quality. Our dealer re-welded and reinforced. FR paid for it.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #15

Hmmm something weird happened to our steps... the metal steps outside were fine but the indoor steps used to sink down two inches they fixed it but it was strange

2015 fr3 towing a Suzuki grand vatara
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #16

Had the same problem with mine was not the steps themselves the cheap metal they used to both the steps to actually tour I rewound it and install quarter inch steel reinforcement plates steps are solid now
anthony mazziotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony mazziotto View Post
Had the same problem with mine was not the steps themselves the cheap metal they used to both the steps to actually tour I rewound it and install quarter inch steel reinforcement plates steps are solid now

Can you please post any pictures of your repair ?
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
why not put a better step system on? That problem also happens to trailers also
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #19

I had same exact problem as have many other with the stairs on FR3. Forest River is going to fix it, there might even be a recall on it. But they know the stair problem on the 2016.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stair, stairs