Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #1

Water flavor from the tap.

We have a carbon filter installed on the water inlet to fill the main water storage tank. But all of the plastic tanks and hoses in the RV give the water from the kitchen faucet a bad taste.

Has anyone tried to install another filter directly to the kitchen faucet to get rid of the bad taste?

If we could find a way to solve this proper would not be stuck hauling water bottles with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

the closer to the faucet, the more effective it will be for taste. Anything is possible if you want it done. Shouldn't be to hard.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Has your RV been winterized using antifreeze? Does your RV have an installed filter next to the water pump? If so in either case you might be tasting the residue of antifreeze. Even if someone put antifreeze in the freshwater tank. I would start with ensuring the filter is removed from the filter housing if installed and then start a good flush. Drain the FW tank and fill three times each time add 1 Tablespoon of bleach each time. Then fill the FW tank and open every faucet and turn on the RV water pump, let her run. After the FW tank is 1/2 emptied fill a glass and taste. You might even have to remove the faucet strainer/aireator in the nozzles. I do not run a installed filter in my system. I do have the blue torpeto filter for citywater connecton. Good luck.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #4

I have a brita attached to the faucet in the kitchen. We removed the entire attachment prior to winterizing. Its been so long since I actually used the RV (August), I can't remember the water taste but that probably means it worked.
3BadDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Team

To get the best results, we use a Brita pitcher filter for drinking and food prep water. When we return home, we put the filter element in a zip-loc bag and store it in the home freezer. This prevents mold and bacteria build up that can occur when the filter sits unused in a hot trailer in between uses. A little more effort but results in great tasting water and coffee.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
TGR

Donanddona give good advice. I’ve experienced poor water taste from my potable water holding tank that was cured by sanitizing the entire water system.

The procedure below is from my Forest River Owner’s Manual.

To Sanitize the System:
  • Prepare a chlorine solution using a gallon of water and ¼ cup of liquid household bleach, (5% sodium hypochlorinatesolution.) Use one gallon of solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.
  • With an empty tank and all faucets and drains closed, pour the solution into the fresh water tank.
  • Completely fill the tank with fresh water.
  • Switch on the water pump. Open all faucets one at a time until all air is purged and the water flows freely.
  • Again, add fresh water to the tank until the water level reaches the fill spout.
  • Allow the solution to stand in the tank, undisturbed, for at least 3 (three) hours.
  • Drain the system by opening all faucets and the fresh water tank drain valve, while flushing the system with fresh water of drinking quality.
  • Continue flushing the system, allowing the water to flow for several minutes.
  • Close the tank drain valve and all faucets. Refill the system with water of known drinking quality.
I’ve found that leaving the bleach solution do its job overnight, rather than for 3 hours, does a more reliable job and more than one drain and flushing cycle with good-tasting potable works best to remove any lingering bleach smell. I also drain the hot water heater and make sure it is included in the sanitizing and flushing cycles. You can find similar slightly varying procedures on the Internet. I like the RV101 TV series of Internet tutorials.

http://rv101.tv/2012/02/29/how-to-sanitize-your-rv-fresh-water-system/
Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

We use the blue tube at the city connection and then a Britta pitcher. Never had any taste issues.

2015 FR3 30

MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #8

I agree with TGR. I follow the procedure he listed and it works well for us. do the procedure once a month. It does not take that long - 24 hrs. to complete.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

Smile Bad tasting water

This method works for me. Completely drain and re-flush the system using I box of baking soda dissolved into 3 gallons of hot water (dissolve the baking soda before adding it to the water tank). Run your faucets until water comes out. Let it set for 3-4 hours. Also in you have an in house filter remove it. I use two filters a hose attached Camco filter 40013, for the coach (I have a forest river coach filter system) the Camco 40621 and 40624 fit perfect the same size as factory filter. Good luck!
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #10

Thanks for so many quick and really helpful responses. We bought a PUR filter that installs on the faucet and you switch it on and off as you need filtered water. It fixed the problem.

We live in AZ so no winterizing for us, but I like the advice to remove it when not in use and store it in the freezer.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshoes View Post
Thanks for so many quick and really helpful responses. We bought a PUR filter that installs on the faucet and you switch it on and off as you need filtered water. It fixed the problem.

We live in AZ so no winterizing for us, but I like the advice to remove it when not in use and store it in the freezer.

You mentioned that you don't winterize, I wonder if part of the problem may be water sitting too long in the lines and tank? You may want to consider sanitizing the system a coupe of times a year.

my two cents.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
You mentioned that you don't winterize, I wonder if part of the problem may be water sitting too long in the lines and tank? You may want to consider sanitizing the system a coupe of times a year.

my two cents.
Good point! Agree! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
TGR

It is great to hear your water now tastes good after the filter. However, if the water you are putting in your RV system tastes fine but it becomes bad tasting because of your RV's water system, then you need to sanitize your RV's system. You don't want to just rely on a filter blocking enough bacteria to give the water an acceptable taste. Rather, you want to remove the bacteria from the equation. Periodic sanitizing of your RV's water system is an important maintenance task.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #14

You are right that we should sanitize every few months. So far the longest it has sat was just a few weeks. We bought it in May and have taken 1 long trip and several short ones.

As an aside, last weekend we decided to head out on Friday around noon and we were on the road less than 2 hours later. We had no campground reservations and decided that we could just figure it out as we went.

I wanted to take the dogs to play in the snow, so we went to Prescott AZ which is at 5500 feet. There was snow and sunshine and very friendly people.

It was a fantastic trip - exactly what I imagined having an RV would be like.

Tags
water