Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
JohnCD

Steps and awning

Last trip out the steps were acting intermittent prior to departing for home. Was able to get them to retract somehow for the trip home. Once we arrived home the steps would not extend when the door was opened. Wasn't sure if it was a motor or power problem. Went looking for the fuse and also realized the awning will now not extend...it worked when we were on the trip. Are the steps and awning powered off of the same fuse or fuse block terminal? Being that they are both motors one would think they would be on their own circuit and each would have a relatively high ampere fuse. If I had a reasonable wiring diagram I think the troubleshooting would be easy but I am currently at a loss. Has anyone run into a similar type problem? I would appreciate any input that may lead me in the right direction.

2016 FR3 30DS
2015 Wrangler JK Unlimited
JohnCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2

Worked intermittently then not at all, sounds like a weak battery. Have you checked the voltage? Drive home should have charged it fully.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
from Cali

With this information it sounds like a low voltage problem. The two could be unrelated, but I would try checking and servicing your house batteries. Check the terminals and the water level.
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCD View Post
Last trip out the steps were acting intermittent prior to departing for home. Was able to get them to retract somehow for the trip home. Once we arrived home the steps would not extend when the door was opened. Wasn't sure if it was a motor or power problem. Went looking for the fuse and also realized the awning will now not extend...it worked when we were on the trip. Are the steps and awning powered off of the same fuse or fuse block terminal? Being that they are both motors one would think they would be on their own circuit and each would have a relatively high ampere fuse. If I had a reasonable wiring diagram I think the troubleshooting would be easy but I am currently at a loss. Has anyone run into a similar type problem? I would appreciate any input that may lead me in the right direction.
They are fused separately and typically are fused directly off the coach battery. If not blown does sound like low battery, as said.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
FrankJR

Steps and Awning

I have the same problem. The steps extend and retract when the vehicle engine is running, but not when the engine is off. The awning does not work in any case. I am plugged into external power, so could it still be a low battery?
Rodegeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
JohnCD

I should have posted the fix. I determined the steps and awning would work when I used the battery boost from the cab, and since both items use 12VDC it led me to the coach batteries (which were sulfated). I attempted topping off with distilled water and charging them individually outside the coach but they were too far gone. As soon as I replaced the batteries the problems ceased to exist. What I believe led to this problem was that I would leave an extension cord connected to the power cord to keep the battery charged during down time (which sometimes was several months at a time). I have changed this procedure to only connect the extension cord randomly to keep the batteries from discharging too much which has been successful so far.

2016 FR3 30DS
2015 Wrangler JK Unlimited
JohnCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning