Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #21
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
This is from memory, possibly incorrect. I imagine BC will pop in with corrections.

1) The problem occurs in high-humidity environments after several years. The material was used for several years before enough cases occurred to recognize the problem.

2) The material is not being used any more.

3) In some cases Forest River may be able to direct you to the manufacturer from whom you can get new seat covers at an advantageous cost.

4) I don't believe anyone is providing warranty replacements or seat covers.
Larry is 100% correct. I have a 2013 Mirada and in my case, FR sent me replacement material, which I replaced myself. After 4 years the new stuff has not peeled at all.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #22

2016 FR3 32DS Peeling Sofa and Captain Chairs

We are having the same issue with our 2016 32DS. Just started this year - out of nowhere the sofa and driver's captain's chair started peeling and it just won't stop. We tried patching with no luck. Reupholstering is too expensive so we decided to go ahead and replace the sofa and captain's chairs.
3lafrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #23

Peeling upholstery

2019 Georgetown motorhome peeling seats also. Bought the extra insurance when we purchased new. We will see if they just take my money and run or they will do something about this problem
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #24

I have had the same issue on our 2015 Legacy, have now replaced everything at a significant cost, hope it all hangs in there.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #25

Vinyl just falling apart

We have a 2014 Georgetown that we purchased new and always keep breathable material over our couch. When we returned home, we unpack and thoroughly clean the camper. We removed the couch cover and saw that it was splitting and peeling between the cushions. We were devestated especially due the price we paid for the Georgetown and being so meticulous with the care of our furniture. I contacted Forest River and explained the situation and that I thought their product was better made than this. They asked some questions and requested pictures. A few days later I received a notice from Forest River that they would be sending a replacement couch. I was truly surprised and appreciative of the outcome. Therefore I recommend contacting Forest River. You have nothing to loose
Edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #26

Prolems with my Coachman as well. I don't know what to do.
Patty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsal View Post
My 2015 Fr3 , I have replaced my entire dinet set because the all the vinyl was just peeling like a snake shedding its skin now my captains chairs are doing the same thing I had the dinet reapolsterd at a cost of 500.00 I'll have to either do that with the captains chairs or get new ones ,anyone else having this problem?
Yes I have the same year fr3 30ds. I have had to replace all captain chairs, couch and dinette. Brought it in to the upholstery shop and they took it all apart and put it all back together. $2500 Excellent job with product used for marine upholstery.
Forest River did send the whole set at no cost but I didn't want to spend labor to put the same thing.
Boudreauxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #28

2018 GT5 vinyls seats

I’ll add mine to the list of people having problems with their seats. My 2018 Georgetown GT5 has started to peel. I emailed Sam at FR and he said he maybe able to send me replacement material. However it’s the same stuff. I’m either going to replace it with something else or sell it.
Kahunaobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #29

Georgetown 2014, 270
Had same problem with upholstery. Contacted FR and they sent me new free seat covers of much better quality according to the upholstery man I had install them. They did not pay for installation which cost $300. Much better. Need to send pictures and serial # to FR. now only strip on top of bench seats needs replacing. Upholstery man said original very cheap junk.
jdhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #30

I drove mine into the upholstery shop all the work was done , dinette, couch and driver's and passenger captains chairs. I gave $2500 and drove off. Excellent work and quality materials. Work done 5/2021.Work done in Louisiana.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #31

Had the Same problem with our reclining theatre chairs in our 2012 Forest River Solera back in 2015. We had a local marine upholstery shop recover with marine grade vinyl. It's not quite as comfortable and somewhat warmer to sit on but we have had no more issues.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #32

Same problem in our 2016 Salem Hemisphere 282rk. It first started peeling on the recliner headrests, then the couch, dinette cushions and dinette back started peeling.

The dinette cushions are pretty inexpensive to recover. I contacted the company written on the tag and they recovered with fabric for about $350. Looks great.

The couch and recliners are going to be expensive to replace. Recovering them just doesn’t make financial sense. For now, I just covered them with slipcovers from Amazon.
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #33

I just remember the sales person tell me “these are beautiful PU leather coverings throughout, offers comfort, style and design. Made to last! Go ahead, sit down and test em “

Pieces of ****. All these RV’s are. Don’t have high expectations for ANYTHING. I’ve seen a better looking 1995 RV today than what they sell today. it’s all
GARBAGE.

No ones posting on this forum about how great everything is!!! Problems, all problems.
Imagine buying a car and having to take it back to the dealer or it fall apart after only a couple of seasons
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #34

MY 2017 Cherokee Wolf Pack theater seats did the same thing. Getting them reupolstered right now.
mhonn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #35

I have a 2014 Georgetown, and I had to redo the captain chairs, love seat and dinette seats. I called years ago to see f they would help, all I got was sorry, not much we could do, which meant we are going to do nothing.
Jerry3831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsal View Post
My 2015 Fr3 , I have replaced my entire dinet set because the all the vinyl was just peeling like a snake shedding its skin now my captains chairs are doing the same thing I had the dinet reapolsterd at a cost of 500.00 I'll have to either do that with the captains chairs or get new ones ,anyone else having this problem?
Almost all RV vinyl furniture does the same thing since the early 2000's. The furniture manufactures use a faux leather to make the furniture, since it is soft and more comfortable. Problem is it doesn't stick to the backer very well. I keep hearing the problem is fixed but I don't see any evidence of it. The only fix is to replace the furniture with cloth covered chairs and couches. Unfortunatly everyone experiences this, yet they keep buying the same stuff. It always seems to happen just after the warranty expires.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #37

So called leather furniture

We have a 2012 Lexington 283GTS. Towards the end of 2018 the leather on the drivers and passenger seats started to fall apart. Drivers seat was the worst. In 2019 the pullout couch started to do the same. I found out that the material was supplied by Williamsburg Furniture. I contacted Melody Douglass at Williamsburg
(514)773-7711. I provide her with the info on the unit and they were able to supply exact matching, sewed to fit covers for seats and couch. I redid the seats myself but took the couch to an upholsterer and he put all the new material on.
The seats material were $156.25 each and the couch material was $275. The upholster charged $400.
Well worth the money
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #38

I have a 2017 Rockwood MininLite. The sofa and dinette cushions are peeling like a snake.
pt35cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #39

Another Forest River thread with the same upholstery problems. This has been reported on this site for several years. My 2014 FR3 started to peel in 2015. My "Extended Warranty" was useless in getting this repaired or replaced.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2612083
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #40

Don't know but I suspect a lot has to do with how hot your RV gets and how much direct sunlight hits the furniture. I can only imagine how hot it gets inside some of these RVs when they are not in use. Cold may also be a factor.

Also seems like a common area for peeling is where the back of your head hits the couch or chair. Maybe oil from your hair and neck effects it.

We have been lucky so far but we full time and never gets very warm inside.

I can't imagine anyone thinking they put real leather on RV furniture unless they were buying a $500,000 motor coach.

But I understand the frustration.