Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 42
Suspension - 2018 F53 Chassis

I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
leisurelarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 490
I can only speak to your #2. I have a 2015 30DS. I had an alignment done almost immediately. I did the cheap handling fix on the front and back axles also. The CHF alone was one of the best suspension improvements I've made to the chassis. In addition, I also added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Koni Frequency Selective Dampner shock absorbers all around. Those suspension improvements finished my suspension improvements. The coach has been a pleasure to drive since.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
1> I did the Blue Ox True Center on my 2017 F53. I love it. I think you should call Blue Ox to ask about your 2018 F53.

2> I also did the CHF. CHF is done on the stock sway bars.

Maybe you should look at the Blue Ox Rear Trac Bar for your FR3 32DS to reduce tail wag.

Let us know what you come up with.
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS | Boondock 90% of the time
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger | 600ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | SnapPads | SumoSprings | Koni Shocks
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 113
I have read numerous threads regarding suspension and I get thoroughly confused. if the CHF is the way to go for better handling, why is it not performed at factory. I have been thinking of sumo springs for my 32DS, and installing steering stabilizer. I am sure that with all the intelligent members on this forum there could a conscience on the way to improve handling and ride. I am not being a smart _ _ _, just like to know the way to proceed before I spend lots of money on suspension upgrades.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
I have read numerous threads regarding suspension and I get thoroughly confused. if the CHF is the way to go for better handling, why is it not performed at factory. I have been thinking of sumo springs for my 32DS, and installing steering stabilizer. I am sure that with all the intelligent members on this forum there could a conscience on the way to improve handling and ride. I am not being a smart _ _ _, just like to know the way to proceed before I spend lots of money on suspension upgrades.
I knew I would need a steering stabilizer and had the dealer install mine. It was installed a week after I took delivery. I drove my FR3 about 200 miles without the Blue Ox TruCenter. I have now driven over 7,000 miles with the TruCenter. When I have a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. When a Big Rig passes in the opposite direction, the wiper blades will shake, but the FR3 does not even sway. I am glad I installed it.

CHF is a suspension adjustment on the Ford F53. I have a dip in the road to our subdivision that would cause a sway whenever I drove over it. After the CHF, the same dip didn't sway the FR3.

On my last Class C, I installed Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs. It helped to stiffen the suspension. It cut down on the sway but you could feel every bump in the road. My wife did not like the ride.

My FR3 28DS F53 suspension is designed for 18,000 lb. If I am not go over the 18,000 lb, I do not need helper springs. I want a smoother ride. I keep my tires at the recommended 82 PSI. My wife enjoys the smooth ride.

Just my two cents. Life is good when my wife is happy.
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS | Boondock 90% of the time
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger | 600ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | SnapPads | SumoSprings | Koni Shocks
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
#1 Are you sure you have a 2018 chassis? It would mean your rig is a 2019 as the chassis is usually a year old after house is installed meaning if you have a 2018 the chassis is likely a 2017.


#3 e-trailer.com would be a good place to check proper fit for sumo springs, they usually fit going by GVWR which in your case is probably 18000 lb?.

OK to use those together, sounds like the right fit as I do remember the numbers from doing mine. Again, e-trailer very helpful and if you ask them a question they answer very quickly. Don't know if they handle BlueOx tru center.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
#1 Are you sure you have a 2018 chassis? It would mean your rig is a 2019 as the chassis is usually a year old after house is installed meaning if you have a 2018 the chassis is likely a 2017.


#3 e-trailer.com would be a good place to check proper fit for sumo springs, they usually fit going by GVWR which in your case is probably 18000 lb?.

OK to use those together, sounds like the right fit as I do remember the numbers from doing mine. Again, e-trailer very helpful and if you ask them a question they answer very quickly. Don't know if they handle BlueOx tru center.
E-trailer does handle Blue Ox tru center and it does appear there is no difference between 2017 and 2018. They have three different model to choose from.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I knew I would need a steering stabilizer and had the dealer install mine. It was installed a week after I took delivery. I drove my FR3 about 200 miles without the Blue Ox TruCenter. I have now driven over 7,000 miles with the TruCenter. When I have a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. When a Big Rig passes in the opposite direction, the wiper blades will shake, but the FR3 does not even sway. I am glad I installed it.

