Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #1

Suggestion on compound or wax

Hi I just purchased an FR3 from someone spending his winter in Texas. I don't think he ever waxed his Motorhome. So the paint is very oxidized . I tried a wax but the shine never came back. Some one told me it needed a good compound to get the oxidation off and then wax it. Anyone has a recommendation/ suggestion for a good compound?

Tks
Cay0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

When I purchased mine it had oxidation on the top of the front cap. When I had the roof replace the technician told me to use Brake Cleaner. Spray it on a rag and wipe it off. And then wash the area and wax it. I did that and the shine came and stayed back.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
llr

I never heard of brake cleaner, wish I did

I had the same issue on a Bounder and I tried a bunch of things, about the best was a mequires fiberglass restoration kit, it had 3 or 4 parts as I recall and was a lot of work and was still not very good. If I had to do it all over again I would check with a vinyl wrap shop or buy the vinyl and do it myself, big flat sides "shouldn't" be too hard
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

Brake cleaner is EXTREMELY strong stuff. I wouldn't put that on ANY painted surface, but that's me. That's coming from someone who goes through cases of it a year (I use it for lots of stuff, including cleaning metal before welding, and to clean car parts)

I use this, it was recommended to me by several different people, including some manufacturers. I've also noticed that many places that do RV cleaning use it too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZT3IO

I don't doubt yours is going to need some buffing, using a buffer with this may work as it's also a cleaner.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

I've done the compound routine with a buffer on cars and boats over the years and for sure it works but it involves a lot of labor and if you have a lot to do the arms get very tired using an electric buffer.

I came across Poli-Glow and checked out a bunch of reviews and YouTube videos. It looked promising so I gave it a go. Sure enough it was much easier to apply and it did restore the fading I had on the rear cap which is gelcoat. It can go over decals too. For gelcoat surfaces I plan to stick with it, not sure if it works on regular paint. You still have to go over the surface a few times with a wet glove but you don't have to do it holding a heavy machine, nor do you need to apply much pressure to the surface.

I have no interest in this company so this is just my own experience, your mileage may vary.

https://www.amazon.com/Poli-Glow-fib...ustomerReviews
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

Let me add that it has been on for 4-5 months and still got a shine. I did not apply any wax after the Poli-Glow but should've done that extra step.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

Question Protect All 62010 All Surface Cleaner

I watched the video clip for the Protect All 62010 All Surface Cleaner and like most video clips it makes the job look SO easy. I need to ask you if your experience with the product was as easy as the clip indicates or did it take much more elbow grease?
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

Cleaning

Brake fluid will remove paint, badf for paint and any of your skin you get in on. Look up auto paint cleaning compound, Meguiar's. I would try low abrasion first to see if that does it. Go to a light compound if needed. If you use compound, cover other parts of the trailer to avoid scrubbing it off. Then put a good wax on it. I use Meguiar's boat/RV liquid wax. Or, the Protect All you can put on w/ a large micro soft pad on a pole, wipe off after 5 minutes. I have tried everything except some of the new ceramic waxes, and find these 2 last as long as anything.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

Wax

Hello, I've tried a lot of different restorer waxes, and have found this one works and is easy to use with just hand waxing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's best to work in small areas - it doesn't need to stay on very long to work. Hope this helps...
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #10

In the past I've used a real inexpensive but very effective product to "restore" the shine on oxidized paint.

NuFinish.

Around $7-$8 at any Auto Parts store or Walmart.

An orbital buffer will help a lot for large areas.

This stuff does a great job as a polish. I use it for cleaning and polishing tarnished brass for my hobby I can't discuss here

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #11

Ceramic wax,,,WOW!! Great stuff. I use Turtle Wax HYBRID solutions wash and wax, and then the 3 in 1 detailer. But,, for first time use, wash your truck/trailer with say Dawn dish liquid. Then wash again with the ceramic w and wax. Follow directions on bottles. Then use the detailer over the wash and wax. You will love it. Follow those directions. Granted my truck and TT are both only 3yrs old. Goes on REAL easy! After the initial application its just maintain it. Very good on decals also. Go on you tube and watch the vids. This spring ,I'll use the ceramic wash and wax and then do the whole trailer with the 3 in 1 detailer. In my area it 'll be good for a year. My24ft TT is aluminum siding . You will love the shine!

P.S. I did my truck and TT with the detailer with less than one 32oz bottle. I put it on with one micro fiber rag, then immediately buff the area with a dry one.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #12

P.P.S. After you do the ceramic wash and wax, I believe it said somewhere, let it dry real good or towel dry it before you detail it.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #13

Suggestion on compound or wax

I found this product when we bought our first travel trailer. This product is not supposed to hurt the decals.
It is "Shurhold Pro Polish". It goes on easy and comes off easy. I bought it at West Marine.
https://shurhold.com/products/pro-polish-wax
https://www.westmarine.com/search?Nt...old+pro+polish
It last a long time and the trailer looks great when your done!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax