Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #1

Strap in your Catalytic converter with stainless cables

Our FR 3 was hit today also while in our storage lot. Don’t know what’s wrong with people these days. I worked 10years 7 days a week to buy my RV and some low down scumbags have to steal my Catalytic Converter. They got 7 rigs not just mine. Something needs to be changed or done about this. Anything over $750 is a class C felony in Missouri but it needs to start with the ones buying them. Need to crack down on the buyers of stolen Cats 10-20 years seems fair to me. And lifetime probation. Well for me cops came out and I will see my Insurance agent when Police report is done on Tuesday. Everybody have a great Christmas and New Years.
swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:16 PM   #2

I completely agree with your thoughts.
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #3

Creeps got mine last spring. I'm still furious about it. I lessened the chance of it happening again, it's behind a locked door in a 42 foot storage unit. Nothing is fool proof. Storage lots are easy targets. Locked gates, fences cameras mean nothing to deter thief's.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #4

I would ask the storage yard to see if their insurance will cover it.

You can claim that their security really dropped the ball

as there were 7 rigs that got hit. (they were grossly negligent)

Does the yard advertise any sort of security?

surely someone watching CCT can spot a guy with a sawzall and a bunch of converters! were they even looking and was the cameras and motion detectors working?

It's a long shot but who knows unless you ask... send them a letter of demand not just a phone call or other chat!

they may cough up your deuctible
Old 12-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #5

Storage places with security cameras just record thefts. They don't actually watch them. Our trailer was hit for 1500 in damages to break in and steal a cheap pair of binoculars, a couple years ago. And their insurance doesn't cover your stuff..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #6

Storage places have clauses in the rental agreement that protects them from any responsibility.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

I know the storage places require you have to insure your own stuff BUT

There may be a case to be made if they advertise secure facility
and 7 RV's were hit.

They can't stop you from claiming the facility was negligent.
if stuff keeps getting stolen

was there multiple days , that the thefts were performed
Did they do anything to protect the facility after the first / second occurrence
Did they inform you thefts were occurring and to increase your own vigilance

They do have a duty to keep the facility safe.,..
They also understand that you hiring a lawyer to recover a few hundred dollars (deductible) is unlikely.

If 7 of you banded together it may just be enough for the owners to upgrade their security. Nothing will happen though if you keep silent.

BUT... if your facility has a waiting list of people wanting to get in. (FL is full)

Don't threaten them we'll leave if you don't fix it!
Old 12-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #8

Good luck suing a storage yard for loss of a cat converter or anything else for that matter. First "exhibit" by the defense will be the agreement you signed holding them harmless for any theft or damage.

The main issue is that these thieves are hard to catch and when caught are often not prosecuted. When prosecuted the courts don't hand down sentences severe enough to make an impression on the criminals.

Often recycling centers are blamed for buying the stolen merchandise but lately it's been revealed that thieves are merely selling the converters to other criminals that put them in containers and ship them overseas to foreign buyers (sometimes within a day or two of the thefts).

Stopping this practice will require a concerted effort by law enforcement, prosecutors, courts, AND our Customs Agency (inspecting all export containers).

When you look at the above "solution" and it's overall expense, many think it's just better to let the victims insurance cover the loss as "enforcement just shoveling sand against the tide".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #9

I own a storage facility with inside and outside storage but also have the hold harmless in my contract or I couldn’t get insurance? Makes a lot of sense but the policy is there for other liabilities also. Fire is exempted because of the mountains location even though I had to add another fire hydrant. Now I have one on each corner. I do have 14 security cameras and lots of backup just because I like to catch crooks. But this is catch and release California.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #10

I had my catalytic converter vandalized at my storage facility twice. The first time they cut the pipe but didn't get the converter. That cost me $1000. No insurance claim because my deductible is $1000. The second time they got the converter and that cost me $4000. Insurance paid all but the $1000 deductible.

When I bought my new RV, I spent $350 to have a Cat Strap installed. It may not be foolproof, but I figure that if the thieves look under the RV and see it, they'll move on to another vehicle and leave mine alone.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that the crux of the problem is that people are willing to buy the stolen parts.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno 2022 View Post
I had my catalytic converter vandalized at my storage facility twice. The first time they cut the pipe but didn't get the converter. That cost me $1000. No insurance claim because my deductible is $1000. The second time they got the converter and that cost me $4000. Insurance paid all but the $1000 deductible.

When I bought my new RV, I spent $350 to have a Cat Strap installed. It may not be foolproof, but I figure that if the thieves look under the RV and see it, they'll move on to another vehicle and leave mine alone.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that the crux of the problem is that people are willing to buy the stolen parts.
Guess we can’t post what should be done with those that take the cats, and those that buy said cats. The courts haven’t figured it out.
It would be fast, thorough, and might actually bring the business to an end.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #12

Does a cable really help? If the perp has an angle grinder, it just adds a few seconds to the job? You would have to box the converter with 1/8" angle iron to slow them down.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #13

News show I watched this morning reported that cat thefts are up over 1000% this year...
And for vehicles, seems F-150's and GMC LTs are at the top two on the target lists.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #14

If you want to slow them down steel rod or angle crisscrossed at 1.5” welded at every crossing is time consuming.
When copper was a big theft item the scrap yards and metal buyer’s had to get ID and hold the materials for days to check them out before payment. But if they send it out of the country that’s different. Personally I carry $100 deductible comprehensive.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #15

I wish the manufactures would do something with emissions so you don't need one. The Cat Shields are a great idea but they are only available for a few vehicles, unfortunately not motorhomes.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #16

Probably have to make what you need.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I wish the manufactures would do something with emissions so you don't need one. The Cat Shields are a great idea but they are only available for a few vehicles, unfortunately not motorhomes.
I think they are working to eliminate emission controls. They're all working on producing electric vehicles.

Eventually they'll have batteries to solve the towing distance issue and charging.

Of course then the criminal element will just steal the batteries, perhaps the entire vehicle too.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #18

I wrapped my cat with 6 separate lengths of 3/8" steel cable that also goes around the frame and transmission crossmember. They may still get it, but it's definitely going to draw some blood.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster
I wrapped my cat with 6 separate lengths of 3/8" steel cable that also goes around the frame and transmission crossmember. They may still get it, but it's definitely going to draw some blood.

I saw a pic of one wrapped in barbed wire. I'd probably use razor wire myself.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #20

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, cat, converter