CHF is a suspension adjustment on the Ford F53. I have a dip in the road to our subdivision that would cause a sway whenever I drove over it. After the CHF, the same dip didn't sway the FR3.

On my last Class C, I installed Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs. It helped to stiffen the suspension. It cut down on the sway but you could feel every bump in the road. My wife did not like the ride.

My FR3 28DS F53 suspension is designed for 18,000 lb. If I am not go over the 18,000 lb, I do not need helper springs. I want a smoother ride. I keep my tires at the recommended 82 PSI. My wife enjoys the smooth ride.

Just my two cents. Life is good when my wife is happy.
I weighed my rig when loaded and found I was below Max axle weight. I did the calculations for pounds for PSI and can actually lower my tire air pressure to about 75 PSI front and 78 PSI rear, but I decided to keep it at 80 PSI just because. Also installed steering stabilizer, not Tru center but what a difference it made.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
lickem66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 130
As far as the Sumo springs, I contacted etrailer and they got right back to me on what I needed. Just give them the make/model/size/weight of your FR3. My 28DS came back with the SSF-170-40-2 for the fronts and the SSR-187-40-1 for the rears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
__________________
2016 FR3 28DS
Past 2012 Forest River Rockwood 2104.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 42
Thanks for feedback everyone, here's where I landed for my gameplan on Friday:

1) CHF using helpful tutorial from forums
2) Roadmaster 1139-145 Rear Anti-Sway Bar
3) Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer Unit with RBK22 Mounting Bracket
4) SumoSprings - SSF-170-40-2 in the front and SSR-187-54-1 in the rear. Called Sumo Springs in reference to this thread, and Ryan replied "My engineer thinks that the prescribed part will fit without issue. The part number is SSR-187-54-1."

Installing on Friday!
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Suspension - 2018 F53 Chassis

(2018 FR3 30DS Currently in the shop) We went with the following;
1) CHF
2) BlueOx steering control
3) new shocks
4) rear anti sway
5) new rear control arm
Items 2 - 5 came from Hendersonís Lineup from Grants Pass Oregon.

It cost about $4500 so far. I didnít go with the SumoSprings because I was told that it still is a rough ride but I have no way of verifying that. I figure that I can still add them if I need them.

I am still a little upset about having to make these adjustments to make it drive safely. I sure hope it is worth it.
Kylehove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Mike60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 29
Whats CHF stand for?, code words are killing me
Mike60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
leisurelarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike60 View Post
Whats CHF stand for?, code words are killing me


Cheap handling fix, an adjustment to the front and rear sway bars which tightens up the suspension and reduces side to side swaying of the coach. Cheap because it can be done without paying someone to do it as long as you can get under your rig and adjust the sway bars yourself. It's not difficult and doesn't take special tools. It was the first thing I personally performed on my suspension and it made a big difference in the way it handled (2015 30DS). Do a search for threads regarding the CHF.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylehove View Post
(2018 FR3 30DS Currently in the shop) We went with the following;
1) CHF
2) BlueOx steering control
3) new shocks
4) rear anti sway
5) new rear control arm
Items 2 - 5 came from Hendersonís Lineup from Grants Pass Oregon.

It cost about $4500 so far. I didnít go with the SumoSprings because I was told that it still is a rough ride but I have no way of verifying that. I figure that I can still add them if I need them.

I am still a little upset about having to make these adjustments to make it drive safely. I sure hope it is worth it.
Have heard good things about Henderson's Line Up shop and am planning on stopping there in travels someday. Just curious, did they not suggest an alignment? Seems to be an issue with the F53. Plan on putting the rear control arm on as I think my towed vehicle tends to push back end around especially going down hill on a curve. Don't notice it when not towing car.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
Thanks for feedback everyone, here's where I landed for my gameplan on Friday:

1) CHF using helpful tutorial from forums
2) Roadmaster 1139-145 Rear Anti-Sway Bar
3) Roadmaster RSSA Reflex Stabilizer Unit with RBK22 Mounting Bracket
4) SumoSprings - SSF-170-40-2 in the front and SSR-187-54-1 in the rear. Called Sumo Springs in reference to this thread, and Ryan replied "My engineer thinks that the prescribed part will fit without issue. The part number is SSR-187-54-1."

Installing on Friday!
Would appreciate if you could reply back on this thread when you get it all done and have road tested your rig. SSR-187-54-1 sumos carry the heaviest load of the three types (blue, black, yellow) so would like some input on how it affects harshness of ride, like going over potholes etc.
__________________
2017 FR3 28 DS
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 19
Just put on Sumo springs on our 2017 FR3 29 DS. This is the last suspension up grade I am doing.Not really impressed, considering the $1,000 investment. The CHF made a noticeable difference and a steering stablizer is a smart investment making the coach easier to drive. Donít forget air pressure. It is a process figuring out how and what to add or adjust to make your unit drive and ride in a safe and comfortable fashion.
Gary Heeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,921
Contact supersprings directly and have your gvwr ready as there are different combinations. Also, they are 25% off on their site until Xmas.
__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
on my last coach..trading it in today, I did sumo's front and rear, new bilstien shocks, road master front and rear sway bars, the front you take out, and the rear is and add... but I have found this to be true...on every f53 I have come across... the front sway bar is frozen in because they don't grease it at the factory... meaning you need a floor jack to move it when you try to do the chfÖ.I have done the chf for years... before it was called the CHF... but...what I do is move it to the shorter position to see if I need a bigger sway bar... shortening the sway bar makes for a stiff ride when the tire on one sideonly hits a bump...just M.O. but there is a multitude that say different...you will notice a big difference with it greased...next the shocks...while try'n to figure out why my coach bangs across tar strips, I wanted to know why,... guys run across the desert at 100 plus mph and ride smoother than my rv...there's a bad road right down the street from my house...did one change at a time... greased the sway bar, greats results in the right direction ...next, I took the shocks complete out... wow!!! what a smooth ride...so I call bilstienÖ whats the deal with these shocks...come to find out... they are not really bilstien shocks... but a shock man. for ford with fords spec. so, I ordered the after market shocks from bilstien...huge improvement...they are gas charged, and work great...next,.. sumo's sumo's start out one size fits all... but you have to tune to you app...you run in to all kinds of different problems to look for first...wires, gas lines and such, and sometimes there just isn't room...some time to get the best result, they need to go behind the rear, some times in front...some time you can get 8'' bags, some times only 7'', and I have done some with the 6''...next, the durometer..soft med. and hard... this is gonna depend on how loaded you run your coach,.. and where the weight is... I try to load between the axels, but the builders always give you nice storage in the over hang part,.. so first thing I do is run across the scales... load the coach and re way... I also measure from the ground to the trim at each wheel on flat ground...I most always tow a heavy trailer, so what I do won't work for someone who doesn't tow, or tows a car flat ground... so on the summo's most all of the people that don't like the results, I have helped to where they like them..there really isn't that much movement on the rear,,,,but the front, different story... to stiff of bag...bouncey...
RVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 42
Reporting back after our first 500 mile roundtrip - 32DS handled soooo much better than the inaugural 3 hour drive from Elkhart. When I read about people saying 'I went from white knuckled to one-handed at 70mph+" I thought ... yeah right. But then I experienced it, and it was great!

Roadmaster steering stabilizer makes noticeable improvement in lane-keeping. Drove back in 30mph wind gusts from south last night (left early due to 50mph+ gusts forecasted today...) and I could feel it working for me. Had to drive 65mph instead of 70mph through that area, but not sure if I would have even been comfortable driving before installing it.

Rear Sway + Sumo Springs + CHF have really tightened things up too - significantly less sway. I'm a believer!
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 47
I had a bad sway issue in the rear on my 2001 36 ft Bounder and bad steering. All I did was add an extra leaf spring in the rear, Total cost $700.00. Now with back raised 2'' there is no more sway the unit steers nice and straight. I am pulling a car with a tow dolly. Still have the original shocks.
steven skare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suspension

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.