Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Tips for buying used

I'm heading to MHSRV to buy a used 2017 FR3 32ds on Monday. Any suggestions on biggest things to look for that can go bad early that should cause to me to run away?

Price is great but buying "as is" since its used. The only dealership within 90 miles of me switched to Thor this year so a local dealer doesn't exist.

We sold our hybrid in preparation for this step and I am excited/terrified at making the leap.

I've got my long checklist in tow but any suggestions would be great.

my wife is separating from AF after 13 years and we are planning to take our 3 kids (6,8,10) out of school for spring semester to travel for 5 months
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Open everything, test everything that turns on including the generator, test the jacks, test the slides, get on the roof and check the seals. That's all I got right now. Good luck! Hope it works out!
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

I also bought used. The store that I bought at was also a consignment store and the unit that I wanted was actually not thiers. So after a full check out I offered about 15,000 less than asking price which wasn't to bad to begin with. The store did not want to accept an I finally got salesman to call owner who accepted very low bid. The main reason he agreed is that they had used 1 time and wife did not like camping and did not want to take back to Iowa' So I gat a 6 month old unit about 20,000 less than cost.
RSBivings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #4

thanks,

I'm hoping that's how my purchase turns out.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #5

Our issues when we looked at pre-owned units were smokers and pets.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Check the plumbing, about every thing else can be fixed without tearing the unit apart
Have them put water in the fresh water holding tank.
Turn on the pump and run some water in a sink.
Turn the pump off, and do a walk around. Come back in about 10 minutes and turn the pump on again. If you hear it cycle, YOU HAVE A LEAK, don't walk but RUN away.
If it doesn't the plumbing is good.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

Over the years I've bought several used motorhomes. I have a clecklist of things to check and have upgraded it. Your welcome to copy and us it, its in Microsoft word format

Goto my downloads page and its all the way near the bottom, PrePurchase_Mar_17-1.doc :

1999 Southwind DOWNLOAD

On the F53 chassis the rear sway bar to axle mount bolts have a habit of falling out, verify these are installed and tight (I recommend removing the bolts use blue locktite and reinstall and torque to 65 ft lbs.

Also check and see if the CHF has been performed on the front and rear.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

will check the water that way--thanks

waiter21--I like the checklist its better targeted by location than what I was using. I am going to try to perform the CHF on the dealer lot if it hasn't been done--700 mile drive home
Old 08-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Curiouser and Curiouser

We bought used also. We were careful to buy from a dealer with a good reputation for both sales and service. We negotiated for the highest level of extended warranty (bumper to bumper warranty on coach) for one year and that the warranty was extendable at the same price if we decided to renew. No did not include coverage for the Ford Chassis as it carries a 3 year transferrable warranty.

We were so glad we negotiated for the warranty because you just can't check everything without staying in the coach for a few nights. We had a number of things that needed to be addressed even though we had spent more than an hour checking everything we could think of at the dealership. The warranty covered everything with a single $55.00 charge. I have read reviews that were highly critical of warranties, but our experience has been very positive.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #10

Check the walls for water marks (leaks) that's what the dealer told us when we were looking at a used TT.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Open everything, test everything that turns on including the generator, test the jacks, test the slides, get on the roof and check the seals. That's all I got right now. Good luck! Hope it works out!
Also check all interior seams, window frames, etc. for water leaks, including inside the cabinets. Walk the floor slowly and carefully. Exert pressure on the floor as you go to see if there is a soft floor or squeaky floor. These areas can cause you grief in the future.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #12

Would you buy a used "brick and stick", without an inspection? I would spend a couple bucks and have MH independently inspected.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

water damage, water damage, water damage.
Its a great reminder and exactly what caused damage in my old rockwood roo.
I hate delamination.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
Would you buy a used "brick and stick", without an inspection? I would spend a couple bucks and have MH independently inspected.
With qualifications. Having owned campers for nearly my whole adult life, I would trust my instincts as well as that of DW's. We have also built, bought and sold several bricks and sticks by owner. Having retired from a long term career, I became a Realtor.

We did our own inspection on one prospective home and found a failed roof truss. This material defect was under the insulation and I doubt a home inspector would have found it. The contractor that built the home had to have known the webbing plates were torn loose and the webbing was off of the truss. The owners and their agent offered a $250 escrow to do the repair. It would require a structural engineering inspection/recommendation, a building permit, a licensed building contractor to do the repair and another engineer's inspection to certify the repair. Well, not for us and goodbye. The agent still tried to force us to close, but we filed a complaint with the state real estate commission and won. The broker was require to take and pass the broker's course and was put on probation.

On another occasion, working as a realtor representing a buyer, a professional home inspection was ordered. This inspector was widely used and respected.
I had used him several times for other transactions. When the buyers took possession, they called me to complain of noises in the attic. Going to the crawl space access, they could see trails through the insulation. They were novices. It was not hard to detect that there was a rat infestation in the attic.
It was embarrassing to me. The inspector was in the attic on the inspection. But it was a building inspection, not termites and rodents. It would have been common sense to mention it verbally or in the report. The state licensing agency agreed and he was reprimanded.

So, the point is, if you have the knowledge and feel qualified to do your own inspection and make a mistake, you live and learn by it. When I was showing properties and noted material defects, I pointed them out to the buyers. It was then up to them if they wanted to consider that home. Most often, it never got to a professional inspection. And if it did, it was a price negotiating tool. When working the seller's end, I brought up any material defects and made sure they were either fixed or noted in the listing reports. Many agents, depending on the company they were associated with, played dumb and buyer beware.

If a professional makes a mistake, there is not a whole lot of recourse unless you want to take them to court. You may not necessarily get what you paid for.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote