Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #21

FR3 Towing Limits

Below is a link to the 2018 FORD F53 Motorhome Chassis that lists towing limits per weight and axle ratio. Warranty hotline phone numbers included.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...CA_03_2017.pdf
Old 02-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatesMotel2 View Post
Below is a link to the 2018 FORD F53 Motorhome Chassis that lists towing limits per weight and axle ratio. Warranty hotline phone numbers included.

Thanks!
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #23

Here's the 2021 if anyone is interested.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...US_11_2020.pdf
Old 05-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #24

Quote:

So am I reading this correctly? 5500 is the limit so would need to up the hitch?
Old 05-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #25

FR3 Towing Limits

You could upgrade to a 10K hitch for peace of mind. We towed a 3500lb car on a 2000lb trailer for 3 years with no issues @ 8mpg.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #26

Quote:
You could upgrade to a 10K hitch for peace of mind. We towed a 3500lb car on a 2000lb trailer for 3 years with no issues @ 8mpg.

Awesome. I have been considering using my f150 as my toad as the Scion xB we currently use doesn’t meet our needs. The f150 was 5200 with full tank of gas so was on fence but now it seems an option
Old 05-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepaul1975 View Post
Awesome. I have been considering using my f150 as my toad as the Scion xB we currently use doesn’t meet our needs. The f150 was 5200 with full tank of gas so was on fence but now it seems an option

Consider you will have 5200 static lbs behind pushing when you stop. Rating also considers other factors such as braking. You will definitely want to install a braking system in the f150. There are many choices. I use RVI3 brake system.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Consider you will have 5200 static lbs behind pushing when you stop. Rating also considers other factors such as braking. You will definitely want to install a braking system in the f150. There are many choices. I use RVI3 brake system.

No doubt. For sure would use braking system in f150
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick g View Post
Anyone else have thoughts or experience on this?
I'm very interested in this too. I'll be pulling a Chevy Spark (2200 punds) and would like to add a hitchmount for a 300 pound scooter. Overall weight not an issue but tongue weight is far exceeded. I've read the dual adapter I'd need for the receiver reduces tounge weight limit by 50 percent. Ouch!
Old 11-16-2023, 07:53 PM   #30

FR3 Towing a Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon

We have a 2018 FR3 30DS and want to flat tow a Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon with it's own braking system. I'm about 200 pounds over the 5K but feel like I need to give this a try. Anyone else flat tow anything like this over 5K? I am going to upgrade the towing bar to a 10K but I think that is all I need to do. Any thoughts?
Kylehove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #31
FR3 Regional Sales

Send a message via ICQ to Barry Hughes
The spec from FORD on the F-53 chassis we use to build the FR3 on is stated in the FORD chassis literature to have a tow capacity of 5000 lbs.
(20,000 lb chassis with a 228" WB)
Barry Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #32
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylehove View Post
We have a 2018 FR3 30DS and want to flat tow a Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon with it's own braking system. I'm about 200 pounds over the 5K but feel like I need to give this a try. Anyone else flat tow anything like this over 5K? I am going to upgrade the towing bar to a 10K but I think that is all I need to do. Any thoughts?
I guess there’s always someone trying to push the envelope.
Limits are posted for a reason.
Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #33

Have you actually gotten a real weight on the Jeep? These cars come off the assembly line every 4 minutes and get placarded with the "Average weight". Yours might be lore or less. It's $13 at a cat scale to drive on, Push the button to register the weight, then go inside and pay and get the print out. Not sure why people don't do it.
2008 Aliner Classic with Many Mods (in Rehab)
2020 FR Wolf Pup - 660watts Solar, 300AH LiFePO4, Inverter, WFCO-LIS converter, And many mods
GoingNoWhereFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #34

Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNoWhereFast View Post
Have you actually gotten a real weight on the Jeep? These cars come off the assembly line every 4 minutes and get placarded with the "Average weight". Yours might be lore or less. It's $13 at a cat scale to drive on, Push the button to register the weight, then go inside and pay and get the print out. Not sure why people don't do it.
Are you sure about the "average weight?" Since the entire build is managed by a computer which even prints the spec sheet for the window and sets up a lifetime record of the VIN and every accessory on the unit, it would be a Simple Matter of Programming (SMOP) to calculate the sum of the base vehicle weight and the weights of all the options and print that sum on door sticker.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNoWhereFast View Post
Agree that there's no substitute for a CAT scale weigh-in, but disagree about getting placarded with an 'average weight'. Since CCC is curb weight (allowing for a full tank of fuel) subtracted from GVWR I wouldn't think they'd slap an 'average' on the sticker. There's is such a wild swing in vehicle weights depending on trim level, selected options, cab and drive configurations and since GVWR is a mandated rating, don't think they would estimate.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:19 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Hughes View Post
The spec from FORD on the F-53 chassis we use to build the FR3 on is stated in the FORD chassis literature to have a tow capacity of 5000 lbs.
In case some don't realize this, Barry is a FR rep and probably from the FR3 division. So take his information seriously.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Are you sure about the "average weight?" Since the entire build is managed by a computer which even prints the spec sheet for the window and sets up a lifetime record of the VIN and every accessory on the unit, it would be a Simple Matter of Programming (SMOP) to calculate the sum of the base vehicle weight and the weights of all the options and print that sum on door sticker.

Sorry, not very clear. Yes every vehicle is independently tagged by a computer system that sums the weight of the components. But having worked for Chrysler and Frightliner, The variability in parts weight can make that weight off by a large margin. Very few actually weigh the vehicle before it is tagged. And then post the assembly, there is often customizing that can add or reduce weight by substituting parts. A CAT scale weight will surprise you!!
2008 Aliner Classic with Many Mods (in Rehab)
2020 FR Wolf Pup - 660watts Solar, 300AH LiFePO4, Inverter, WFCO-LIS converter, And many mods
GoingNoWhereFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:58 PM   #38
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Hughes

Are you certain about that? Ignore the yellow highlighted one in the pic; that's ours.

Ford does make a 20,500 lb GVWR F53 chassis on the 228" wheelbase but it has a GCWR of 26,000 lbs and a maximum trailering weight of 5,500 lbs.

The next hitch size up from 5,000 lbs is 7,500 lbs and I know that the Georgetown division will not install an over-rated hitch because people often think they can tow up to the hitch weight all the time. That's why even their 24,000 GVWR/30,000 GCWR chassis gets a 5,000 lb hitch when its maximum trailering weight is 6,000 lbs.

That's certainly far better than a certain other motorhome manufacturer who advertises their Ford F53 motorhomes have a "towing capacity" of 8,000 lbs simply because they install an 8,000 lb hitch. As with most things, their "large print" gives and their "fine print" takes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylehove
I'm about 200 pounds over the 5K but feel like I need to give this a try. Anyone else flat tow anything like this over 5K? I am going to upgrade the towing bar to a 10K but I think that is all I need to do. Any thoughts?
I would never even try to tow 5,000 lbs on a 5,000 lb hitch. Even 4,500 lbs would be pushing it for me.

You will hear people going on and on about "safety factors" and yes, they are there, but no one knows how much.

In addition, those safety factors are intended to give acceptable performance even though the "thing" has deteriorated through stresses, rust, metal fatigue, you name it. Your hitch is probably six to seven years old right now.

If this were mine I would take the motorhome to a reputable trailer shop and have them install a 7,500 lb rated hitch and make whatever chassis reinforcements they deem necessary. You still could not tow 7,500 lbs but you sure as heck would be a lot better off towing what you already tow.

Good plan for the tow bar. I use an 8,000 lb tow bar with a 4,000 lb vehicle (its actual CAT Scale weight). Note that its published curb weight is 3,665 lbs.

GoingNoWhereFast has it correct. Published curb weights are like those commercials that say you can save "up to" an unbelievable amount of money.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F53 GCWR.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	295115  
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #39

Quote:
My thoughts? Wranglers hold their value. So sell it and find an alternative vehicle that is within the towing capacity of your motorhome.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:46 AM   #40
C-T

Quote:
People get WAY too wrapped up on tow limits on the internet, its like asking about oil brands.

Yes, you should generally stay close to the rating but I wouldn't loose a wink of sleep about a few hundred over though. Imo, the guy that modified his and pulls 10k is probably overkill but has the right idea if you want a little extra.

I couldn't find the link but researching this before the tow limits of F53's came down to the rear frame wasn't boxed along with the attachment of the hitch (bolts down through the frame rail vs horizontal through a boxed frame). A good example of this is a same V10 drive train was used in some form all the way up to F550/650 Heavy Duty trucks.
C-T is offline   Reply With Quote