Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

Trip Wizard and the Garmin 770 GPS

Howdy, I am using Trip Wizard to help plan my future trips, and so far I think I like it. However I can not get the export trip feature to work to my Garmin 770 GPS. In part because I cannot get trip wizard to load on the Android base notepad that the 770 is running on. Is anyone else doing this? If so can you tell me how you go about doing it and or give me some pointers on what to expect? Not sure if the complete trip is going to transfer over or just the stops get saved so I can call them up.
The other thing I am wondering is are other users simply doing a day to day route plan on the GPS or are you running your complete trip and just stopping at the way points that the campgrounds set? Lastly, if this is not the correct area to post this topic let me know. I looked on the boards and could not really find a board that talked about planning or electronic gadgets.
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

I use RV Trip Wizard and a Garmin 660. To download the the maps from RV Wizard into the Garmin you have to use Garmin Basecamp. First you download the map in GPS format from RV Trip Wizard, then open the map with Basecamp. There are several videos on this topic.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
I use RV Trip Wizard and a Garmin 660. To download the the maps from RV Wizard into the Garmin you have to use Garmin Basecamp. First you download the map in GPS format from RV Trip Wizard, then open the map with Basecamp. There are several videos on this topic.
Well that is a good tip, I had no idea. Is basecamp a program, app, part of the GPS? I guess I need to go find out more about it. Thanks
Old 09-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #4

You can download Basecamp from Garmin. Do a google search it will come up. It is a program for your computer.

Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Old 09-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
You can download Basecamp from Garmin. Do a google search it will come up. It is a program for your computer.
Thanks for the info. Hope I am not a PIA, but if it is on the computer, how do you load the route to your GPS. I will go do some learning but I am begining to think it would be just as easy as to output the stops to Excell and then type in the stops each day before heading out. Learning another program might be too much. Again thanks.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #6

You should have a USB cable that came with your Garmin. Use the USB to connect that to the computer. Once Connected you may have to download Garmin Express which updates your maps and software on the Garmin. You can then download Garmin Basecamp and the software will detect the model of Garmin that is connected.

Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Old 09-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
NXR

There's a dedicated iRV2 forum for RV Trip Wizard where their people provide support and other users provide assistance: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/

Honestly, I plan the entire trip in RVTW and then I just type in each day's trip into my Garmin 785 so each day is called up as a separate trip as opposed to having one gigantic trip.

Ray
Old 09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
There's a dedicated iRV2 forum for RV Trip Wizard where their people provide support and other users provide assistance: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/

Honestly, I plan the entire trip in RVTW and then I just type in each day's trip into my Garmin 785 so each day is called up as a separate trip as opposed to having one gigantic trip.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I will go check out the form. The last two trips I did I did what you are suggusting, like you am thinking it is just as easy. I really like both tools, the Garmin and the Trip Wizard, just wish they played better together.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winddancer View Post
Thanks Ray, I will go check out the form. The last two trips I did I did what you are suggusting, like you am thinking it is just as easy. I really like both tools, the Garmin and the Trip Wizard, just wish they played better together.
Someone would have to develop a "Send to Garmin" feature for me to consider doing this electronically because I'm an occasional user. If I was full-time and had to move sites every couple of weeks I'd investigate an automated method.

You might want to check out this post and PM the fellow to see if he is still working on his project: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f287/loo...pp-499712.html

I have developed a little PC app that reads an Excel file exported from RVTW and converts it to a GPX file suitable for import to (at least) a Garmin RV890.

It only runs on a PC and I have only tested it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 where it seems to work.

I'm looking for a person to test the app and see if they can get a Trip full of Stops from RVTW to a late model Garmin GPS.

Ray