Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Top Bunk

I lowered the top bunk and then wondered how do you get up there?

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

I don't, it's for the grandkids and they don't have a problem.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

There is nice ladder from Strohmberg Carlson. I got mine at e-trailer.com for about 59.00 plus shipping. Black looks nice and I padded the top hooks with felt self stick strips. The 60" size is perfect, sits in corner when not being used and stored on the bunk when it is closed. I am 6' 2" and 235 and it works fine for me.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I'm curious Enconcapt. Are you able to hook the ladder to the top of the bunk rail? And is the ladder more straight up and down or at a slant. My grandkids (5 & 4 yrs. old) will be using the bunk and we'd rather the ladder be at an angle for safety reasons.

Appreciate the input!

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

The ladder comes with two options for the top. The one I use is a very strong square hook type that will grab the bunk rail. I padded mine with some stick on felt strips. They include the parts so you can mount two brackets to the face of the bunk rail and then use a smaller hook that grabs those brackets. The first option lets you use it anyplace, but it may move away from your the kids thought it was. The second unit means it is always in the same place.

It comes the proper length so the bottom is tipped out about 11 inches from vertical, it looks like the proper angle. If you want it less steep they make a longer one and you can remove the rubber caps from the bottom and take some off if you want to adjust it.

For big people the shorter steeper one is a must but for smaller guys the longer one should be good for many years.

Good luck, I am sure they will love it, and there are lots of neat places to hide stuff up there.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how high the bunk is in an FR3, but if the kids are 5 and 4 you might want to consider a portable railing too. At 4 and 3 both of mine fall out of their bunks in my TT. I won't let them sleep anywhere they need a ladder to get into.

I know the bunk over a cab is a lot wider than a bunk in a bunkhouse, but still, why take chances right?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thanks Enconcapt. Sounds like that ladder is just the ticket.

And thank you also Kaadk. We had a railing made that slides under the mattress and goes in far enough that it won't slip or fall out.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Motoring

I want to put up a net on the bunk. Otherwise my kid will fall off when he's sleeping. Any ideas?
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote