Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #1

Steps on 2015 FR3

The steps won't stay out when door is closed, worked before I left home. Bought a new motor thinking that was the problem but it wasn't. What else could be the issue. Thank you
Showenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #2

Do you have the light for the steps turned on?

For some silly reason that seems to activate the thing so the steps open and close any time the door is opened or closed. Turning off the light will make them stay out. At least it worked that way ones we had.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showenuff View Post
The steps won't stay out when door is closed, worked before I left home. Bought a new motor thinking that was the problem but it wasn't. What else could be the issue. Thank you
Is the step switch on and illuminated? Assuming you have Kwikee steps.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

For some silly reason that seems to activate the thing so the steps open and close any time the door is opened or closed. Turning off the light will make them stay out. At least it worked that way ones we had.
You probably had Lippert (now defunct) steps and the step switch for Kwikee steps is just the opposite.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You probably had Lippert (now defunct) steps and the step switch for Kwikee steps is just the opposite.
I don’t know for sure what kind of steps they were, it was on a 2020 Mirada Select so they likely weren’t all that defunct.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
I don’t know for sure what kind of steps they were, it was on a 2020 Mirada Select so they likely weren’t all that defunct.
Then they were not Lippert and if Kwikee steps (which is what the OP has) the light you speak of must not be the illuminated step switch. The OP should post something.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:

It doesn't matter if the switch is on or off, the steps go in when door is shut.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Steps would not go in

There is a master circuit under the steps on our 2015 FR3 try that
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:54 AM   #9

Front step solution

The front step on our 2014 started to go out when I put it in drive!! That is a big problem and the opposite of what should happen. I checked every connection and switch and finally just installed a master power switch near the other switches left of the steps. A factory tech suggested it.
The added advantage is that when you are parked close to a curb or other obstruction you can open the door without having the steps go out.
Now i turn the power on when i want steps to move in or out and then turn power off when they are where i want them.

Easy fix.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showenuff View Post
It doesn't matter if the switch is on or off, the steps go in when door is shut.
Asked if the step switch is illuminated when ON and if not the FR3 has an inline 5amp fuse connected directly to a coach battery for the 12Vdc input to the step controller to keep the steps extended when the switch is ON and the door is closed. If the 12Vdc is getting to the step controller the controller is suspect. The ignition switch ON will override this and retract steps regardless step switch ON or OFF with door closed.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:04 AM   #11
FR3 Grampy

A different message

I also have problems with my Lippert steps but it has to do with weight. The gears and teflon bushings have all worn out and I was wondering if anyone has ever switch those heavy steel metal steps with aluminum one? If so, can you tell me how?
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Then they were not Lippert and if Kwikee steps (which is what the OP has) the light you speak of must not be the illuminated step switch. The OP should post something.
The switch was most definitely the illuminated step switch. The switch was labeled “Step Light”, and when the switch was on the lights under the steps came on. If the switch was on the steps moved in or out every time the door opened or closed. When the switch was off the steps would move out the first the door opened then the steps would stay out until the switch was turned on and the door closed or the key was in the on position and the door closed. When the key was on the steps always moved out or in depending on if the door were open or closed. The switch obviously was connected to the step lights and to the step controller, perhaps incorrectly connected but, that is the way it worked.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

I think this is the 2014 FR3 entrance switch panel and that "ENTRANCE STEP" switch light is the one that, when ON and illuminated will keep the steps extended with the door closed. The fuse location for that switch has been posted. I'm done with this thread. The OP will figure it out.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #14

I had this same problem with my 2014 Encounter. I called Lippert and the tech guided me through a troubleshooting process. The guy was fantastic and we were able to isolate the issue and fix the problem.
GlennFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTROAD View Post
There is a master circuit under the steps on our 2015 FR3 try that
Will check that, thank you. I have the same year 2015.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #16

Thank you
Old 05-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #17

Ok, thank you
Old 05-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #18

Ok, thank you

Tags
fr3, steps