Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2024, 06:42 PM   #1

Transmission fluid missing & none on ground

2017 Forester 3011DSF - Have to put 3 to 4 qts in. After about 150 miles. Dry under RV & nothing going into radiator . The radiator overflow is on the line all the time so not going there. Local transmission people said dry underneath and nothing showing anywhere. There is no pump thing on the outside of the transmission . There is 2 - 1/2 lines going from transmission to radiator but no problem seen there. No driving problems as long as I keep fluid in it.Can not find anyone around Bardstown,Ky to look at and fix a class C transmission. No lifts large enough.
Sk4109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 06:48 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I just paid 7 grand to have my Buick transmission rebuilt @56k miles. My fault for not checking trans fluid. It has all leaked out. Where? No spots on driveway, no clue it leaked out. So happens it leaked out near the crimp on the cooling line. But the line is covered with some sort of insulation, which was completely soaked. The insulation had been absorbing so much fluid, you never knew it was leaking.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 08:04 PM   #3

Thumbs down Transmission loosing fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I just paid 7 grand to have my Buick transmission rebuilt @56k miles. My fault for not checking trans fluid. It has all leaked out. Where? No spots on driveway, no clue it leaked out. So happens it leaked out near the crimp on the cooling line. But the line is covered with some sort of insulation, which was completely soaked. The insulation had been absorbing so much fluid, you never knew it was leaking.
So far I have put 11 qts of transmission fluid in. I do not think anything can soak up that much plus the original 5 qts. But thanks for the suggestion. 5 transmission mechanics have looked at it so far. All found nothing. Still looking for someone who works on class C motor homes.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:16 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk4109 View Post
So far I have put 11 qts of transmission fluid in. I do not think anything can soak up that much plus the original 5 qts. But thanks for the suggestion. 5 transmission mechanics have looked at it so far. All found nothing. Still looking for someone who works on class C motor homes.
Wow. That's crazy. Good luck finding out what's going on.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #5

Well that makes no sense to me as I'm sure the same to you. I would think that there should be something wet or something smoking if there is that much loss. If that is an E 450 I believe the total capacity for transmission fluid is around 18 quarts. That would be dry to full including all the lines, torque converter and the transmission itself. I would think there is a light truck ceneter in Kentucky. There is a darn good one here in the Kansas City area that works on motorhomes all the time but there should be something closer to you.

If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they went.

Will Rogers
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:27 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Following this thread... V10 Triton I presume. Years ago Ford (and other auto manufacturers) used a transmission modulator valve on the intake manifold to manage trans shifting by sensing vacuum. When a seal or diaphram in the valve started to fail, transmission fluid would get sucked into the intake manifold and burned as combustion. I'm not sure when Ford switched that out but I'm almost certain it was long before 2017. Maybe someone more familiar with Fords can comment.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 11:44 PM   #7
Retired Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Following this thread... V10 Triton I presume. Years ago Ford (and other auto manufacturers) used a transmission modulator valve on the intake manifold to manage trans shifting by sensing vacuum. When a seal or diaphram in the valve started to fail, transmission fluid would get sucked into the intake manifold and burned as combustion. I'm not sure when Ford switched that out but I'm almost certain it was long before 2017. Maybe someone more familiar with Fords can comment.
Exactly what I was thinking but I doubt they still use them, but who knows. I haven’t worked on transmissions since tech school back in the early 80’s. I was a tech at new car dealerships 1983-1998. Would think everything in the last 20 years would have electronic valve bodies and computers controlling them.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:35 AM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
Exactly what I was thinking but I doubt they still use them, but who knows. I havenít worked on transmissions since tech school back in the early 80ís. I was a tech at new car dealerships 1983-1998. Would think everything in the last 20 years would have electronic valve bodies and computers controlling them.
If there are no visible signs of a leak, and you're certain transmission fluid is not mixing into the radiator, it would be easy enough to check if any codes are being stored even though the check engine light isn't on. Codes relating to the catalytic converter or O2 sensor would be a signal that transmission fluid is getting burned with air/fuel combustion.

To the OP, please let us know how this gets resolved and hope you uncover the problem soon.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 05-29-2024, 05:12 AM   #9

How far is Louisville? Someone has to work on bigger vehicle transmissions I would think. Any truck repair shops or bigger truck sales near by? Any small business that use ton trucks that could point you?

Good Luck and please let us all know what your issue was if found?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post

A mechanic looked and said no modulator vslve. Thanks for trying.
sk4109
Old 05-29-2024, 02:31 PM   #11

You may get more replies posting under the Forester subforum or the General Motorhome forum, vs. the FR3 forum.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:23 PM   #12

Don't know what year Ford switched, I assume they changed it by now, but older E-450s like my 2006, have the parking brake attached to the rear of the transmission housing and is lubricated by the transmission fluid.

This style of parking brake grips the drives driveshaft when actuated and is known to leak transmission fluid. Mines seeping. If there's a complete failure in the parking brake housing seal the loss of fluid can be large.

If anyone's been underneath I would have thought they'd seen a wet parking brake though but it would be where the driveshaft connects to the rear transmission housing.

This model of the Ford parking brake retails for about $2400. Aftermarket brakes of this type can be found for $600-800.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:29 AM   #13

Rv transmission loosing fluid -I finally found a place that does oil change and new tires on cars, trucks and campers that said he was willing to put it on a lift and look at. Now I have had a few car transmission mechanics look all over but none could lift. They looked at booth end of cooling lines & saw nothing. This guy looking at now said you can not see this on your back on the ground. Two people with suggestions were right. There is a pin hole on one of the cooling lines and since it comes out only when pressure, the wind carried it off & not on ground.The webbing material around the line soaked up the fluid and rest went into air while driving but not on underbody. Said it will take a couple days to get a new line. Thanks to Terry & Dwayne at American Tire for final solving of this.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:33 AM   #14
Scoundrel

Everyone loves a happy ending! Glad you found the problem and a simple fix no less.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 05-30-2024, 11:03 AM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Rv transmission loosing fluid -I finally found a place that does oil change and new tires on cars, trucks and campers that said he was willing to put it on a lift and look at. Now I have had a few car transmission mechanics look all over but none could lift. They looked at booth end of cooling lines & saw nothing. This guy looking at now said you can not see this on your back on the ground. Two people with suggestions were right. There is a pin hole on one of the cooling lines and since it comes out only when pressure, the wind carried it off & not on ground.The webbing material around the line soaked up the fluid and rest went into air while driving but not on underbody. Said it will take a couple days to get a new line. Thanks to Terry & Dwayne at American Tire for final solving of this.
That must have been what happened to my Buick! Glad they discovered it, hopefully no trans damage like I had.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Usually that would be noticed by small oil spots on the back of the vehicle.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 01:29 PM   #17

missing transmission fluid

Had this problem with a car and found that the shift modulator diaphragm had ruptured and fluid was being sucked out via the vacuum line, don't know if this pertains to your situation, but?
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
Had this problem with a car and found that the shift modulator diaphragm had ruptured and fluid was being sucked out via the vacuum line, don't know if this pertains to your situation, but?
Post 13 he reported it is fixed.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #19

Welcome to Forest River Forums!

DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote