Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Newbie: Damage to Toad from Flat/Dolly Towing?

We are newbies to towing an auto behind a Class A MH. We will be looking at a FR3 30DS and either flat towing or dollying a MINI behind it. My newbie questions are NOT which towing method to pursue but, for now, concern the possible damage to the body of the toad from rocks and debris.

1. How likely is damage going to occur from rocks and debris when on the interstates?

2. Is one method of towing less likely to reduce rock and debris damage?

3. Will MH mud flaps and one of those full wide "brush flaps" mounted to the rear of the MH eliminate rock and debris damage?

Thank you in advance for your patience and information! I am trying to cross the "T"s and dot the "I"s before leaping into all the towing towing decisions.

Theo
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

1) I'd say low risk.

2) I'd say that dolly would be slightly less susceptible to damage than flat. i.e. front tires are off ground and riding higher. If you did run over something, the dolly would run over it and not the front end of the toad.

3) I would say brushes would help reduce damage. They would catch stuff that gets kicked up, as long as they are not dragging the ground and kicking stuff up.

With all that said. We usually make the car wash our first stop when unhooking the Toad
Old 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Toad Damage When Towing??

Sorry for the cross-post, but I posted this on the Towing Forum and only received 1 reply. I thought that other FR3 owners might have more insight on the subject of damage to toads when flat/dolly towing.

We are newbies to towing an auto behind a Class A MH. We will be looking at a FR3 30DS and either flat towing or dollying a MINI behind it. My newbie questions are NOT which towing method to pursue but, for now, concern the possible damage to the body of the toad from rocks and debris.

1. How likely is damage going to occur from rocks and debris when on the interstates?

3. Will MH mud flaps and one of those full wide "brush skirts" mounted to the rear of the MH eliminate rock and debris damage?

4. Do I really need one of those monstrous (and $$$$) deflector-thingys mounted to the tow bar/dolly?

Thank you in advance for your patience and information! I am trying to cross the "T"s and dot the "I"s before leaping into the MH and all the towing towing decisions.

Theo
Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Toad Towing

I have a Jeep Wrangler that I have flat towed for several years with no damage to my toad. My first MH did not have the sweeper thing as you call it. My current MH has has a full width flap at the rear of the rig.

I have towed with a dolly - probably a bit more protection for the toad. But I hated it! Much prefer flat towing. I can hook up or unhook in less than 5 minutes without getting dirty. Also, I feel 10x more confident of the security of flat towing over dollies with their straps, weaker ball hitches, etc.

Of course your choice of towing depends on you Mini - I know of several people who flat tow manual transmission minis. However, I do not think Mini recommends flat towing.

Good luck.
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Theo.....

Anyone who tells you that you won't suffer some form of damage when towing a vehicle 3 feet behind a motorhome will have a nose that grows when they tell you so!

Interstates have the least amount of substantial stones, but speeds are higher for the grit they do have.

Flat towing vs dolly....probably doesn't matter much.

Brush skirts vs solid rubber skirts.....well, stones and such will get through the brush but don't stand as much a chance against solid rubber.

I don't tow a brand new vehicle because of the frontal attack they'll face when being towed. There's all kinds of deals on slightly used tow vehicles that may already have a few "war wounds".

It's a fact of nature a toad will show it's tail-gating something.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Been flat towing our 2013 Subaru Crosstrek for 3 years and 14,000 miles. Other than getting dirty, just a few paint chips. Have more rock chips from everyday driving than from towing.
Only mud flaps are the factory installed ones just behind the dual rear wheels.
Planning on a 3 month trip to Canada and Alaska next year, and don't plan on doing or adding anything special xcept maybe an outer windshield cover for the Subi.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Sorry for the cross-post, but I posted this on the Towing Forum and only received 1 reply. I thought that other FR3 owners might have more insight on the subject of damage to toads when flat/dolly towing.

3. Will MH mud flaps and one of those full wide "brush skirts" mounted to the rear of the MH eliminate rock and debris damage?

4. Do I really need one of those monstrous (and $$$$) deflector-thingys mounted to the tow bar/dolly?

Thank you in advance for your patience and information! I am trying to cross the "T"s and dot the "I"s before leaping into the MH and all the towing towing decisions.

Theo
Check out the following website. Protect-a-Tow

We use it every time we flat-tow our CRV, and love it! It advertises that it can be used with tow dollies also.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #8

I've been flat towing a Jeep behind vehicles such as: 1986 Dodge Ram Charger 4x4, 1999 GMC Z71 4x4 truck, 1985 Ford Rock Wood 26' class C, 1999 Class A Fleet Wood Flair 28' and now a 2015 FR3 30DS Class A. I've towed a 84 CJ-7, 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door, 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK and a Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471556096.185370.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	117733
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door over the past 30+ years all over the lower 48, on the ALCAN highway, and in Alaska. I've never had one speck of trouble. But l watch the road, l don't tail gate, and I look for gators along the road. But I suppose now that I've posted this the next time I'm towing everything will go up in flames.😳
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Been flat towing our 2013 Subaru Crosstrek for 3 years and 14,000 miles. Other than getting dirty, just a few paint chips. Have more rock chips from everyday driving than from towing.
Only mud flaps are the factory installed ones just behind the dual rear wheels.
Planning on a 3 month trip to Canada and Alaska next year, and don't plan on doing or adding anything special xcept maybe an outer windshield cover for the Subi.
Grumpy

Didn't know Subarus can be flat towed.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Didn't know Subarus can be flat towed.
Manual tranny's only. In 2016 they changed their policy to no flat towing recommended. No change in tranny's between earlier years and 2016. Subi just didn't want to deal from damage caused by owners who didn't follow instructions and damaged the veh. Some numnuts were driving off with trans in gear which totally destroys trans and transfer/all wheel drive unit.
Then they claimed warranty work be done.
Grumpy

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Check out the following website. Protect-a-Tow

We use it every time we flat-tow our CRV, and love it! It advertises that it can be used with tow dollies also.
Interesting product! I'll have to make sure the MINI is at least 54" wide!

Theo
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #12

I have been towing my Volkswagon EOS on a tow dolly for three years. No damage has occurred. Would not change a tow dolly for towing all four down.
Sgtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Manual tranny's only. In 2016 they changed their policy to no flat towing recommended. No change in tranny's between earlier years and 2016. Subi just didn't want to deal from damage caused by owners who didn't follow instructions and damaged the veh. Some numnuts were driving off with trans in gear which totally destroys trans and transfer/all wheel drive unit.

Then they claimed warranty work be done.

Grumpy

Aw 10-4. My wife drives subaru and we have owned em all. We even had one of the burnt orange cross treks. Now she has a 2016 forester. They have all been automatics. I'd love to set her car up for flat towing. Oh well. Thanks for the info eh.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Aw 10-4. My wife drives subaru and we have owned em all. We even had one of the burnt orange cross treks. Now she has a 2016 forester. They have all been automatics. I'd love to set her car up for flat towing. Oh well. Thanks for the info eh.
Not to get off OP subject but...
Do not flat tow an automatic/cvt equipped Subi. A Subi with an auto/cvt tranny MUST be on a dolly or flatbed tow truck to be moved.
Grumpy

Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

If your towing something like a pick up or jeep think damage be minimal , I tow flat a fiat, it's low to ground, sooo. Got a few rock chips on paint, I use a front end bra. Nothing I did not expect .
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

Our first 1000 mile trip towing I got a couple of rock chips low on the front. After that I bought and installed the Roadmaster Tow Defender which is a screen that fits over my Falcon2. Since installing I have towed about 1500 miles with no new chips. In my opinion, less money than the body work it would take to repair the damage done.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #17

There is no way around it the front of the car is going to get beat up I have the mud flap got the full bra it's a 0/12 Kia Soul it's been towed about 25 k back of the MH got it new going to drag it till the wheels fall off
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #18

Check your tow bar angle...

I read your post, and the first thing that jumped out at me is to be sure to check the angle of your tow bar. Having driven a Mini for several years, it is very low to the ground. Not familiar with your coach, but I would imagine the hitch is quite high. I've read up on several tow bars, and as I recall, they specify that the tow bar should be very close to level when hooked up. Just a thought to check the website for your particular tow bar - you may need to use some form of drop hitch to maintain tow stability (such as BX88241 7” Rise/Drop Receiver, 10,000 lbs, 12” long | Blue Ox).

Every body has their preference for dolly/flat/trailer towing. I'm firmly in the flat-towing camp for many reasons. First, my coach is 44' long, and I tow a Yukon XL behind. Several times I have found the need to disconnect to maneuver (Sad to say, usually because I made a wrong turn ). With flat towing, I can disconnect, maneuver an re-connect in 10-15 minutes.

I also have to rent a garage to store my coach. The deepest garage I've ever been able to find is 50' deep. Not much room left for a dolly or trailer - and I don't want to rent additional storage space.

Regarding tow damage: RV's kick up debris from the wheels. I believe the higher ground clearance you tow vehicle has, the less of a problem debris will be. My toad sits comparatively high, but I've bought a Blue Ox Kar Gard screen (BX88255 KarGard II | Blue Ox) to go between the coach and toad. Not sure if it will be a problem, but the toad is new and I really don't want to chip it up!

Best of luck to you!

Cheers!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

I have a Blue Ox setup with the Blue Ox car guard that sits on top of the tow bar. the only damage I got so far was my own fault leaving the center rod out causing the guard to put a chip in my bumper no big deal. Roadmaster also has a similar setup
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #20

2014 and older Honda CRV and all Honda Element's can be flat towed with exceptional success. The Elements back seats fold flat and up revealing storage space of a 1/4 ton truck. I put 3bicycles when traveling and lots of 2x4, 6-8 sand or concrete bags, mulch bags ect: when day to day driving. Roadmaster Falcon II hitch and Invisibrake as 30+ states require a toad brake. Camping world has the towing parts and when you get a sale on parts and labor it runs approx $2k to buy and install including the Invisibrake
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, toad, towing