Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Thinking of buying an FR3

We've owned a Sunseeker for the past 2 years. We are considering a trade for an FR3 DS30. Just looking for comments on the differences in handling a small class A. The DS30 is the same basic size as our Sunseeker, but boy does it seem big!
mtnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

I went from a Coachman Freelander 2600 to a FR3 30DS. Visibility is much better in the FR3. The FR3 suspension is softer, it feels like an old Oldsmobile, while I thought the Class 3 felt like a U-Haul box truck. It's fine on the highway but it's got a big rear end swing and you really have to think ahead in tight spots like gassing up or backing into a camp site. That said, it took me about 2000 miles to fully adjust to it, after that, its a big old boat, but a predictable big old boat and I feel very safe in it. My FR3 is totally stock, I haven't even done the Cheap Handling Fix.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #3

Four winds chateau to fr3 ds30

Jim, last Feb. we went from a 30 ft. Four Winds Chateau class C to a 2015 FR3 DS30. Have no regrets a year later and have been very happy with it. It felt like a big jump but settled into it pretty quick. Of coarse you need to make it your own and I made several changes to it over the year but everything was worth it. Can't beat the wide open living space and the one level floor is great. King size bed is great for that size and the outside storage is much better from the class C. The sofa bed with the foot rest are terrible and I replaced it with 2 recliners with center console. Getting a good alignment is imperative, keeping your weight spread out and proper tire inflation will have you cruising down the road smoothly. Remembering it is not a high dollar Class A you will be very pleased with it. I think it is a very good unit for the price.
Hope this helps. On my way to Alpine, Texas tomorrow.

Regards,
Joe
smithvilletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Thank you both for your input! We're going tomorrow morning to a local dealer for a closer look at an FR3.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #5

Bought our 2017 FR3 28DS new and have not had a lot of issues with it. Just the usual small easily fixable things that come up from time to time.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeeper View Post
We've owned a Sunseeker for the past 2 years. We are considering a trade for an FR3 DS30. Just looking for comments on the differences in handling a small class A. The DS30 is the same basic size as our Sunseeker, but boy does it seem big!
What are you asking for your class c or if you trade, what dealership will you use.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

We just returned about 30 mins ago from a camping trip in our 2015 FR3 30DS. We purchased it new and go camping as often as possible. We love it and so far have not had any major issues with it. We did a lot of research before buying ours and really enjoy it. It drives great and has plenty of power to climb any mountain rd.
depmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
What are you asking for your class c or if you trade, what dealership will you use.
As of now we're planning to trade, but that could change. We're dealing with John's RV in Lexington SC.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithvilletx View Post
Jim, last Feb. we went from a 30 ft. Four Winds Chateau class C to a 2015 FR3 DS30. Have no regrets a year later and have been very happy with it. It felt like a big jump but settled into it pretty quick. Of coarse you need to make it your own and I made several changes to it over the year but everything was worth it. Can't beat the wide open living space and the one level floor is great. King size bed is great for that size and the outside storage is much better from the class C. The sofa bed with the foot rest are terrible and I replaced it with 2 recliners with center console. Getting a good alignment is imperative, keeping your weight spread out and proper tire inflation will have you cruising down the road smoothly. Remembering it is not a high dollar Class A you will be very pleased with it. I think it is a very good unit for the price.

Hope this helps. On my way to Alpine, Texas tomorrow.

Regards,

Joe
The one we looked at today has theater seats. They are nice! We're working on a deal now. Didn't get a chance to drive it today but I will before any decision is finalized. Thanks and safe travels!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by depmgt View Post
We just returned about 30 mins ago from a camping trip in our 2015 FR3 30DS. We purchased it new and go camping as often as possible. We love it and so far have not had any major issues with it. We did a lot of research before buying ours and really enjoy it. It drives great and has plenty of power to climb any mountain rd.
We've done a lot of research and this one checks most of our boxes, especially the major ones. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #11

We moved from a Class C to our 2018 FR3 28DS and love it.
See my older threads:
Thinking of purchasing a FR3 28DS

New 2018 FR3 28DS
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
We moved from a Class C to our 2018 FR3 28DS and love it.

See my older threads:

Thinking of purchasing a FR3 28DS

New 2018 FR3 28DS
Thanks for the links. I read them from start to finish! Lots of good info.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
FR3 Grampy

In 2014 I made the jump from a class "C" to the FR3...25DS. It's a small class "A" and we love it. The only thing i found hard to get use to was the optical illusion i got from looking outside as i was driving down the road. Because of the huge one piece windshield, i got the impression the i was going to hit every mailbox on the right side of the road. Don't know why but it just looked like i was. It took me 3 days to get use to this illusion. I had to keep telling myself that this camper was no wider than the road. Now i'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because i had never driven a class "A" before??? Anyway, i hope you enjoy your FR3, i know i am.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmarm View Post
In 2014 I made the jump from a class "C" to the FR3...25DS. It's a small class "A" and we love it. The only thing i found hard to get use to was the optical illusion i got from looking outside as i was driving down the road. Because of the huge one piece windshield, i got the impression the i was going to hit every mailbox on the right side of the road. Don't know why but it just looked like i was. It took me 3 days to get use to this illusion. I had to keep telling myself that this camper was no wider than the road. Now i'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because i had never driven a class "A" before??? Anyway, i hope you enjoy your FR3, i know i am.
What I was taught, and it works, is to use your side mirrors to see the white lane lines while you're getting used to it.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #15

We're almost there! We'll pick up our new FR3 this Thursday. The only outstanding item is an extended warranty. I don't want one, but my wife does. I'll probably get coverage somewhere. You know what they say; happy wife, happy life! Our dealer is pushing RV Elite+ Motorhome coverage. I found Xtra Ride Platinum coverage at Eagle Vision RV for less money and a year longer coverage. Does anyone have experience with Eagle Vision? I've seen good comments on the forum about Xtra Ride.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnjeeper View Post
Wife and I went to Hersey last sept and looked at the FR3 30DS and fell in love with it. Bought one last Oct with theater seats. However, In Jan this year we saw the FR3 33DS at the Tampa show and as a result we wished we had seen it first. Much better and more spacious. Bigger pantry, bigger bathroom with space for the combo washer/dryer.
OH well, you live with what you have and make do.
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsthecat View Post
Wife and I went to Hersey last sept and looked at the FR3 30DS and fell in love with it. Bought one last Oct with theater seats. However, In Jan this year we saw the FR3 33DS at the Tampa show and as a result we wished we had seen it first. Much better and more spacious. Bigger pantry, bigger bathroom with space for the combo washer/dryer.

OH well, you live with what you have and make do.
We have the theater seats and it's prepped for the washer/dryer combo unit. It has more storage and a bigger shower than our sunseeker. We can't wait to get it on the road!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #18

I would also get the unit with 50A and 2 AC units, especially if summer camping in the south.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjstangelo View Post
I would also get the unit with 50A and 2 AC units, especially if summer camping in the south.
We have the 50A unit with 2 ACs. Front AC is a heat pump for our mild winters.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmarm View Post
I find myself closer to the right line also. I watch the mirrors to stay in check but I found that the top left corner of the instrument cluster placed on the left line puts me right in the center. This is how we taxi airplanes since we are on the left and use a centerline to follow. We find something in the cockpit to use as a sight for the line.
Neilthepilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3