Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #81

Mine broke 2 wks ago falling is not fun when your almost 70 But Bob and Travis helped out immensely and my new Kiwi steps were over nighted and installed !! Still sore but happy everything was taken care of fast ! Want to thank z3406 and his wife for all the info he gave me in Pensacola really a great guy !! enjoy your FR3 !!! Semper Fi
bigdocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #82

This is why units produced after 11/2014 have different brand
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #83
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Not so sure that is the case. Our 2014 30DS was built 6/13, bought 11/13. It came with Kwikee entry steps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #84

Mine broke as well.....however it occurred when the door popped open while driving and the steps went down and hit a curb...Remember to lock the door.
Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #85

The steps were by Lippert for years, Kwikee was a upgrade.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #86

All the coaches that used the LCI steps around 2014. Had this issue My unhardened steal bolt sneered off leaving the threaded potion in. Awe,Des on bolt. The design is poor and places too much tension on the bolt. There are posts on he IRV 2 boars about them too. My Lipert broke while on. Strip and I had to chain them up to get home. I replaced with Kwikee two step model after calling Lippert and complaining.

LCI purchased Kwikee so they are the same company now. I have no interest in dropping a dime to the TSB. The company made good on the repair for me.

2014 30DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #87

Last year my Lippert steps broke. Common issue with sheared bolt. CW repaied it by drilling out the old bolt and reolacing. Now all of a sudden it's broke again....well kinda. .. when the step closes, the motor keeps going clunking for about 3 secs. No issues on opening.
Anyone have any experience with this...suggestions? Every rv repair says they are so busy. ..leave it with them for a few weeks and they will try to squeeze in...AHhhhhh
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #88

Mine were making a grinding noise on opening and closing and wouldn't fully extend or retract without manual assistance. The motor was failing, happened 2 weeks before my 1 year purchase date anniversary, and was the same day I had just got it home from having the AC unit replaced under warranty.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Last year my Lippert steps broke. Common issue with sheared bolt. CW repaied it by drilling out the old bolt and reolacing. Now all of a sudden it's broke again....well kinda. .. when the step closes, the motor keeps going clunking for about 3 secs. No issues on opening.
Anyone have any experience with this...suggestions? Every rv repair says they are so busy. ..leave it with them for a few weeks and they will try to squeeze in...AHhhhhh
The motor is supposed to stop when the motor current reaches a certain level. Could be something loose (check that pesky bolt for tightness) or the motor itself. Don't think the module is the issue because the motor is the same as a car power window (stops at full up/down) and I don't think they have a control module. Could be wrong.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #90

I have the Kwikee steps on my 2015 and they were doing exactly as MaltnHops were. Dealer replaced motor as there was a tooth broke in the gear motor.

leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #91

Had a RV repair guy look at here at NASCAR Michigan. The replacement bolt they used to repair last time has bent and the whole unit is warped. Worse step ever. Gonna try to order new steps from CW. kwickee is all they have but it's got to be better than these Lipperts.

Rig only 1.5 yrs old steps break twice and now, have to fork out $650 for new steps. Not impressed!

Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #92

Might check with FR. Those steps have issues. Maybe get something done even tho your out of warranty. Worth a call ?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #93

Keep in mind the Lippert steps have been problematic for years. Two separate bolts shear and total step failure. The fix? Lippert purchased Kwikee! Really.....

Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #94

Your steps are warranted by Lippert not Forest River, check your Lippert service manual that should have come with your coach and see what the warranty period actually is. I have the Kwikee steps and they are warranted parts and labor for two years on the mechanical parts and 1 year on the step surfaces.

leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Your steps are warranted by Lippert not Forest River, check your Lippert service manual that should have come with your coach and see what the warranty period actually is. I have the Kwikee steps and they are warranted parts and labor for two years on the mechanical parts and 1 year on the step surfaces.

Hmmm...certainly worth a shot. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #96

My lippert 3 steps broke within 1100 miles and got Lippert to replace them with Kwikee two step model. A different design and I don't have to worry about the bolt sheering off again. I didn't like the 3 steps because in certain locations the bottom step dragged. We now carry an aluminum folding step that can be used as a bottom step when the coach is jacked up.

Having that optional step also allows to offset the step to e left so you can open the screen door. While driving The aluminum step while folded makes a good foot rest on the passenger side where my wife's feet normally wouldn't touch the floor.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #97

I ordered a kwikee 2 step model today. $650 Canadian. Didn't bother with trying to chase down any warranty as Forrest River is always a fight and I have had the rig for over 2 years now so sure Lippert will do nothing. . (Even though it's used for only 4.5 months a year).

RV service centre said they will reinstall my utility light as the 2 step model doesn't have one.
Hopefully by installing the 2 step model, I'll have no more issues.

"fingers crossed "

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #98

Will last 2X longer if you brace the lowest step to the ground. Use jacks, blocks or what ever. Less bounce inside also.