Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

To winterize or not to winterize?

We are leaving south central Pennsylvania for Myrtle Beach on our way to the Florida Keys on December 2nd. My dilemma is whether I need to winterize the FR3 before we leave. We store the FR3 inside a large metal barn on a local farm along with a couple other motorhomes and trailers. The barn is not heated but there is 50amp service available.
My thoughts are to plug our 30amp extension cord into the 50amp source (our 25’ cord from the FR3 won’t reach the 50amp plug) which will give me 30amp power to the FR3. That should keep the hot water going and also power the ArcticPak heaters for the fresh, black and grey tanks. Then turn on the furnace and set the thermostat to 45 degress to keep the pipes in the coach from freezing in case of temperatures dropping below freezing.
We don’t normally get many days below freezing in South central Pennsylvania before mid December but I just want to take a few steps to ensure we’re good to go on December 2nd. Looking for some advice, any thoughts?
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

Couldnt you bypass your hw heater and drain it? Why make hot water to just sit there?

I know the area. With your mild temps you might consider just adding rv antifreeze to the drains and traps.

Be prepared with a "plan B" if abnormally cold air moves in.

As for your furnace, can you safely run it in an enclosed space? I get it, it's a large barn, but there are byproducts from combustion that probably aren't healthy.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #3
REL

I live outside if Gettysburg Pa. I also keep my camper in an unheated un insulated pole barn. In the last two years I have done this it did not drop below freezing IN THE BARN until January. I usually don't winterize until dirt bike racing season is over in mid- December.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize