Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #61
Craig and Jillian

Replaced Dinette and Sleeper Sofa

I got tired of looking at the peeling furniture too. Quotes to recover were less than replacing it altogether. I went to cloth, so I didn't have to deal with peeling in another 5 years, plus the color really lightened up space. The sleeper sofa has gel memory foam bamboo mattress which is WAY more comfortable than the previous sofa bed too! I installed (and stained) some trim replacements and moved the table 2.5" right as well. Ordered from RecPro and they were delivered within 5 days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	264286  
Go_Postal_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #62

Question

That furniture looks great! But I have a few questions for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Postal_91 View Post
Quotes to recover were less than replacing it
I'm confused. If quotes for recovering were less than replacing, why did you decide to replace?

Quote:
I installed (and stained) some trim replacements
Are you referring to trim on the floor, because the new furniture doesn't cover as much floor as the original furniture?

Quote:
and moved the table 2.5" right as well.
What do you mean by that? Is the table now farther from one bench than the other bench?

Quote:
Ordered from RecPro and they were delivered within 5 days!
Could you please provide the model numbers of the furniture you chose?

Did you have to give up the storage space under the dinette benches, or do you just have to access it by lifting up the bench seats?

Did you not have to do the driver/passenger seats as well?

Thanks!
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #63
Craig and Jillian

Clearly I needed to restate the cost sentence. It was more cost effective to replace. Recover quotes were 2000 and up. The furniture in the photo was 2400. No brainer to me.

Trim on the floor doesn’t go all the way across with the stock dinette. Plus I added trim on the wall below the window to cover the holes from the brackets that hold up the side cushions on the stock dinette.

The table was moved all the way to wall below the window. Stock dinette left it out several inches to make room for the cushion on the wall. Easy to move by drilling new holes and sliding the brackets underside of the table. 2 minute job. Bonus it no longer sticks out beyond the dinette to bump into when the slides are in.

Storage (and seatbelts) on the new dinette are easier to access as the benches are hinged!

RecPro 44” Dinette Cloth with storage
RecPro 65” Charles Cloth Sleeper Sofa

Driver and Passenger seats are on order from Shop4seats. Long wait for them though. I’ll post pics next year when they arrive.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #64

Thanks for the informative reply!

You're definitely right about how the fabric really lightened up the space. Our furniture is also peeling, and we really want a lighter fabric.

My wife covered the dark brown centers of the window valences, and rubber-stamped the rest of the valence with a lighter color:
Old 10-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #65

Question

Sorry to bother you again, Craig, but I have more questions now!

We first intended to re-upholster everything, but as other people have mentioned, the quotes for that are coming in as equal or greater to buying new furniture. The RecPro furniture that you bought looks very nice, so we're leaning towards that.

I sure wish they offered a slightly wider version of the hide-a-bed sofa. The 65" one leaves some empty space on the ends. We actually don't care about the bed part, but they don't offer a simple sofa. The Jack Knife sofa comes in a 70" version, which might fit, but it would be risky to buy. The TriFold sofa comes in a 67" size, which would be a good fit.

What I would really like is the Recliner Sofa, but it requires a few more inches of depth than our slide-out floor provides.

Now for the questions:

1) When I investigated removing the existing dinette benches, I discovered a problem under the rear bench:

What did you do about those boxes that consume some of the floor space? What is behind them if you remove them?

2) Why did you not order the Driver and Passenger seats from RecPro? Is it because they don't offer any in cloth? Could you provide a link to the ones you chose?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #66
Craig and Jillian

The piece at the top of your photo is easily removed. Underneath is just a wiring harness. The RecPro Dinette had space/clearance to move the wiring under the dinette without crimping anything.

The piece on the right of the photo is also easily removed. It covers a small metal electrical box. Once I removed the cover, I also unscrewed the electrical box from the floor. I installed the dinette, then screwed the electrical box back down, very near where it was previously, inside the dinette storage.

As for the length, the previous sofa had about 1.5" of space on each side, and the sofa I chose was 3 inches shorter. This gained me enough space for the cheap side Amazon table/magazine rack in the photo.

We wanted cloth for the driver passenger seats too, so we went with Shop4seats on those. I chose a brown cloth that looks like it will coordinate well. I'm recovering the engine cover with material from the dinette/sofa and getting pillows in the captains chair material for the sofa to help coordinate. We ordered the wide Boy seat for the passenger side, since my daughter and wife like to sit together anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	265190  
Old 11-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #67

Question

Here I go again, with more questions!

Did you get the dinette benches positioned such that you can still use the existing table to form a bed?

I measured a little over 69" of floorspace wide for the sofa. You ordered a 65" sofa, but in your first photo it looks like there's more than 4" of empty floor next to your sofa (where you put the table). RecPro says that their dimensions rounded-up to the next inch. Would you say they exaggerated the width of the 65" sofa by more than an inch or two?

Did you request fabric samples from Shop4seats before ordering? We were very disappointed in their cloth fabrics, compared to RecPro. I sure wish RecPro offered a cloth option for their captain's chairs.

After several phone discussions with different RecPro reps, we decided it's okay for us to order the Recliner Sofa that we want, even though we don't have the recommended amount of depth in the slideout. We may not be able to recline the sofa completely before the backrest hits the wall, but that's okay with us.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #68
Craig and Jillian

Sorry for the delayed reply. I haven't logged in recently.

The dinette is about an inch narrower. That inch, combined with the shorter sofa gained me 5" of space for the side table. I always hated there was nowhere to put my drink/iPhone/TV remote when sitting on the couch. Problem solved!

Yes, the dinette still will make a bed. I measured the table width before positioning the forward bench. That said, we have never used it for the purpose, nor have I ever lowered the overhead bunk. There's just three of us and two dogs, so neither is needed even when my daughter brings a friend.

Now back to my long wait for the new driver/passenger seats... Come on March!
Old 12-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edith View Post
We have a 2014 Georgetown that we purchased new and always keep breathable material over our couch. When we returned home, we unpack and thoroughly clean the camper. We removed the couch cover and saw that it was splitting and peeling between the cushions. We were devestated especially due the price we paid for the Georgetown and being so meticulous with the care of our furniture. I contacted Forest River and explained the situation and that I thought their product was better made than this. They asked some questions and requested pictures. A few days later I received a notice from Forest River that they would be sending a replacement couch. I was truly surprised and appreciative of the outcome. Therefore I recommend contacting Forest River. You have nothing to loose
Had the same problem, i will not buy again or recommend Georgetown / Forest River RV or any other brand with cheap known upholstery.
wilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #70

Did you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilr View Post
Had the same problem, i will not buy again or recommend Georgetown / Forest River RV or any other brand with cheap known upholstery.
Did you read this post and the subsequent responses including this one and this one?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote